Camera Need Suggestion for Buying Camera Lens for DSLR

Steven Dsouza

Disciple
Hello Guys,

One of my friend wants to buy Camera Lens for his DSLR and he wants me to help him out for that, but I don't have any idea about camera or their accessories. When I was searching I found some camera lenses as follows.
1. Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-4.5 IS USM Lens.
2. Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens.
3. Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM Lens.

I need your help in suggesting the best camera lens with the best deal to my friend. Budget is not the constraint.
Please help guys....Thanks in advance....

My friend is having Canon EOS 700D 18MP DSLR Camera.

So please suggest according to it...

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on what your friend is interested in and how interested he is in photography.
Landscape - One would need a wide angle to super wide angle - 28mm or less
Portrait + street - Lenses from 18mm - 200mm (guess, most widely bought range)
Sports/wildlife - fast telephoto lenses - 200mm+

In each of the above categories there are cheap/VFM/quality lenses available based on budget

You could start with asking him what kind of photographs he likes to take.

Ask him to go for the nifty fifty I.e. 50mm price. It's the cheapest prime lens in canons arsenal of lenses. Although it has a fixed focal length I.e. 50mm, its wide aperture takes beautiful shots and gives that dreamy feel to the shots!

its like asking " recommend me a good footwear " , some will suggest loafers or formals ,some may suggest boots or sandals , but what if he really wanted is a shoe to play football ? none of them will be ideal .Ask him what is his purpose ? what kind of photos he takes or want to take are they landscapes, head shots , street images ,macro ,birds animals etc then he will get a better suggestion. or he may end up playing football in a slipper.

I am presuming that your friend is buying an extra lens just to look like a "serious" photographer.
Because, otherwise, only the photographer HIMSELF can know what focal lengths he wants, if he has done any amount of genuinely serious photography.

If he is asking advice based on sharpness then there are MTF charts for each lens published in the internet.
Otherwise just buy the most expensive L series lens (usually white colored).
Nothing can look more serious than those.

Hey @madhukannan I completely agree with you. But the thing is my friend is new in the world of photography....and the thing is that he thinks that my suggestions and advice are the best for him. Now i dont want to hurt him. So please help me....suggest the best camera lens for all in one purpose....

Moslty he likes to shoot scenaries and in party events and stuff....[DOUBLEPOST=1452673021][/DOUBLEPOST]You spot it right @ssslayer.....:p:p

Sorry there is no lens which can do everything, you can get EFs 18 200 IS lens which comes close but not a great one at image quality . I assume that he is having the kit-lens , which is a capable lens for the price. Get one EFS55 250is (8.5k/) and EF50mm 1.8 (7k), also get a cheep flash (1.5 to 2K ) which will be more than enough for a beginner . Stay away from cheep lens from sigma and tamron .

Last edited:
@Steven Dsouza Out of the three lenses you have selected, first two are more suitable for Full Frame cameras and the last one is a telephoto. Since you only asked about one lens and your friend doesn't seem to have a specialty, I'd suggest to get the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. It is a critically acclaimed lens and covers most of the range people usually use (24-136mm in term of FF equivalency). Additionally, get him a 50mm f1.8 lens for portraits as they are very cheap and sharp.

Hey But the thing is my friend is new in the world of photography......suggest the best camera lens for all in one purpose....

Moslty he likes to shoot scenaries and in party events and stuff....[DOUBLEPOST=1452673021][/DOUBLEPOST]You spot it right @ssslayer[/USER][/USER].....:p:p
Best bet would be to sell the DSLR and get hold of an advanced compact camera with built in long range zoom and fast lens.
Nothing will beat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ssslayer- Will you post the links of the camera of which you are talking about with its reviews, comparison, best deal and other stuff so that I can directly forward it to my friend....:)

It will be very nice of you, if you do so....;):)

Thanks in advance....and thanks for the suggestion as well....[DOUBLEPOST=1452840914][/DOUBLEPOST]@sabby @madhukannan - Thankyou very much for help me.... will take your suggestions in considerations...:):)

Last edited:
@ssslayer- Will you post the links of the camera of which you are talking about with its reviews, comparison, best deal and other stuff so that I can directly forward it to my friend....:)

It will be very nice of you, if you do so....;):)

Thanks in advance....and thanks for the suggestion as well....[DOUBLEPOST=1452840914][/DOUBLEPOST]@sabby @madhukannan - Thankyou very much for help me.... will take your suggestions in considerations...:):)
http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/categories/best-advanced-compact/products

Yeah, let him start smaller and once he gets to grip with the field he would have a better idea if he would really be using a SLR.

Reg the advanced-compacts:
Even the Fuji with its retro styling also can put on a show!

HI,i would suggest to get a 50mm STM 1.8 lens to add with the kit lens.If he is serious about this hobby,then soon he will outgrow both these lenses and upgrade.He needs to make an understanding as to what he is interested in shooting.
Find out if its landcapes,tiny bits(insects,butterflies,flowers etc),birds/animals..

Back