Need to buy a front loading washing machine -15k-25k Budget

vercetti

Skilled
Guys,
I am in bangalore for the next 1.5 weeks and need to buy a new washing machine for my parents.

Preference is front loading and I am mainly looking for "Value for money deal" and not something jazzy.
Budget is flexible and can go upto 25K as well (or more) if the price is justified by regularly usable features.

• I am not upto date on the latest models so looking for help.
  • My mom usually hand washes the delicate clothes and we use machine for daily used clothes, under garments and bedsheets, etc.
  • But I would certainly like to go for a washing machine with capability to clean wash and care delicate clothes
Thanks a lot in advance

Few inputs -

1. Decide capacity that would be required based on family members.
2. Look out for service in city the its intended to use, many better brands have worst services in region.

LG have newer models with direct drive, using since 2 years and going great.

Thanks man....
I am looking at 6-7KG range capacities.....
will do some research on the direct drive models.....

One question....is it advisable to buy online or the brick and mortar shops give a better discount?

Here are my 2cents thoughts if it helps

1. I am assuming u wont be at bangalore after 1.5weeks and ur parents will be the only ones using it, I have heard that in order to use front loading machines, u have to bend and if that an issue u might want to try top load

2. Since its only for 2 person, best decision would be to go for the least possible capacity ie 6kg

3. U might want to prefer buying it from stores rather than online as parents might prefer better offline service rather than talking to cc for any issue if it may arise

I recently wanted to buy a washing machine, and i finalised on a top load - IFB 65STLDR

Had checked out quite a few and found samsung and ifb ones to be best and LG after these 2 brands

All the stored which i checked in respect to front load, 80% stock of all stores had ifb and then samsung, LG were very less

no one gives service now - online or ofline. they will tell you to call service center number. when i bought my wm from shop, the guy called service center and asked for demo in my name. lol.
so i think its better to buy it based on the speed on which you want it. if you buy online it will come in 2 days or 4-5 days or a week. if you buy from a shop and pay cash it will come next day probably.

i think its better to go for a single tub top load machine 6.5KG. Such top loaders can do pillows too. Even those heavy blankets can be washed in the top loaders. only minus point is they take a lot of water depending on wash cycle compared to front loaders. all machines have a water saving mode now.

my experience with top loaders is limited to videocon, samsung, lg. videocon makes nost noise. samsung makes noise. lg is quitest. lg has plastic drum in most models. samsung has steel drum.

i say go to a local shop and check out the wm and buy something that is quiet and has steel drum. all the other features like fuzzy logic wash, delicate clothes, blankets, etc are already a standard part of all the top loading washing machines now. samsung and lg clean clothes with least amount of soap imo. just 1 spoon is enough for 40-60 litres of water. 1+1/2 spoon gives out suds which means too much soap is used. i only use 1.5 spoon for highest load.

edit: btw, the 6kg or 6.5kg = weight of dry clothes and not weight of wet clothes. those water drinking blankets which are 1kg in dry weight become 5-10kg after drinking water i think.

those blankets i'm talking of looks like this but is made of non woven cotton or something. its not possible to wash this in a bucket because we can't lift it up after it becomes wet.

Last edited:
@6pack - I had a positive service feedback for the washing maching i purchased from Vijay Sales, although all they do is call Company person and co ordinate with them but atleast that hassle is saved.

Yes single tub top machine seems best for the requirements of @vercetti - 6.5kg should be the maximum you should opt for.

@vercetti - if you are thinking to go for top load, then my suggestion would be to go for Samsung/ IFB and if not these 2 then LG

from what I was told is that a normal 6.5kg top load would take around 15 normal wear clothes, the washing time ranges from 35mins to 75mins depending on your customization of washing cycle

Thanks @6pack and @Charun ....
as per both your suggestion top is the way to go....

BUT (sorry for the BUT).....FRONT load machine look to be more superior built and maybe more technologically advanced (based on the prices and sales figures)....sorry for my ignorance...
one more issue is that my wife thinks that a front load washing machine can easily fit and blend into the interiors of my utility room compared to the top load....

now unless top load offers better washes and longer life ...i was looking for a front load....

As per your suggestions:
Pros of a top load:
Top load can give me more volume of washes
washing pillows and blankets are possible in top load but maybe difficult in front load

my experiences with a top load:
I own a Onida Sparke worth 18000 +3000 for stand and cover (so 21,000) since 2011.....in the last 3 years itself, I have paid more than 6000 in repairs and still the drum makes a fuking noise that its difficult to watch TV while the machine is running one concrete wall away and at least 25 meters away:(
Top load are always towards the low end segment of the washing machine
no heating filament and usually made of plastic or fiber (whereas front load have cool metallic finish and has steel body as well)

Somehow I am inclined towards a front load......

the drum makes a fuking noise that its difficult to watch TV while the machine is running one concrete wall away and at least 25 meters away:(
The noice maybe due to some coin or metal particle stuck in the drum. Get it checked, I too had this problem and then the technician found a coin in the drum. Now the noise is completely gone.

I think Godrej has a 45 degree tilted washing machine. Like a hybrid between top and front washing machine. I don't know the cost though.

I own a Onida Sparke worth 18000 +3000 for stand and cover (so 21,000) since 2011.....in the last 3 years itself, I have paid more than 6000 in repairs and still the drum makes a fuking noise that its difficult to watch TV while the machine is running one concrete wall away and at least 25 meters away:(

Just like Videocon wm in my uncle's house. Its probably because washing machines are designed to be put on a flat surface. If the tile below is sloped just 1/2 degree the alignment goes off and the wm makes noise. LG has auto adjustment in their washing machines and don't make noise. You can buy that car anti slip mat ( Rs 90 at DMart for a roll) and cut a piece for each leg below the machine and it will dampen the noise a bit.

