Storage Solutions Need help with diy nas

^ZFS is dead...(i mean seriously) btrfs ftw. and whats ECC gots to do with ZFS? We are trying to build a cheap NAS solution and not a storage array. arnt we?

I would say just put a LSI megaraid card and you should be good. It supports upto 8 hdds(i think) and has onboard raid for 0,1,5,6 etc...

some high end cards also have onboard write cache with supercap backup. but then I am assuming that you dont really need that kind of write perf. since its hw raid, everything is offloaded from the cpu and gives really good read perf.

BTRFS - Have not heard good things about it, but then, my knowledge comes from ZFS chaps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/btrfs/comments/7jkco8/before_you_try_btrfs_make_sure_you_use_an_up_to/

LSI megaraid - good yeah, but I would stay away, instead flash it to IT mode and use software raid.

Last edited:
From someone really new to all these, What is RAID ? How does it help ?

RAID is a system by which you can achieve higher performance or high availability aka redundancy. Its not a backup though - just putting before people think otherwise.

Assume you have 2 HDDs and your put them in mirror mode, if one HDD fails, the other will still have your data.

Assume you have 3 or more HDDs and you put in RAID5, by using some magic ie mathematical stuff, you can have one drive failure and your data is still safe. You get 1 HDD less space in RAID5

RAID6 bumps that to 2 HDD failures.

Guys please help me up fill the items in the below section for my NAS build..

Parts i already decided to buy or alraedy have :-.

1) Case - Thermaltake core v21 (new) - Rs.6000/- (MD computers)
2) Ram - Trident 16gb x1 3200mhz DDR4 (already got)
3) SSD (as boot drive) - Samsung 250gb evo
4) PSU - 450w Coolermaste elite (6months old from my old HTPC) or 650w Antec v650 (already got but too much for NAS according to me)- any advice?

PARTS THAT I NEED :-

1) A good proccy not high end but strong,new platform, budget friendly one for longevity issues. I am planing a G4560 (in my list for 5400/- with shipping to me from md).. //Budget max for other cpu is 9k..//

2) HDDs (NAS specefied) - Like WD 4TB reds or Seagate SkyHawk 4TB
Need two ie. 4tb x 2 drives of same model.. Budget 10k *2 = 20 k max for new.

3) Motherboard - Any supporting ones for the cpu which is a very important decision to make. It should fit the cabby, should have atlleast 6 sata-6 ports, with RGB headers preferred.. // Max budget is 9k.//

4) A good cooler AIO only or ill stick to stock. max dual 120mm rads.. single 120mm will also do.. Max 6k budget.

Hence can spend 50k tops and need to finish the build by end of FEB.
It should be something that will last me say 3-4 years without any issues.

And ya i need to make the looks of the NAS setup like a DHINKCHAK POOJA sccoter.. with all the RGBs.. This that :p... So yeah any jewelries for the case and cool air suggestions also welcomed..

thanks all..

LSI megaraid - good yeah, but I would stay away, instead flash it to IT mode and use software raid.
I am never a fan of software raid. Adding another layer into the IO stack and use up CPU cycles is a no no. Since most of the people setup nas to store movies and run things like plex which does on the fly decoding and stuff.

About the bad things on btrfs, ZFS guys are always biased against it. at the same time since it is also developed and maintained by oracle; redhat is trying to kill it by removing it from their distributions. I feel it is more political than technical.

I am never a fan of software raid. Adding another layer into the IO stack and use up CPU cycles is a no no. Since most of the people setup nas to store movies and run things like plex which does on the fly decoding and stuff.

About the bad things on btrfs, ZFS guys are always biased against it. at the same time since it is also developed and maintained by oracle; redhat is trying to kill it by removing it from their distributions. I feel it is more political than technical.

True from a business perspective, I run my office server running VMs on a dedicated hardware controller. However, when it comes to storage, software RAID - be it ZFS or StorageSpace, etc is the way to go. Eventually, when I get my data centre licenses....

Coming to Plex, and specifically the encoding, that is not going to be a big issue for me, since I am getting myself a Xeon for the same, plus having a Plex Pass, I can use the onboard QuickSync to do the encoding, freeing up those CPU cycles....

BTRFS - I still do not think it is ready for production use.

RHEL vs Oracle - I dont think its political, but then, when Oracle is present....

software RAID - be it ZFS or StorageSpace, etc is the way to go.
I dont see merits in software raid. also, dont mix enterprise and desktop hardware. they are completely different ideologies. also, Xeon for desktop environment is waste of money. it doesnt give you anything except bragging rights.

I dont see merits in software raid. also, dont mix enterprise and desktop hardware. they are completely different ideologies. also, Xeon for desktop environment is waste of money. it doesnt give you anything except bragging rights.

Your call.

Mixing hardware - could you explain?

For my home environment, I am going to test & run several VMs, so I do need a Xeon...[DOUBLEPOST=1517147095][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks. All 3 HDDs act as a single drive ?

Yes. But RAID6 needs minimum of 4 disks.

Mixing hardware - could you explain?
Enterprise hardware for example xeon are designed to run 24/7 on a temperature controlled environments and include stuff remote management etc... features that are needed by enterprises. thats why they are very expensive. you could achieve same type of performance with hardware designed for desktops too at a lot cheaper price.

Enterprise hardware for example xeon are designed to run 24/7 on a temperature controlled environments and include stuff remote management etc... features that are needed by enterprises. thats why they are very expensive. you could achieve same type of performance with hardware designed for desktops too at a lot cheaper price.

Ah ok.

Just for the record - I never suggested to run Xeon, a Pentium could do for starters - which was my point. Someone made a point of ECC, FreeNAS and the Xeon. The only enterprise thing I suggested was the use of a LSI card in IT mode, having used that and a cheap RAID5 card, the LSI is far more reliable. The cheaper 4 port SATA raid card has stopped working thrice in the last year, necessitating a remove and reinsert. This, on an Atom x86 only, running Windows Server 2003, not supporting 2008R2. Also it runs software RAID5, which is pretty slow. Would be moving up to a different box soon, when I get my UPS and a 3 days of free time..

PARTS THAT I NEED :-

1) A good proccy not high end but strong,new platform, budget friendly one for longevity issues. I am planing a G4560 (in my list for 5400/- with shipping to me from md).. //Budget max for other cpu is 9k..//

2) HDDs (NAS specefied) - Like WD 4TB reds or Seagate SkyHawk 4TB
Need two ie. 4tb x 2 drives of same model.. Budget 10k *2 = 20 k max for new.

3) Motherboard - Any supporting ones for the cpu which is a very important decision to make. It should fit the cabby, should have atlleast 6 sata-6 ports, with RGB headers preferred.. // Max budget is 9k.//

4) A good cooler AIO only or ill stick to stock. max dual 120mm rads.. single 120mm will also do.. Max 6k budget.

Hence can spend 50k tops and need to finish the build by end of FEB.
It should be something that will last me say 3-4 years without any issues.

And ya i need to make the looks of the NAS setup like a DHINKCHAK POOJA sccoter.. with all the RGBs.. This that :p... So yeah any jewelries for the case and cool air suggestions also welcomed..

thanks all..
PM me if you need G4560 (brought on 14-12-2017)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back