Need Help in Jailbreaking IPOD TOuch 4G!!!!

Hi,

I need some serious help regarding jailbreaking of IPOD touch 4G. I have some queries regarding this:

1) Yesterday, I was googling to find jailbreaking software and I came to knoe about greenpoison. I tried using it to jailbreak but I dint
succeed. Now, is there any other recommended software to jailbreak the IPOD? Or should I use greenpoison only? Any guide to use the
greenpoison? I watched a couple of videos in youtube but they are not using greenpoison.

2) Does jailbreaking void warranty?

3) If anything goes wrong, can the previous state be restored?

4) Do I need to take a full back up of my current IPOD touch? If yes, then please recommend some software to take the back up.
Thanks in advance.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Due to session time out, my new thread got posted twice, hence, I request mods to delete the other thread.

:)

Guyz no suggestions? Please help me out, I really need it and I am noob regarding apple products.

1. +1 to what RS4 suggested. The tutorials from iClarified are pretty much n00b-friendly. Here are 2 guides:

iClarified - iPod touch - How to Jailbreak Your iPod Touch 4G Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.3.3]

iClarified - iPod touch - How to Jailbreak Your iPod Touch 3G, 4G Using Greenpois0n (Windows)

2. Theoretically yes it does. But there's no way Apple can find out if your iPod was JB'en since you could restore it back to the factory state leaving no signs of the JB.

3. In 99% of the cases, yes. There are chances of ending up with a brick as well, if you screw around.

4. Not aware of this. When I JB'ed my iPod Touch 2G (I do not have the iPod now) and iPhone 3G I did not bother with the backup.

Refer the above tutorials and post back.

Well thanks to both of your for your valuable suggestions. I referred to iclarified.com and successfully jailbroke my IPOD touch 4G with redsnow yesterday night. Cydia got installed.

But still, I need help regarding installation of new apps. I have downloaded 20+ Ipod Touch games in my pc but dont know how to install them. Can anyone provide me with a guideline?

Also, I came to know by googling that after installation of Cydia, I need to install appsync as well as some other software (forgot the name, installaous or something like that) to install games and apps in the IPOD. But I dont have any WIFI connection and these additional softwares are meant to be installed using Cydia only. Any other recommendation if I can download apps + games separately in my pc and somehow can install them in my IPOD touch via the usb connection?

No other way without wifi, even to access the ipod files using the usb cable, you have to install afc2add from cydia. Get a wifi router or host wifi from your laptop/computer to proceed, else goto a mall or some place with wifi.

To install appsync you have to add the source 'http://cydia.hackulo.us' in cydia under the manage tab.

I mean these Apps dont cost much. They range from 1$ to 4 $ max. So why jailbreak?

I personally have bought 4-5 apps from the apps store. They are worth the money.

i have a problem in jailbreaking my friend's ipod touch 3g on ios 4.3.3

the problem arises when i have to browse to the ipsw file :huh:

my friend has already upgraded to 4.3.3 and he doesnt have any file saved on pc - he directly upgraded through itunes

what to do now as the ipsw file is of 409 mb and i dont want to download all that again :S

You dont need to jailbreak but the iPod will be a lot more fun to use if you do :bleh:. And yes, jailbreaking is for iPhones, iPods as well as iPads.

Jailbreaking is not just for the other side of the app world(and it is wrong if you JB for this), it takes your iPod to a whole new level with lots and lots of customization features. If you JB and browse through Cydia, you will understand this. Features like SBSettings (A handy menu which can be quickly brought up, used to change brightness, bluetooth, airplane modes, etc...), winterboard (totally customize you iPod), Dreamboard (similar to WB, but newer and better) etc... are just few of the many features you get by jailbreaking. Everybody hesitates to JB at first, but then once you do, there is no turning back :) .

Jailbreaking your iphone/ipod will be the best thing ever that you will do for your device :) It takes the whole thing to ET level. :p I have jailbroken it and am in love with it since then... and yea, there is no turning back!

I have 4.3.2 version installed on my ipod touch 4g , should i update to 4.3.3 then jailbreak or jailbreak it on 4.3.2 itself (any advantages with 4.3.3 ?) , and what exactly is a tethered and untethered jailbreak.

get the latest 4.3.5, I hope JB is available. If not then lower versions. For differences, you can see here -

Bug fix release

Fixed issue with blank or frozen video during (or before) a FaceTime call

Fixed issue with connectivity to 3G networks on iPad 3G + WiFi

Bug fix release

This update contains changes to the iOS crowd-sourced location database cache

Reduced size of the iOS crowd-sourced location database cache

No longer backs that cache up to iTunes

Deletes that cache entirely when Location Services turned off

No longer allows user to remove apps that have not been completely downloaded

Security Update

Re-introduced the ability to cancel and delete apps that are currently downloading

Jailbreaking Patches

Disabled the possibility of viewing a maliciously crafted PDF file that may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Disabled a malicious code running as the user may gain system privileges

Disabled "incomplete signing attacks", blocking "Untethered" Jailbreak for a long time

Security Update

Current release for iPhone 3GS, GSM iPhone 4, iPod touch 3rd and 4th generations, iPad and iPad 2.

Fixes a security vulnerability with certificate validation.

and as for Tethered & un-tethered JB, tethered jailbreak requires that the device be connected to a computer each time it needs to be booted. That means if you reboot, then you have to connect the iDevice to the PC/Mac & run the JB tool again. So go for untethered JB for peace of mind.

Always do your homework before trying. Search properly whether others having same device were successful to JB it with same iOS version & same JB tool.

EDIT : JB for 4.3.5 / 4.3.4 is not available yet. So better go with 4.3.3. So either go with jailbreakme [phucking easiest] or RedSn0w.

here are tutorials, if you plan to use jailbreakme - iClarified - iPod touch - How to Jailbreak Your iPod Touch 4G, 3G Using JailbreakMe [4.3.3]

or RedSn0w - iClarified - iPod touch - How to Jailbreak Your iPod Touch 4G Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.3.3]

Hope this helps you :)

Thanks mate , that was really detailed :),

Yea i had done some reading and found that redsnow has a good success ration so will try that itself :).

I am getting an error while trying to restore to 4.3.3 ," the ipod cannot be restored , an unkwown error occured (3194)"

please tell me what to do :(.

From where did you download the ipsw ? always download from known trustful torrent or directly from apple's links. After downloading you have to check md5 hashes.

3194 error is when Apple not signing the firmware to upgrade/downgrade afaik.

Now fixing your problem, first try this.

-Make sure you are logged in with admin account. find the host file, C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Open it with admin privileges.

-add 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the bottom of your file.

-reboot the comp

Try the restore procedure. Still no luck ? then follow this :

-connect your device & put into DFU mode [by turning your device off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes tells you that the device is now in recover mode. See in youtube to get an idea]

- Press 'shift' button & click on Restore in iTunes and select the firmware & wait for iTunes to restore your device. If you get error like 1015, 1004 you can ignore. If you are getting error 1601, 1602, 1604 try different USB port or different computer.

-Remember restore may not happen at first time only. It is normal with iDevices & you might want to give few more tries.

Now you can use RedSn0w to JB :)

-After successful restore, if your device is struck in recovery mode by saying "Connect to iTunes", to exit recovery mode use Tiny Umbrella. Get it from here - The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella Launch it & click "Kick Device Out of Recovery" button. Your device now will start normally.

Back