Mount phone wirelessly in the same Wifi network

Just like we mount the phone to a PC using a USB cable, is it possible to mount to Windows 10 wirelessly. I have Nougat on Phone and Windows 10 on PC.

It would be great to see mounted drive in " This PC " just like in USB mounted device. Thanks.

Using some tools yes you can. But those tools are browser based.

Using file explorer you can browse your pc drives and files on your phone.

HowtoGeek had an article which talked about installing an FTP app on Android and mounting it as a network location in ThisPC. Not sure whether that is the best way to go. Xender and other tools give browser-based interface as you mentioned.

I use solid explorer with the ftp addon. In solid explorer go to ftp server click start then go to pc and click right click in my computer to add a network location and just copy the address shown in the app. Also go to your router page and make sure you give a static ip to your phone. You can also browse PC files from phone using samba from the app.

How do we do that ?

How safe is it to use FTP on the phone ?.

It differs for each brand so just google your router model static ip.
As long as your wifi is using wpa2-psk encryption with wps disabled it will be safe. Earlier even when wps was enabled it wasn't much of a problem but now the google playstore is littered with wps cracking apps so even a child can use it. If your router is one of the older model disable wps and make sure you are using wpa2psk with aes encryption.

For PC we put static IP in the machine, right ? I thought we can configure static IP the same way on the phone
I have static IPs on both the phone and file server.File server to phone gives me around 3 MB/s on a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 5 GHz band and a Galaxy S7.

However phone to PC over wifi is horrendously slow at around 400 KB/s.

So theoretically its possible but practically too slow when compared to data cables.

For PC we put static IP in the machine, right ? I thought we can configure static IP the same way on the phone

Phones usually don't have static IP. For me it's usually around 4-5 MB/s speed. Usually file transfer speeds dip when you are copying multiple files instead of say a single movie.
Which router do you have?

Go to your router page and look for dhcp address reservation you will have to type in both pc and mobile mac address and give each a static lan ip.

In dhcp page of router you will see the currently leased dhcp ip to specific mac id. Ascertain the mac of your phone and assign a static ip to it in similar range.

iBall router 300 N and 150 N

How do you tie static IP to device ? MAC address ?

@Marcus Fenix

I do not have separate file server. Just trying to mount the phone's storage as local network drive for easy file transfer between Windows 10 and Android.

You need to enable DHCP reservation and tag your phone's MAC address to a specific IP
upload_2018-3-9_0-54-56.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1520537171][/DOUBLEPOST]
My file server is an Atom mini ITX rig with 16 TB of storage running Windows 10.Nothing exotic...:)[DOUBLEPOST=1520537508][/DOUBLEPOST]
Phones usually don't have static IP. For me it's usually around 4-5 MB/s speed. Usually file transfer speeds dip when you are copying multiple files instead of say a single movie.
Which router do you have?
What is your setup i.e. the app and phone?

The 400 KB/s speed I mentioned is copying from phone storage to shared drive over Solid Explorer.

Last edited:
I use solid explorer on my honor 7, Around 4-5 MBps when using samba 2.0(only copying from phone to pc works)and 7-8 when using FTP.

I use ES File Explorer Pro its worth every penny and can do lots of networking stuff without any complex configs. See for yourself.

Attachments

• 1520572932523.jpg
    1520572932523.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 1520572982224.jpg
    1520572982224.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 337
Back