This is my current setup

1. Asus M3A79-T Deluxe motherboard
2. AMD Phenom II X4 940
3. ATI HD 4850
4. 2 x 2 GB RAM
5. 500 GB HDD
6. Sony Writer
7. VIP 500W PSU
(Currently I do not plan to OC and hence thought VIP would be sufficient enough)
(Also the motherboard dealer ensured me that he has updated the bios to support the AMD x4 940)

I connected all of the components, and the motherboard has 8 pin EATX Power connecter, with one half covered up so that I can use the 4 pin EATX power connecter provided by the PSU.

On connecting the power cable, I see that the motherboard's (currently not testing through front panel buttons) power and reset buttons glow. So the power supply is there to the mother board. But on pressing the power button, nothing happens. The PSU fan does not start, the CPU fan does not start, and I do not hear any beeps too.

I stripped out unnecessary ones, and tried both the following combinations
1. CPU, PSU, MB, 1 Stick of RAM, GPU
2. CPU, PSU, MB, 1 Stick of RAM

In all the cases it is the same, power/reset buttons glow, but on pressing the buttons nothing happens.

Currently I have following doubts
1. Is the PSU not at all working - the dealer did test it when it was given
2. Am i missing some connection to the board? - 4 pin EATX power connector and the 24 pin eatx main connector are connected correctly (as the buttons glow)
3. In case the MB bios is not updated to support the CPU, I can understand that CPU wont start, but would not PSU fan start at all ?
Sorry for the long message, but wanted to give as much as possible information

It could also be your cabinet's connection fault. In my case it was a faulty button piece in the CM 335 cabinet. So just try shorting the two power switch pins and see if it boots up. Else it is either a mobo or PSU problem.

where your stay pal

tried different video card low or medium or basic card where you can borrow from your friend and boot it if work also did u reset the ram and plug 6 pin power connect for gpu ;)

also borrow your friend cpu amd 4400 or 5200 x/2 tried if boot stable

cause the asus dealer did not update latest bios for bug fix cause it is not stable to fix the bios

also make sure reset the BIOS using cmos battery and check the fan pin

4 pin cpu connect is enough but 8 pin need overclocking :p

also if does not does work then tried different psu from u friend and plug in if work ;)

it could also be that you need a 8 pin eatx power plug.

maybe the vip is not up to the job of running it on just 4 plugs.

just my 2 cents.

also ask the dealer to check if he has a system running the same psu and with the same motherboard/processor combo to verify that the psu is capable of running the system

hope this helps.

Thanks for the inputs.

I have confirmed that 6-pin to the GPU is connected correctly. And since I am not going to OC as of now (and when I do, I anyways plan to take a corsair branded PSU), I felt the 4-pin eatx would be sufficient. But I will think about the 8-pin factor too.

I have PSU from my old PC, but again that also has only 4pin eatx connector.

I am unable to get old of any X2 AMD processor and hence cannot check with that.

I am left with only choice of taking it back to the dealer and ask whether he has tested with similar rig (as he suggested the PSU for me :mad: :bleh: )

But before doing I thought of putting out my query here to see if anything else I am missing.

Currently I am situated in Bangalore

if you have fixed the m/b inside a case then remove the m/b from the case and try it outside the case. this is to rule out any shorts due to case.
and guys as he said he is not using the case front panel switches but the switches on the m/b.

if trying the m/b outside the case does not help then it is definitely psu issue.

ps: observe carefully whether the psu fan and the cpu fan does not start at all or it starts for a second or there is a very small movement of the fan blades i.e. attempting to start and then stops.

if the fans start and stop immediately then the psu is shutting down due to over voltage / over current protection.

if the fans do not start at all, not even a jerk, then the PWM IC inside the psu is defective.

Try with a different psu preferably non vip ones.

Obama,

I will try with MB outside the case.

I am sure the fans are not starting at all. But will check again, and see if there are any jerks.

Is there any way I can check myself at home, whether the PSU is working and make the PSU fan spin?

pumajay said:
Obama,

I will try with MB outside the case.
I am sure the fans are not starting at all. But will check again, and see if there are any jerks.
Is there any way I can check myself at home, whether the PSU is working and make the PSU fan spin?
Disconnect all the wires of the psu from the m/b and other peripherials.

On the 20/24 pin ATX connector short the Green color wire[PS ON] with any Black colour wire[Ground].
You can use a paperclip or small piece of wire for shorting.

Also check whether earthing is very much in order from the power socket side.

This makes difference in current day systems, though older systems used to ignore it to an extend...

Just unplug all connections and fix them up one by one...Also fix the ram in its slots tightly...

if possible to post the pic of ur mobo after doing conenction...

It could be a power cable connection fault but might be possible there is some problem with your some of chip so get check it by some professional

obama said:
if you have fixed the m/b inside a case then remove the m/b from the case and try it outside the case. this is to rule out any shorts due to case.
and guys as he said he is not using the case front panel switches but the switches on the m/b.

if trying the m/b outside the case does not help then it is definitely psu issue.

Thanks Obama. That did the trick. I guess one of screws was shorting the MB somewhere. On removing the MB outside, it started working. Now I have connected everything back, CPU boots up (looks like the dealer did update the MB :hap2: ). Now I am using my computer with my Samsung 2233sw, and it is good and I can hardly hear any noise from my cabinet.

Yay... Thanks to all of your inputs. Also this forum actually helped in choosing some of the components, though this being the first thread.

its ur PSU i had similar problems with a cheap zebronics pure platinum PSU .If you got such a good config u shud invest in a decent PSU IMO unless you want your pricey components fried.

Back