All OS Moto G display cracked - How much does replacement cost?

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
Through an unfortunate incident (2nd one in 12 months - my lumia 520 broke in Dec 2013), the screen of my Moto G (1st gen) is now broken. The glass is cracked, and the display has vertical bars and lines. However, touch seems to be recognized everywhere. I am able to guess the locations of icons and touch them, and the phone responds fine. Able to make and receive calls, and even text, with some amount of difficulty.
So, what exactly do I need to replace on my mobile? I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.in/itm/LCD-Display-...?pt=IN_Mobile_Accessories&hash=item4ae23367b5
Will this serve the purpose? How much will a local technician charge for the repair, if I get him to buy the display himself?

Join the club bro,
I Dropped a Moto E on concrete and the glass screen has been shattered badly, touch still works tho
sad.png

Need to find a repair shop in Mumbai who fixes it fast and does it for cheaper than the authorized Motorola service center whose asking for 4300 and a week's time to fix it.

Cheers!

Moto g is Easy to repair, have replace one of friends display and it's not that hard and YouTube video available for tutorial

Yeah.. After seeing videos, I decided to do it myself. Ordered the unit mentioned in my first post, and waiting for it. Also came across an original display unit for the year old Lumia 520 that was broken, and ordered that too. Repair and restore time this weekend. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1420735047][/DOUBLEPOST]@zibalingz You could try it yourself I guess.
@manucitc Will get back to you if I encounter any problem.

I didn't want to wait for a month. The display is really bad and unusable right now. Hence opted for ebay. Had a chat with the seller and he says it is an OEM unit. Not sure if I can rely on his words. Let's see.

I would recommend installing tempered glass once you replace the display. It will protect it much better than plain screen guard.

It happened to me. Bought the origina OEM screen digitizer with full screen assembly. Just the glass is difficult to repair. Anr even if u manage to do it yourself, the front camera prolly wont work. Buy one piece from aliexpress. It reached to me in 15 days. Costed 1500. Easy pesy. Technitian was my dad's friend so just charged 100 to replace the assembly.

I ordered the entire display unit (frame with front glass + digitizer + LCD screen) from ebay (source mentioned above). The digitizer was working fine, to my knowledge, but I didn't want to risk separating it out and replacing only the front glass and LCD screen.
It took me around 20 mins on the whole on Sunday afternoon to do the repair. Now the mobile is as good as new. Display is awesome and touch is sensitive. I feel it might be the OEM unit itself.[DOUBLEPOST=1421204644][/DOUBLEPOST]
So the key is source the component yourself and get a local guy to do the repair ?
Yup. Works out quite well and economical too most of the times. In fact, you can repair yourself if you have the inclination to do so. I had also ordered a Lumia 520 display unit (to replace the broken one as mentioned in the first post) alongside the one for Moto G. Turns out the Lumia is much much easier to repair than the Moto G. It took hardly 5 mins for the same. Now the 520 is also up and running without a glitch. :)

Back