Front load wash better than top load because of the tumble action i think. Just make sure there is enough space to move around the washing machine if you're buying a front load. They are huge in size and weigh a lot. You wont be moving it once it sits in place.

The noice maybe due to some coin or metal particle stuck in the drum. Get it checked, I too had this problem and then the technician found a coin in the drum. Now the noise is completely gone.
The technician had checked it and replaced a lot of parts just for the noise but I can easily see that the noise looks to be because of the drum moving around and maybe touching the edges or just displaced from original position..... Will check again though

@6pack thanks for your suggestions on the anti slip mat.... I just threw a few yesterday and repenting why I threw them..... Will definitely try this.....

Guys anyone has onida washing machine here?

just use a spirit level to level the machine. put it on the ground next to the machine to see how much you need to lift two of the legs up. I had to do this to my samsung when it was making the noise you described above. it got irritating and after searching the net i figured it was due to the slight slope the tiles had on them to route water to the bathroom. Tile layers in india do this sloping thing to the tiles so that any spilt water goes to one end of the room or to the bathroom or outside the door.

i searched the net for tilted washing machine and didn't find them. godrej, samsung, lg, panasonic - all indian sites.none of them have it. i wam sure i saw an ad of it on tv some years back.
maybe it got discontinued. its a popular model by panasonic in japan. they designed it so that people don't have to bend down too much etc. oh well.

I think Godrej has a 45 degree tilted washing machine. Like a hybrid between top and front washing machine. I don't know the cost though.
Avoid it, cleaning won't be as good as a normal front loader.

The idea of tilt is to make it small. Why ? so it can fit in a small space or through the front door

BUT (sorry for the BUT).....FRONT load machine look to be more superior built and maybe more technologically advanced (based on the prices and sales figures)....sorry for my ignorance...
it can clean better because the clothes go up and come down, slap! like hand wash on a stone but gentler

technologically advanced depends on programs, all sorts of fancy ones are there. But you will use the cotton cycle the most which all have

It can also do boil washes if ever you need that. My most common use is tub maintenance ie to clean & disinfect. Top loaders afaik only get as hot as 65 degrees or have things changed ?

one more issue is that my wife thinks that a front load washing machine can easily fit and blend into the interiors of my utility room compared to the top load....
Correct, the idea of front load in european homes is it goes under the counter in a kitchen or wherever

now unless top load offers better washes and longer life ...i was looking for a front load....
- Better washes is a function of soil level, detergent dosage and water hardness. If you dose correctly you get clean clothes with either for normal soil

if clothes are stained, quality detergents (more expensive ie surf/ariel) and agitation makes a difference. In a top loader clothes move in water. In a front loader they rise and fall so front loader has an edge for agitation

Top loaders are cheaper and easier to use i guess, if price is tight then that's your pick but i picked up an LG front load for around 32k. it's been great

If you go with front loaders. Pick one with a drum that has a volume of 55 litres. Forget the weight ratings, they are meaning less and subject to upwards creep over the years. But the drum sizes are the same

36, 55 & 63 litres

Avoid the 36, its sole purpose is to fit through the front door. For direct drive the motor is attached at the back so drum volume is less. For just one person i would still suggest 55 litres. You change your clothes every day. Builds up after a few. Bigger machine, fewer washes, less wear & tear ;)

If not direct drive ie belt driven still shoot for close to that drum volume. Take a measuring tape with you to the shop. The only advantage of direct drive is noise. A few dB's less than belt

- Longer life is a function of use, lack of abuse and maintenance. Don't overload. maintenenace for limescale build up in case you live in a hard water area.

Does it sound like an aircraft taking off, maybe the bearings might be shot. Top loader has to carry a full load vertically as opposed to a front loader than rotates horizontally

Why have you got a stand ? the machine is designed to sit on the floor after being properly leveled. its behaviour on some stand is unknown. Lower the centre of gravity the less the vibrations

no heating filament and usually made of plastic or fiber (whereas front load have cool metallic finish and has steel body as well)

Somehow I am inclined towards a front load......
Just aluminium of uncertain grade and Fascia is plastic

Last edited:
just use a spirit level to level the machine.

Important test to do before buying a spirit level is to check it for accuracy. When i went to a shop i asked the guy to give me five. Three were bad, one was ok and the last was right

When the installers came to deliver the machine, of course they didn't have such a tool.

There's a proper procedure as well

You can't level a washer by only adjusting the front legs. In fact, this type of adjustment process is typically why a washer would be out of level and vibrate.

A better method is to determine which opposite diagonal corner pair sits solid and which pair rocks. Place the level along the line of the solid pair of legs.

Adjust the lower side up or the upper side down, depending on which takes you closer to the middle of the adjustment range, until the level indicates level in that diagonal.

Next, place the level along the line of the other diagonal and determine which end is higher. Whether that high corner is too high or too low, in either case, rock the washer onto that leg and adjust it until the top of the washer is level when measured along both diagonals. You're standing the washer on a tripod of the first diagonal and the highest leg of the second diagonal; the last leg is not in play yet.

You can double-check level by checking front to back and side to side but the diagonals are conclusive. Now there will be one leg that is too short. Simply adjust that final leg until it is snug against the floor.

Last edited:
Back