Mixing CL5 and CL6 modules

3dsugar

Disciple
I am upgrading RAM in my old PC having motherboard Asus p5Q Pro.

Right now I have G.skill 4GBPQ 2 x 2GB 800 mhz CL5 modules working in dual channel.

Want to add additional 4GB by combining 2 x 2GB Kingston ValueRam KVR800D2N6 800 mhz which are CL6 modules.

So. will this work?[DOUBLEPOST=1513326490][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone?... Here I put precisely.

Ram 1 combination - G.skill 2 x 2GB 800 mhz in dual channel = 4GB but this is CL5

Ram 2 combination - 2 x 2GB Kingston ValueRam KVR800D2N6 800 mhz = 4GB this is CL6

My question is, so what will happen with this config? Will Ram 2 combination wotk in dual channel as well?

Regards

Last edited:
There should be some matching speeds in the ram for it to work. Unless you put up cpuz images of the ram timings we can't say what will happen.

There should be some matching speeds in the ram for it to work. Unless you put up cpuz images of the ram timings we can't say what will happen.

I purchased 2 modules of Kingston ValueRAM KVR800D2N6/2G 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM Desktop Memory

But when I checked BIOS, they are running at 667 Mhz instead of 800 Mhz. My older memory is CL5 and new memory is CL6. I read that when you mix CL5 and CL6, the resulted config runs at CL6.

Then why my config is running at 667 Mhz and where to check CL5 or CL6 setting?

Attached is the cpuz screen capture.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture_CPUZ.PNG
    Capture_CPUZ.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 248
cl5/ cl6 is in spd tab. if you put faster ram with slower ram, it will run at slower ram speed always.
how did you put the new ram sticks? i think each pair should be in alternate slots to run at dual channel. look at the mobo manual on how to mix ram modules.

I am running latest version of cpuz but its showing blank in SPD tab. For all the 4 slots. Why so?

Attachments

• Capture_spd.PNG
    Capture_spd.PNG
    72.2 KB · Views: 244
Hi guys,

I manually changed DRAM frequency in BIOS from Auto to 800 Mhz. And guess what, the information in SPD tab has appeared since then. Attached are the screen shots. I did not change CL value, rather I don't exactly understand what is cas latency and don't know how to change it. Also, I googled on dual channel memory but haven't found specific info. So I'd like to ask here.

Therefore my question is

1) My system is running as 2 sets of dual channel ram?
2) What exactly happens in my system (in theory)? Frequency gets doubled like 800 + 800 = 1600 mhz? I have 4 modules, so it is 800 * 4 = 3200 mhz?
3) Both the pairs are running at CL5?
4) What is JEDEC column which are different for G.skill and Kingston modules?

Thanks & Regards

Attachments

• memory.PNG
    memory.PNG
    46.9 KB · Views: 243
  • spd1.PNG
    spd1.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 233
  • spd2.PNG
    spd2.PNG
    49.3 KB · Views: 235
  • spd3.PNG