New cable TV Tariffs to put a hole in your pocket!

Are you saving money with this New TRAI rule?

• Yes (Saved more than ₹100/mo)

• No (My bills have increased)

• Don't see any change! I pay the same

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mine too. Only watch cricket and Tarak Mehta so man it's going to drastically reduce will save me money! I think youll see them after 28th or 29th as per the ads that are being shown!
Don't the ads say that call your operator and choose your packs before 29th.

I already spoke with tatasky and they said as of now they havent came up with new packs etc. You will be informed accordingly.

But my question is what will happen to the base pack, regional free pack then? Fine the base pack will be something around 100-130range again with some stupid useless bundles.
But then we are suppose to get free regional channels right? In my case in regional pack I have all Marathi and Hindi channels free incl movies+music.
Also, I hope for somebody who has already done yearly and quarterly recharges, everything will get deducted from their existing balance and in fact get a month or two extra due to reduced pack prices.

Tatasky was unclear on this part.

I have a South Mega pack for Rs.702 with Airtel including most of the HD channels. When I enquired about the change after Dec 29, the customer care was clueless and said that they were unaware if the charges will be less or more after end of December. Since air-tel CS is not much helpful do I need to select each channel now and what about the HD channels, do I need to select them separately also.

The packs of individual networks are already up. Star, Sony, Zee, Viacom 18 etc. have all put up their new a-la-carte and bouquet pricing. For people, who want to subscribe to only a limited set of channels, this new TRAI order is a win. On the other hand, people who have been paying ~ 400-500 a month for all channels (HD + SD), should get ready to pay significantly higher prices.

I have a South Mega pack for Rs.702 with Airtel including most of the HD channels. When I enquired about the change after Dec 29, the customer care was clueless and said that they were unaware if the charges will be less or more after end of December. Since air-tel CS is not much helpful do I need to select each channel now and what about the HD channels, do I need to select them separately also.

Thats bloody expensive. I have Infinity package, and to my knowledge, get almost all the channels, including South. 6K yearly.

I have Airtel with My Pack @99 PM, and just Bengali SD pack added @65 or something per month. Basically around 170 PM I pay, for Bengali channels only. I don't watch TV, only keeping it for my mother. This TRAI order is going to help me how exactly? Rs.154 is now mandatory to be paid for 100 FTA channels right? Well will I have any Bengali channels in that pack? No right? So now I have to choose the channels separately? LMAO! I have seen ads of different Zee, Sony, Star family packages and they come for somewhere around Rs.45 PM. Well who cares about that! Where's the regional pack for old folks? Like Bengali pack, which will include Bengali channels only, be it from Zee, Star or Sony or whatever!

This thing is on par with DEMON and mandatory 35 recharge PM for mobile operators in terms of coercive corruption.

You get to choose what FTA channels you want in those 100 channels. If they are not FTA then you only pay for thosr channel's MRP. Most likely you will end up saving a small amount.

These Rs. 18 & Rs. 19 channels accumulate 75% of revenue through Ads and still ask for premium amounts for the channels, mere 25% is what they earn form MSO's.

Out of a 30 minute program, Advertisements are around 12 minutes and 18 minutes it is the program. :confused:

It's about time to discourage such channels and switch to Web -- Cut the cord!

Last edited:
These Rs. 18 & Rs. 19 channels accumulate 75% of revenue through Ads and still ask for premium amounts for the channels, mere 25% is what they earn form MSO's.

Out of a 30 minute program, Advertisements are around 12 minutes and 18 minutes it is the program. :confused:

It's about to discourage such channels and switch to Web -- Cut the cord!

Actually there was a TRAI (I think) recommendation that the paid channels should have no more than 13 mins of ads per hour of programming. It never actually made it to reality. I am also eagerly waiting for the SC to uphold the 15% bundling discount. With this we should see drastic fall in a-la-carte pricing of premium channels.

It's about time to discourage such channels and switch to Web -- Cut the cord!
streaming services are also adding ads on their streams. why does hotstar/sonyliv show ads during sports coverage?
fox cricket doesnt show ads on their paid channels and its glorious watching a cricket match without a single ad. a lot of commentary happens between bowls and we dont hear that due to these stupid ads.

Where do I select these FTA and paid channels. They keep advertising but there is no list in the airtel portal. The same goes for tatasky also.

TataSky has a scrolling ticker on their starting channel 100 saying something like "Wait for us to contact you to migrate your packs, until then enjoy your existing packs"

Back