PC Peripherals Need help choosing a printer, for printing pages of study material(B&W) only.

Elusive

Recruit
Hi guys,

I need advice on buying a printer. To be used to print pages of ebooks. Will need to print a lot of pages for an exam I am preparing. Only black and white prints needed.

No Scanner, copier etc needed. Obviously my main concern is cost per page, so suggest something through which I dont have to spend 500-1k on ink cartridges every 200-300 pages please. Something whose ink cartridges can be refilled possibly?

I can't go laser route because of the prices :x. I am just trying to avoid paying local printing shops.

Budget is 2-2.5k max, obviously lower is better.

Thanks.

You wont get anything in that small budget. inkjet inks for printing just 100 pages for HP will cost around 450 rupees at minimum. refilling does not work every time. you will end up spending more than 5k if you buy a new inkjet printer and want to print in excess of 1000 pages.

I would've suggested Epson t13(1600)+ refillable cartridges(500)+4X100ml ink bottles(800) but the Epson buggers seem to discontinue all the good printers with refillable cartridges like t13, tx121 etc... HP and canon printers don't come with refillable cartridges. and it seems prices for printers gone up too.

if you can find an Epson t13 locally, I would suggest you grab it.

You wont get anything in that small budget. inkjet inks for printing just 100 pages for HP will cost around 450 rupees at minimum. refilling does not work every time. you will end up spending more than 5k if you buy a new inkjet printer and want to print in excess of 1000 pages.
And not to say that print quality wont be great with all refilled cartridges.
so take cheapest laser printer.
thats your safe and long term option.

I would've suggested Epson t13(1600)+ refillable cartridges(500)+4X100ml ink bottles(800) but the Epson buggers seem to discontinue all the good printers with refillable cartridges like t13, tx121 etc... HP and canon printers don't come with refillable cartridges. and it seems prices for printers gone up too.

if you can find an Epson t13 locally, I would suggest you grab it.

+1

Do not for for HP as refilling simply will not work at all [in the last 2 generations of HP inkjet printers - they seem to have encoded the total no of pages that a cartridge can print & then the print-head kinda self-destructs]. I feel sad to hear that Epson too may be following that route.

What are thousands of students & parents going to do ? All those greedy bastid multinationals ?

I wish some IITian (or anyone else in India) develops a low-cost printer where the ink can be re-filled easily - thus killing off all HP & their kin forever. Why can't the government sponsor such an initiative. This could lead to a revolution in education & every other field.

And not to say that print quality wont be great with all refilled cartridges.
That's wrong. you can get exceptional quality prints if you use good inks. and there are many vendors who sell good inks. that's how small scale printing industry works(I mean printing shops who print large flexi banners etc...)

Friend bought a printer called brothers for 6k ..We put ink for 300 bucks and it is yet to get over We have printed 15 projects each one averaging 75 pages.. pretty cheap

Okay here is my suggestion:
Buy Epson Me-10 single function printer from fk at Rs. 2788/-
buy refillable cartridges from AliExpress at $24
and pigment ink at Rs999 if you want to print photos which don't fade.
or dye based ink at 575/-

If you can wait for some days the refillable cartridges would be flooded in indian markets too. then you could probably get it cheaper than aliexpress.

Okay here is my suggestion:
Buy Epson Me-10 single function printer from fk at Rs. 2788/-
buy refillable cartridges from AliExpress at $24
and pigment ink at Rs999 if you want to print photos which don't fade.
or dye based ink at 575/-

If you can wait for some days the refillable cartridges would be flooded in indian markets too. then you could probably get it cheaper than aliexpress.

Aren't those refillable cartridges available in India? Also total cost will be like 5k, I think I can get a B&W laser for that much, wont that be better?

And jesus! printer market is ****ed.

^I couldn't find those refillable cartridges in indian market. but if they are available on aliexpress, they will surely come to india soon. on the other hand, for laser printer I don't think the total cost of ownership would be as low as this. from the above setup you could easily print upto 5000 color A4 pages assuming that 10ml ink(standard ink cartridge volume) prints 500pages.

and yeah, printer market is ****ed. there is no printer below 1500 these days. even the hp deskjet d1000 used to be below 1600 now its 2.2k+.

^I couldn't find those refillable cartridges in indian market. but if they are available on aliexpress, they will surely come to india soon. on the other hand, for laser printer I don't think the total cost of ownership would be as low as this. from the above setup you could easily print upto 5000 color A4 pages assuming that 10ml ink(standard ink cartridge volume) prints 500pages.

and yeah, printer market is ****ed. there is no printer below 1500 these days. even the hp deskjet d1000 used to be below 1600 now its 2.2k+.
Thanks for your advice. I only need B&W prints though, so I can maybe just get the black ink refills if I go for it.

Back