n150 basic router not supporting for act 100 mbps internet

i am using act internet formerly beam internet,my router belkin basic n150 is showing only upto 50 mbps on speed test,but on cable directly linked to imac, i am getting speeds up to 97mbps download and upload 93 mbps.
But router specification shows it supports upto 150 mbps,running on 802.11 n wireless mode with 20/40 MHz frequency,did i miss something or time to buy a new router???

Thanks in advance -adevilsdoctor

150mbps is the theoretical maximum speed. That is achievable only if you are living in a lab. Otherwise you will get much lower speed. And speed will decrease as your distance from the router increases.

Are you connecting wirelessly to the belkin? Because 50Mbps over wireless is fantastic.
If your devices are connecting via wired ethernet ports to the Belkin, then the performance does seem a bit slow (theoretical peak over ethernet ports is 100Mbps, and you should be able to touch ~90) and could be a router limitation.

150mbps is the theoretical maximum speed. That is achievable only if you are living in a lab. Otherwise you will get much lower speed. And speed will decrease as your distance from the router increases.
Ok,my router is just in between a smart tv ,imac and ps3 ,if 150mbps is theoretical maximum,then why not 100 mbps be practical possibility.
Are you connecting wirelessly to the belkin? Because 50Mbps over wireless is fantastic.
If your devices are connecting via wired ethernet ports to the Belkin, then the performance does seem a bit slow (theoretical peak over ethernet ports is 100Mbps, and you should be able to touch ~90) and could be a router limitation.
All my devices are wirelessly connected,i dont think its a router limitation as i see 150mbps is specified on router box,but atleast 100 mbps must be possible,speed test on wirelessly is cutting off at 50 mbps as it is being throttled and on torrentz i am getting 4-5 mbps ,while when imac is connected via lan wire directly from act fiber box (with no intervention from wireless)i get around 95 mbps browsing speed and 9 mbps in torrents

I meant router limitation if it was a wired connection.

i see 150mbps is specified on router box
Welcome to the exciting world of advertising! For example : I can run faster than Usain Bolt*.
(*When he's sleeping) - see that wasn't so tough :)
WiFi devices default to a 20MHz channel width, in which case your peak theoretical throughput is ~72Mbps (40MHz -> 150Mbps). So getting 50Mbps from a theoretical peak of 72Mbps is indeed fantastic. You could force channel width to 40MHz, but unless all your devices are compatible it might not work. Plus, WiFi is a shared medium, i.e. unless you're in a jungle, there are probably other WiFi networks in your vicinity and with a wider channel width, there's more chance of interference from other wireless networks. You could get a WiFi analysis tool on your phone to check how crowded your WiFi channels are.

You could get an N300 or faster router, but only the imac would benefit; the smart tv is most likely N150 and the PS3 is 802.11g i.e. 54Mbps peak. If all the devices are sitting next to each other, then consider wiring them to the router with ethernet cables instead of using wireless. There is nothing more reliable than a wired connection as you yourself have tested and found.

woah!! that was an awesome example and gyaan

i am thinking to get
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router (Black) for 1245 rs

whats your view on it?? any good alternative in same price band??

usage mainly for video hd streaming and downloads and number of devices is 4-5.

thanks in advance

i purchased d-link n300 dir 615l is it a good router??
on my 10 mbps connection i am getting 80 mbps on wireless,did i miss some thing in setting??

No you haven't missed anything. 80Mbps is still pretty good for N300.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/111-2_4-ghz-dn-c?see=P_A
In the link above, you will find best case wireless throughput for a huge range of routers, on the 2.4GHz band i.e. 802.11n. As you can see a majority are below 100Mbps, and even the most expensive routers (AC routers with N450) max out at 150Mbps.

What wireless standards does your iMac support? If it supports 802.11ac, then you could get an ac router. Do remember that 802.11ac operates on the 5GHz band which has shorter range, so your devices compatible with 802.11ac will need to be close by for good performance.

my computer only supports -802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

i have been trying to make old belkin n150 as an access point ,but as i am changing the setting ,lan address of the router is changing and i am unable to open belkin router webpage

100 Mbps over wireless N is a very good throughput.
I get ~ 70-80 Mbps on N600 router (with a 2x2 receiver MIMO device)

Try connecting to the router with LAN cable then open either - 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

If they don't work then reset the router [There should be a small pin sized hole on the back which you need to press for 5 seconds]

Back