Android MOTO G 1st Gen - Broken Glass - Need advice on replacement

rbkumaran

Recruit
Hi Guys

Today just dropped my Moto G and the glass screen broke :(
The phone works well - touch works normal.
Just need your advice on glass replacement.
Enquired with the Authorized service centre guys - 5K for replacing.

Worth it?? or should i try some local service guys

Thanks

Get it done by Authorized Service Centre. You might save a couple of thousands by going to local shops, but you never know what quality products they are using. Its also difficult to get warranty service in the future if your device has been repaired by these local guys.

Same dilemma here. My Nokia c7 digitiseris damaged . Nokia does not service old phones and aftermarket digitiser is available but I'm sure its not gorilla glass , so just left the phone as it is . I have the liberty to do this as mine is a very old phone and I have already upgraded . in your case the quality of the glass and LCD is important as you touch the screen and use it all day , so do not compromise on quality, get it done at the service center . Else buy a new moto e 2015 for a slightly higher price than your screen replacement cost and let the moto g rest in your drawer as it is .

Enquired at a local service centre. They gave a quote for 1.5k. They order the glass online (dont know which site) and will get it done it seems.

I found this listing in Ali Express (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-...moto-g-Free-Shipping-Tracking/1862312665.html)

I am still using the phone with a cracked glass :([DOUBLEPOST=1427709454][/DOUBLEPOST]@logistopath - Yeah, the service centre guy also told me the same - changing the glass is a tricky job. I will better leave that work to the professionals :)[DOUBLEPOST=1427709713][/DOUBLEPOST]@ankushv if u could check the aliexp link in my above post the product description says its a "Corning Gorilla Glass 3". I am thinking to order one and give it the service guys to install it

Last edited:
@rbkumaran You would have to take the claims of those Aliexpress sellers with a huge pinch of salt. I would really doubt if it was GG3. There is no real way of knowing if it is one.

Aaahhh.. confused... :banghead::banghead:
@logistopath - will take the risk mate. Will order one and install it.. if I don't feel it good as the original one then let me put this G to rest and get a new mobile

Aaahhh.. confused... :banghead::banghead:
@logistopath - will take the risk mate. Will order one and install it.. if I don't feel it good as the original one then let me put this G to rest and get a new mobile
I don't think you will have problems other than scratch resistance. Put a decent screen guard on the glass and you must be good to go.

Finally,
Got the glass and the digitizer replaced from a local shop in Ritchie Street for 2k.
The one which i ordered from ebay was just the glass so that did no good.
Screen looks good but i find the brightness to be a bit low

Back