PC Peripherals Need UPS with Future proofing

Mr.J

Skilled
Current config:

Intel i5 5500
GPU R9 270x Dual-X
Dell U2312HM
Seasonic S12 II 520

Looking at ~1KVA options but Amazon doesn't seem to have sine wave UPS. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I have the SUA1000uxi its capacity is 800w and takes two external batteries, there are two versions one with a 5amp charger and the made for india version with a 15A charger suitable for batteries like 150ah or higher.

I have two SUA1000Uxi for two floors and I use it power the PC and the entire lighting/fan or any load under 500w with no inrush current.
It also acts as a stabilizer for all the device connected to it allows a output voltage of 200 to 253v without any step or step down and anything above this range is stabilized. It's max input voltage for stabilzation is 168v to 278v (output 200v to 240v +) and if the input voltage is beyond this range its starts to give power from battery which can be set to 220v, 230v and 240v for battery mode.

Last edited:
Damn. I had heard APC might cause issues for Seasonic because it's not pure sine wave and power supply won't hold current long enough for UPS to kick in. :confused:

The back-ups will but the smart ups are sine wave i thought. There is the small matter of price though

What about Sukam Falcon plus 1100VA, actual power rating is

0.8 x 1100 x 0.9 = ~800W

Will work with one battery

If you're lucky you might find a bluetooth version that has an app. The std version has no bluetooth

On official site, there's link to buy online which goes to... Shopclues. Which says product discontinued. o_O

Will have to look at their latest lineup I guess.

This is a piece of $h1te. I got this one first. It blew on day two after purchase and after that sukam denied warranty saying burn damage is not covered. Avoid the company and its products like plague!
What exactly blew up inside

Seems like an obvious manufacturing defect, its bad they ignored warranty

Looking at ~1KVA options but Amazon doesn't seem to have sine wave UPS. Any suggestions?
Was thinking of your title and wondering what could be considered as future proofing. And then it came to me, you want extra headroom for expansion

Look at 2kva or a little less but not 1kVa

Today your requirement might be 1kVa, it will be more later ?

Buy APC smart ups with support for external batteries. Sukam /Luminous etc all use low quality cheap transformers inside. You can make out by the weight of the product itself. APC 850VA is around 15 KGs weight and Sukam / Luminous et all are around 5 KGs or less for even 1100KVA. These companies must have cut so many corners you wont get any more than 200-250W load out of them.

While APC home ups sucks as they die multiple times a yr, don't know much about their smart series.
Many people prefer to use Sukam, Microtek etc as these suite perfectly for Indian atmosphere and day to day voltage fluctuations. It may be just few of them failing but that's obvious coz it's electronics eod. Visit any common Indian house and you will majorly find these local brands being used since decades with battery being replaced periodically.

Last edited:
While APC home ups sucks as they die multiple times a yr, don't know much about their smart series.
usually good reviews for the APC home UPS, not so easy to find these days though. The back ups however seems to have lots of negative reviews these days.

Given that Luminous is now owned by Scheider it means the same support network that APC has is also in place

Many people prefer to use Sukam, Microtek etc as these suite perfectly for Indian atmosphere and day to day voltage fluctuations. It may be just few of them failing but that's obvious coz it's electronics eod. Visit any common Indian house and you will majorly find these local brands being used since decades with battery being replaced periodically.
They're popular but the power factor can be low. 0.6 - 0.7. With Zelio, the number at the end does NOT mean VA so check the specs. Misleading !!!

They won't use better quality because of how price sensitive the home segment is. It drives me mad. The home UPS on sale today have not been updated features wise for at least five years

I'm also struck by how difficult it is to find even a half decent review on home ups. you'd think they'd be loads of them but all i see are infomercials, not reviews. Other than what people discuss in various forums its quite hard to get any real info about these products

An open question is how well the sine wave is maintained under load with these brands. This requires a test with either a scope or at least a graphing meter. Expensive equipment unfortunately so no info whatsoever here available unless you go to a service centre and have them do a test with a scope

Last edited:
I am using APC all over my house from past 6 years with no issues. 4 UPS units in all - 1x600VA, 1x650VA, 1x1000VA, 1x1500VA.

I suppose the APC BR1500G-IN should satisfy your needs. It can handle upto 850Watt load, 15K on Amazon. Replacement battery pack costs approx INR1600 but it lasts for minimum 3+ years in my experience.

I have a APC SUA1000UXI and my experience hasnt exactly been stellar. The external batteries usually lost their mojo every few months. I made sure that the battery was never deep cycled, but still the 'remaining time' as shown by apcupsd dropped sharply after few months.

All of that changed when I installed an inverter in the house. During a power cut the inverter gets kicked in first followed by the UPS. I am able keep months of computer uptime with this arrangement. So my 2 cents install both an inverter and an APC ups. I prefer APC because their software works very well and is supported on linux and BSD.

I'm also struck by how difficult it is to find even a half decent review on home ups. you'd think they'd be loads of them but all i see are infomercials, not reviews. Other than what people discuss in various forums its quite hard to get any real info about these products
This is true, lots of googling but not enough information to make a decision.

Was thinking of your title and wondering what could be considered as future proofing. And then it came to me, you want extra headroom for expansion

Look at 2kva or a little less but not 1kVa

Today your requirement might be 1kVa, it will be more later ?

I suppose it won't be higher than 800-900W, all things considered.

You guys are making it even more difficult. [emoji28]

@blr_p - Have you bought an inverter yet. I had ordered a Sukam 2.5kVA in a clearance sale at Industrybuying.com but the item wasn't in good shape and clearly looked abused, so had to return it. Now I am looking for even higher rated models as I might have to run a motor on it for an hour or so, if needed.
Has anyone used or heard of Exide Inverter/UPS. They make good batteries but I have no idea if their inverters are any good.

Also, quick question, is it better to go for 1 higher rated inverter or 2-3 lower rated ones with each assigned to their specific jobs. I am guessing it is better to go for a higher rated one as it can handle the in-rush current better.
I have my house and my animal shed separated by 100ft and I am hoping to buy just one high rated inverter (3.5-5kVA) and use it for both places. Motor being run wouldn't be more than 2HP.

Back