Android Need advice before giving phone to repair

I have a Google Nexus 5 phone. It's been working great since many years. But, since 2 days the power button has been giving problem. Today, the button has gone inside and it is proving quite difficult for me to press it.. it gets double pressed on its own.. have to do it with my nail, since it has gone inside. I think I should get it repaired before it turns into a boot loop problem because of the button.

So, before I give to a shop for repair, what do I do in terms of protecting the privacy on my phone, like sms, mail, etc, because I do not have any pin on my phone, as the phone remains with me at all time. Do I install some password app and put password on all sensitive apps? Or, should I just put a main screen pin, since technically they will be dealing with the hardware, and dont need access to apps or settings.

Or, should I go the shop and ask for an immediate replacement while I am there, so I dont have to leave the phone?

Never had to give a phone for repair, so asking this.

I have a Google Nexus 5 phone. It's been working great since many years. But, since 2 days the power button has been giving problem. Today, the button has gone inside and it is proving quite difficult for me to press it.. it gets double pressed on its own.. have to do it with my nail, since it has gone inside. I think I should get it repaired before it turns into a boot loop problem because of the button.

So, before I give to a shop for repair, what do I do in terms of protecting the privacy on my phone, like sms, mail, etc, because I do not have any pin on my phone, as the phone remains with me at all time. Do I install some password app and put password on all sensitive apps? Or, should I just put a main screen pin, since technically they will be dealing with the hardware, and dont need access to apps or settings.

Or, should I go the shop and ask for an immediate replacement while I am there, so I dont have to leave the phone?

Never had to give a phone for repair, so asking this.

Seems like a minor issue. Tell him to do it in front of you. Shouldn't take more than 10 mins.

Make sure they aren't accusing you of physical damages and warranty void shit.

I didnt read its yrs old phone!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys :).

I went to the LG service center today. I had just gone to ask how much it will cost, and if they will repair it right away. The receptionist there took my phone and took it inside to ask from the technicians if they could change the button. I was a bit worried that time too, that she took the phone away with her. She came back after a few minutes and said that it can be repaired, and that it would take about an hour or so, and asked me to leave the phone. I said that I won't leave the phone, and I also cited privacy concerns.

My thought was to come back another day, after setting password on all my important apps. But, I had to ask for charger and battery cost too, so she said to wait. In the meanwhile, their repair guy came out, and she asked him to take a look at my phone. I explained him, and he said he will inspect it, and tell me right now. His repair room was right there in front, which was good. He said it will take 15 mins only, if the outer button only needed change. So, he asked me to take out the SIM and took the phone in. I took a look in between, and asked about phone, and he was cleaning the dust inside then. After 15 minutes, he came out and said that the outer button only needed change, and he had changed it. It just cost me 110 Rs :D. I am glad he was able to do it quickly.

He went away after that, and the receptionist, who also took care of bills, said that inspection of mobile and all costs around 350, and how come the technician only charged 110. Well, what could I say, it was their matter :p. I paid the 110 and was quite happy with it.

While I was there, I had to ask for charger cable too, since my original cable has the outer wire damaged exposing the inner wires towards the end. The cable was also available for just 120 Rs, which was really cheap so I bought it too. Its white though and my charger is black, but its fine... its working. Its just that the battery percent is not showing on the side of battery level, like it used to do so earlier. However, the percent is shown on lock screen and notification screen. Dont know why its not showing only there.

Thanks for your responses.

The phone is quite old, so there was no question of warranty and all. The phone is still working well.

Back