Budget 10-15K Need new phone with multicolour notification led

Discussion in 'Mobile Phone Buying Advice' started by 6pack, Feb 6, 2018.

1. 6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

Old phone is acting wonky. It shuts down when i get a phone call. :S

1. Budget?
    A: INR 1k-15k

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
    A: 5" FHD or 2160p and above

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
    A: Nougat and above

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
    A: 3G, 4G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
    A: No preference. Should have good service network

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
    A: Camera, mails and internet & I want to watch youtube vids with 360 degree VR. Is magnetometer required for VR?

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
    A: Dual sim.

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
    A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
    A: Need good battery backup, microSD card slot if internal storage < 32GB

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
    A:
    Moto G5 or G5S. Seems to tick all boxes for now. Has good camera, good update history.

Lenovo K8 or 9 or 10 something. Don't know how fast Lenovo phones get updates though. Heard that the MTK phones dont get updates.

Was thinking of MI A1 but heard it has only single colour notification light. Redmi Note 4 is old now. Mi Mix is too big.

Honor 7/8/9 have some drawback - like Kirin processor and no updates.
    Nokia 6 - ah, no. overpriced.

My first preference will be to phones that have a proven track record of getting OS updates. So its probably limited to phones with snap dragon chips now. Second preference to notification led.

2. vyral_143

vyral_143 Jarvis
    Section Mod

Android OS updates: Moto X4, Mi A1 (single color LED though)

Just OS upgrades: Ximi phones - Redmi Note 5 is around corner

3. OP
    OP
    6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

Mi 5 seems to be a 6" phone. 6 inch phone is too big. Moto X4 is out of budget at 21+k.

Moto G5/G5 plus are out of question now. Seems phone & camera has too many issues. Was just reading the lenovo forums there. lenovo is selling same old phones in new wrapper now.

4. vyral_143

vyral_143 Jarvis
    Section Mod

But it will be 18:9 which is similar to 5.5" 16:9 screen.

5. OP
    OP
    6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

6. vyral_143

vyral_143 Jarvis
    Section Mod

7. OP
    OP
    6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

i have zero luck with these flash sales. never got a chance to buy even one phone. lol.
    is the MI 5 plus phone good? gearbest has the 4GB/ 32GB storage global rom version on sale for 179.99 USD. With customs it will probably come out to 13.5k.

8. vyral_143

vyral_143 Jarvis
    Section Mod

Link please

9. OP
    OP
    6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus 4G Phablet 3GB RAM Global Version - BLACK 249336701 32GB ROM FHD+ Screen 12.0MP Camera $179.99

If I rememb correctly, I think gearbest sells 32GB phone for same price as 64GB version phone which MI sells in India. Last time I was going to buy Redmi Note 4X from there and stopped because of the pricing difference.

10. vyral_143

vyral_143 Jarvis
    Section Mod

It's not worth at that price. Without customs it comes to roughly 12k.

11. adventureguy

adventureguy Well-Known Member
    Adept

redmi 5 plus is going to be launched as note 5 in india acc to rumors
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    ull get fcked by the customs. dont import mobiles

12. Black_Hawk

Black_Hawk Well-Known Member
    Veteran

What is the duty % for mobile phone import in India?

13. adventureguy

Adept

14. OP
    OP
    6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

Yeah, customs is too high. I hope the MI 5 Plus or Note is available offline in stores. I searched MI site and seems they have MI stores in big shops like Reliance Digital, Vijay Sales etc. Maybe I could try my bad luck there.

15. adventureguy

Adept

in the offline stores, the mobiles are priced a bit higher than online. usually 500 to 1k rs
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    gyroscope & accelerometer

16. OP
    OP
    6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

500 rupees is okay. at least i'll have option of buying the phone and taking it home the same day if the shop has it in stock. if i went online, i'd have to wait 3 minutes before the clock starts ticking and the buy button is already dead in a nanosecond. no matter what site - amazon, flipkart, mi website. everywhere its the same. online buying experience is too frustrating and only leads to despair.

17. thedeadghost

thedeadghost Active Member
    Disciple

My Samsung S5 duos has very appealing led notification. Ofcourse you can use app to customise the led as per your requirement. Would suggest take a look at it.
    I love the over all performance too.

18. robertok33

robertok33 New Member
    Recruit

Galaxy S5 has been very old now :)

19. OP
    OP
    6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

Seems like the Note 5 Pro only has white notification light.

btw, looks like in chrome, sale starts at 11:59 instead of 12 and even at that time it is OOS.
    fkoutofstock.jpg

#19 6pack, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  20. OP
    OP
    6pack

6pack Well-Known Member
    ex-Mod

I'm done with these impossible flash sales now. No matter how much I try I don't get to buy the stupid Note 5 Pro phone. I managed to get the 6GB version into the cart and next step it hanged and after sometime said its out of stock. Hell with this nonsense.

My old phone is dying and is on its last legs. Just a reboot makes it say that no sim cards installed and wifi dies every time the phone goes to sleep. Cannot wait any longer to buy a new phone now. I've waited 3 months already. :|

From now on I've decided to stay away from buying phones that go on flash sales no matter how good they are on paper.

Back to topic, I want a full hd or better 18:3 phone mainly to watch youtube live streams and browsing the net. Don't want a LG Q3 or was it Q6 because they make really poor quality phones. And no updates too.Don't want Xiaomi or Huawei or Honor because these companies do flash sales. I don't want Oppo or whatever the parent company of One Plus does.

Budget till 15k. Please suggest something I can buy this week.