Budget 51-70k Need help in upgrading a gaming/workstation/vm rig

cybro

Disciple
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 50K(60 K max)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Q6600
    • Motherboard - Asus P5K
    • GPU - ATI 7870
    • RAM - Corsair 4X1GB PC6400
    • Monitor - Dell Ultrasharp 23"
    • PSU - Corsair CM450
    • SSD - Intel 240 GB
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell Ultrasharp 23"
    • GPU - ATI 7870
    • SSD - Intel 240 GB
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i7 4790k
    • Motherboard - ?
    • GPU - suggestions for crossfire with 7870
    • PSU -
    • RAM - 16/32 GB
    • Cabinet -
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore/Chennai/Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes/No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Video Processing
    • VM farm
    • 24x7 operation
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Only Intel processor
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • RPG - Witcher 3, Mass effect 4, Dragon Age Inquisition
    • Mad max
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1080p
    2. Desktop - 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

• CPU - Intel Xeon E3 1246 v3 -21400,
  • Motherboard - MSI B85M-G43 -6000,
  • GPU - Asus Strix GTX 960 2GB -16500,
  • PSU -Seasonic S12II 520w -5000,
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (4GBx2) -5600,
  • Cabinet -Corsair SPEC-03 -4500.
  • TOTAL -59,000.
Sell your existing 7870 and buy the above GPU which is far more superior than your 7870.

Last edited by a moderator:
For that he has to get another build. VMware professionals need dedicated builds with server class components for home learning. If he is using Virtual machines for other purposes then dedicated server makes no sense :)
I have no idea what VMware professionals do ;)

I need this rig to be able to run simulations/big data processing/ML algo that could take days to complete inside the VMs.
Video Processing/Gaming when above is not happening.

960 is not a worthwhile upgrade from a 7870.
consider a 970 or 290x
Duly noted. I will upgrade the gfx card only if I manage to sell 7870 for a decent price.

I have no idea what VMware professionals do ;)

I need this rig to be able to run simulations/big data processing/ML algo that could take days to complete inside the VMs.
Video Processing/Gaming when above is not happening.

Trust me get a dedicated server build with dual physical processors and lots of ram, you would not repent it. Are you by any chance running ML algos for trading?

Why not run the simulations/big data processing/ML algo on the base machine, your vm will always be having less cores/memory than the base machine, running them in the base machine might speed up things

Why not run the simulations/big data processing/ML algo on the base machine, your vm will always be having less cores/memory than the base machine, running them in the base machine might speed up things

It depends on how many VMs he wants to run. I assume he probably wants to run at least 2-3 of them. That's the reason he wants an i7 (buy only 4790k for Vt-d support 4770k doesn't support vt-d, that if you plan on ESXi) so he can get 8 threads as well as cover his gaming needs. I used to run 7 VMs on my gigabyte brix pro (4770r proc) and 16gb ram, but saw someone selling a dell server for 15k and bought it.

Since you have told you need to run basic VM without the intricacies involved, I believe you would be installing windows 8.1 and run VMware on it? I am not aware of what ML stuff you run, and if you think you are running complicated enterprise level calculations and to be done without errors you should go for a board which supports ECC Ram. That's the reason I suggested you to go with a dedicated machine as it gets a little complex with your requirements of gaming and running complex calculations.

By the way if you are intrstd, I am currently trying to build a home server farm with 2 shuttle boxes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWOTSZA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I am also in a fix regarding choosing the processor i5 or i7, so have put the build on hold. Just testing one of the boxes I received yesterday with an i3 processor. Planning this build to run pfsense and other stuff, so not sure if I should go for an overkill. So decide your requirements carefully and build separate machines whilst retaining the current setup.

Back