Need a wi-fi router for 3500 sq.ft area

jinvidia

Adept
Geeks

I need a good Wi-Fi router to provide coverage for two floors for an area of around 3500 sq.ft.

It will be placed in the middle of the area occupied by the 2nd floor.

For the 1st floor, its enough if it is able to provide INTERNET access. Will not do file transfers from the 1st floor

The Wi-Fi performance should be good enough for file transfers between wired, wireless PCs, desktops and NAS as well.

It should have gigabit Ethernet and NAS and finally it should be stable without frequent freezes.

My budget is 5k - 6k.

I have shortlisted the ASUS RT-N18u as it has several positive reviews but still i am skeptical about its performance

I am open to brands like Asus, Netgear except TPlink and Dlink.

Thanks

Try to get hold of r7000
The above is a netgear, right? .I heard that netgear routers have something called readyshare and the readyshare client should be installed either in Android or windows to access the files in the NAS.

Is it possible to access the files in the NAS through without the readyshare client with just solid explorer or es file explorer in android for netgear routers?

Get 2 Asus RTN 12u D1
Keep it in 2 corners of the property and use one As access point, if you can connect both via LAN it'd be even better.

No router, neither R7000 or AC 68u, 56u, Archer C2 (which I've used) have been able to cover the whole area of 2800sft apartment in my experience. Use two routers if you want seamless connectivity.

Nope you don't need readynas to access nas from es file explorer or PC. I am using r7000 without any issues.
@drkrack r7000 is powerful enough. My home is 3000 sq ft in gr plus 1 St floor.

Get 2 Asus RTN 12u D1
Keep it in 2 corners of the property and use one As access point, if you can connect both via LAN it'd be even better.

No router, neither R7000 or AC 68u, 56u, Archer C2 (which I've used) have been able to cover the whole area of 2800sft apartment in my experience. Use two routers if you want seamless connectivity.
Plz correct me if I m wrong for the second router the speed would be reduced by half

Nope you don't need readynas to access nas from es file explorer or PC. I am using r7000 without any issues.
@drkrack r7000 is powerful enough. My home is 3000 sq ft in gr plus 1 St floor.

Its ok for the floor above but doesn't cover whole house for me, depends on wall thickness etc, DDWRT etc didn't change anything.
adding RTn12uD1 solved the issue once for all. Asus HP series routers are equally good.
Plz correct me if I m wrong for the second router the speed would be reduced by half
yes, but it won't be noticeable much

I installed a Tenda AC1200 router (http://www.amazon.in/Wireless-Gigab...8&qid=1455513013&sr=8-1&keywords=tenda+ac1200) yesterday.

Cons:
10/100 LAN - No Gigabit
Only 3 LAN Ports
No USB for file sharing
No DD-WRT support

Pros:
Covers my 4800 sqft 3 floor house comfortably. 5 GHz is good but range is short as expected. Signal

My router is placed in the middle floor. The wifi signal strength varies from -40 dB to -72 dB. Basically I have coverage from the Ground Floor to the terrace of my 2nd floor (i.e, when I stand on top my roof of my G+2 building). I get decent wifi signal even at a distance of 200 meters away from home. (It only has to cross two concrete walls though).

Do I recommend it. Not yet. I just got is yesterday. Only time will tell how good it is.

Back