Graphic Cards New Graphic Card GTX 970 or GTX 960

anujgupta

Disciple
Hello all,

I am planning to buy a new Graphic Card as my old one is not able to play latest games at 1080p
(1920X1080 60Hz)

My options are:
1. GTX 970 or
2. GTX 960

Please suggest
I am living in delhi, i was thinking of buying it online with Credit Card as there will be EMI option rather than Nehru Place.

My PC Config is:
CPU : I7 CPU - 2.80GHZ
Motherboard : Asus P7H55 (is my current motherboard will be compatible with GTX 970)
RAM : 8 GB
GPU : R6850
Monitor : DELL ST2220L
Hard Drive : 4 (250GB, 500GB, 1 TB & 2TB)
Power Supply : Cooler Master Extreme 650W

Also, please suggest whether i required new power supply as well

Even if you do get a GTX 970, you will be massively CPU limited. Get a 960 or R9 285/380. Anything else will be wasted on that machine.

I m not able to understand CPU LIMITED.
Your CPU is too slow to be feeding the 970 with the amount of data it needs to perform to full potential. With that old a CPU, you'll only see 60-70% GPU utilization in a 970.

Of course it depends on the game's code too - some need more CPU horsepower than the rest.

Your CPU is too slow to be feeding the 970 with the amount of data it needs to perform to full potential. With that old a CPU, you'll only see 60-70% GPU utilization in a 970.

Of course it depends on the game's code too - some need more CPU horsepower than the rest.

What CPU required to meet the requirement of gtx 970

Even if you do get a GTX 970, you will be massively CPU limited. Get a 960 or R9 285/380. Anything else will be wasted on that machine.

Is this still true with the latest DirectX 12 improvements? At least with the OP's config?

you should be able to get it cheaper from a dealer rather than online, unless it drops seriously low during a sale. and yes, a 960 would be better suited for your machine.

thanx guys for all the suggestion.

after seeing the feedback i have decided to go for gtx 960, as i wanted to buy graphics card on EMI that's why i m looking for an online option.

one question is still unanswered...?

what about the power supply???

thanx guys for all the suggestion.

after seeing the feedback i have decided to go for gtx 960, as i wanted to buy graphics card on EMI that's why i m looking for an online option.

one question is still unanswered...?

what about the power supply???
Your PSU is more than enough for GTX960.OK.

The option for EMI on any transaction on your credit card can be applied even after making the purchase. This option is there in the bank's website for your credit card. Just login to your account and look for it. So it doesn't matter if you buy online or locally.
I have used HDFC, SBI & CitiBank cards and all of them give me the option to convert any transaction more than a specific value (for e.g 4000) to EMI.. Interest rates will be the same unless you get a deal from any online store which gives EMI free option...
So don't hesitate to purchase the card locally if you get it cheaper. In that way atleast you will be able to cover the interest amount using the difference between online and local dealer...[DOUBLEPOST=1448029440][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I don't think that an i7 2nd gen CPU will limit a gtx 970.. But I'm not sure.. Maybe experts here can provide some benchmarks or other documents to confirm it..
I would advise to go for the 970 if you have the budget.. that way you are safe for atleast 3 years more..

Back