Need Help for Bridge Setup Using Netgear R7000

Prosenjit

Reseller
Currently I am using Dlink DIR-600L. I have local cable net. This cable net have no protection on surge, so I have faced several time of LAN chip burning or LAN chip protection diode burning.

Yesterday I have buy a Netgear R7000 router. I have the following plan.

1. Dlink router will connected with local cable net as a router mode. It will broadcast at 2.4 GHz with predefined channel 11 and WEP basic protection.
2. The new Netgear router will receive internet from Dlink router and start broadcast a new wifi zone.
3. My desktop will connect directly to the netgear router.
4. My printer and External HDD also connect through the USB port of the new Netgear router.
5. My all home wifi devices will connect through this new netgear router.

I was thinking to setup the second router as a wireless bridge mode. If there was any other better option, please suggest. Also help me how to setup the wifi bridge mode.

**R7000: Firmware version: V1.0.3.56_1.1.25

I had the same situation as you when I had to use a 3G capable router for Tata Photon+ which was then connected to my Netgear WNDR4300 which handled the network.
Don't go with wifi repeater since you won't be able to use the 5 GHZ band then.
You set up the D-Link router with the IP settings as per the cable ISP.

Then you take a short LAN cable.Connect this LAN cable to the LAN port of the D-Link and the other end to the Netgear WAN port(Mind it WAN port)

In the Netgear router Internet settings you select the option of Automatically detecting settings.
upload_2015-10-21_19-39-59.png

Please keep in mind that the subnets need to be different for the two routers.
In my case the D-Link is 192.168.1.1 and the Netgear is 192.168.20.1
Turn off DHCP in the D-Link so that the Netgear is in change of assigning IPs to connected devices.

upload_2015-10-21_19-41-18.png

I had the same situation as you when I had to use a 3G capable router for Tata Photon+ which was then connected to my Netgear WNDR4300 which handled the network.
Don't go with wifi repeater since you won't be able to use the 5 GHZ band then.
You set up the D-Link router with the IP settings as per the cable ISP.

Then you take a short LAN cable.Connect this LAN cable to the LAN port of the D-Link and the other end to the Netgear WAN port(Mind it WAN port)

In the Netgear router Internet settings you select the option of Automatically detecting settings.
View attachment 60635

Please keep in mind that the subnets need to be different for the two routers.
In my case the D-Link is 192.168.1.1 and the Netgear is 192.168.20.1
Turn off DHCP in the D-Link so that the Netgear is in change of assigning IPs to connected devices.

View attachment 60636

But I want to connect the both router in wireless. So that the external surge don't comes to my Netgear router..

But I want to connect the both router in wireless. So that the external surge don't comes to my Netgear router..
Ok then you will be better off with something like this
http://www.amazon.in/Belkin-F9G826vzb3M-Ultimate-8-Socket-Protector/dp/B0083T23I2#productDetails[DOUBLEPOST=1445440142][/DOUBLEPOST]Using the surge protector will enable you to use 5GHz wifi and believe me it is far better in throughput than 2.4
However since your plan is to get rid of any wired connection between the routers then follow this
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/d...e-my-nighthawk-router-as-a-wireless-repeater?

Last edited:
What's the main difference between wireless repeater and wireless bridge??

I want to connect my printer and external HDD to new netgear router. I also want to use media sharing through this HDD to my Apple TV using 5GHz band..

What's the main difference between wireless repeater and wireless bridge??

I want to connect my printer and external HDD to new netgear router. I also want to use media sharing through this HDD to my Apple TV using 5GHz band..
Well a repeater only rebroadcasts the wifi signal.DHCP is handled by the main base
In case of a bridge the second router also handles the DHCP i.e. it acts as a secondary gateway.
If you want to use the 5GHz band on the Nighthawk then you can't use your old plan of connecting the two routers wirelessly i.e. Repeater mode because only the 2.4 GHz band will be used and 5 Ghz won't have internet.

I would have suggested the bridge mode but seclusion might be problematic in case of an ethernet surge.

Back