Android MX Player Reportedly Acquired by Times Internet for $200 Million

Most of us using Android are probably familiar with MX Player. It's one of the highest rated video playback apps on the Play Store, with a tremendous 100 million to 500 million downloads. According to a report published by The Ken, the app has just been acquired for $200 million by the Times Internet, a large Indian media company.

MX Player was developed by J2 Interactive, which doesn't seem to have much of a presence online. So far neither the MX Player site nor the official MX Player forum at XDA has been updated to reflect any of this information. According to The Ken, the $200 million purchase is meant to augment the Indian media giant's push into streaming video. This represent's the company's second effort in that market after its previous BoxTV service.

MX Player is incredibly widespread. The Pro version is the #2 top paid app in the Video Players & Editors category on Google Play, and it's #18 in the same free category. If the news is to be believed, we'll just have to wait and see what Times Internet's plans for the app might be or if the original developers will be involved after the sale, as there aren't any details about the acquisition released just yet.

We've reached out J2 Interactive for confirmation, and we'll update this story with any additional information that might be provided.

Source

Source

This is a huge bummer. Fully expecting them to riddle the most liked media player with ridiculous ads :banghead:

Lesson to learn, don't update MX Player. :)

J2 seems to be an Indian company. It was an Indian who was taking feedback about adding " cast " feature into MX Player. That was in last May though.

Their ads already cover full screen whenever you pause compared to 2016 when it was just a small ad on top.
This has been my default video player since I have been using android and no other player is this intuitive.
Yes the intrusive ads had become really annoying but then I bought the pro version during an offer (10 rs) and haven't looked backed since.

Why people use MX (or any ad ridden player ) when perfectly good VLC is available is beyond me.

That’s why the pro version se there and to tell you have used both vlc and mx and nothing comes close to the mx player pro. I have been sung it for over I really don’t remember how many years now.

I hope this doesnt endsup like Es File Explorer (one of old favorites) and other one Quickpic.
Now R.I.P. MX Player.
As per there video streaming plans, one can expect more bloatware and more ram usage..
It may also have been acquired for statistical data of Mx PLayer (which can be incorporated alongwith gaana app).

Well just backing up the current version (in case it goes downhill)

Back