Netflix Launches Super Simple Speed Test Site ...

PoBoy

Skilled
http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/28139/netflix-launches-super-simple-speed-test-site/

If you need to check your internet connection speed, Speedtest.net is usually the place to go, but Netflix has released a simpler tool that may be ideal in some cases. Called "Fast.com," the site launches directly into a speed test and it only tells you your download speed. ...
Unlike Speedtest, Fast comes with no settings or ads. It's just a super simple tool.

MTNL Mumbai :
mtnl_mumbai_fast.com.jpg

Great stuff. I hope they keep it clean and simple but at the same time would be nice if they add maybe an advanced option to check which server it's checking against and maybe things like ping etc. Basically speedtest.net without the crap :)

Simple and fast.
But Upload speed is not shown. It would be useful to include that in results.

( Why does Fast.com only report on download speed?

Download speed is most relevant for people who are consuming content on the internet, and we want Fast.com to be a very simple and fast speed test.)

Almost all speedtest.net results are rigged by ISPs, i have found fast.com to be much more accurate than speedtest.

Anyone using speedtest.net should select a server furthest away from your current location for a relatively accurate real-world result. I generally select NYC servers.

Anyone using speedtest.net should select a server furthest away from your current location for a relatively accurate real-world result. I generally select NYC servers.

Iirc the 80% of promised speed applies to DL from Indian servers. Not sure though.
Do ISPs like ACT which give high speeds actually deliver with international servers or are graded from peered -> Indian -> International servers?

Shows pretty slow speeds just 18mbps while speedtest shows actual speeds which is 54mbps.
Because simple reason is.

Speedtest in collaboration with your isp conducts test on server hosted in same or nearby city thus falsifying the international part of testing. No hopping across the gateways and international server.

So this way your local isp gets seen in good colors.

Just select American server and re do the test. That will give correct answer.

Hardly any major sites are hosted in india.[DOUBLEPOST=1473050287][/DOUBLEPOST]Majority of sites are hosted abroad.

Because simple reason is.

Speedtest in collaboration with your isp conducts test on server hosted in same or nearby city thus falsifying the international part of testing. No hopping across the gateways and international server.

So this way your local isp gets seen in good colors.

Just select American server and re do the test. That will give correct answer.

Hardly any major sites are hosted in india.[DOUBLEPOST=1473050287][/DOUBLEPOST]Majority of sites are hosted abroad.
I don't understand why people keep perpetrating this myth in today's day and age. Most if not all, sites use some form of CDN. Some of which have presence/servers in India whereas others are located at least in Singapore. That means your itunes streaming/youtube video is served from a server nearby the isp country. Yes a pingtest is necessary if you are playing games as that is terrible but content-wise you don't need to connect to an american server.

Back