Microsoft Killing the Nokia X Series

Wait, what?

"we plan to shift select Nokia X product designs to become Lumia products running Windows"

So they will do a recall, or do an OTA update from Android to windows?

Nokia-X2_group.jpg

As expected, Microsoft has decided that it is time for Nokia X line-up to make way for the company’s primary Windows Phone business.

In his big lay-off email today, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella wrote that the company plans to transfer select Nokia X device designs to Lumia team to become Windows phone devices.

“We plan to shift select Nokia X product designs to become Lumia products running Windows,” Satya noted.

While Nadella might have used word “select,” the company has clarified to Re/Code that it doesn’t plan to make future Android-based Nokia X phones. This means we will probably not see any other Nokia-branded Android smartphones after the recently announced X2.

More details and context from Stephen Elop’s email:

“In addition to the portfolio already planned, we plan to deliver additional lower-cost Lumia devices by shifting select future Nokia X designs and products to Windows Phone devices. We expect to make this shift immediately while continuing to sell and support existing Nokia X products.

So, Nokia X is officially dead and the in-production/ testing Nokia X devices will either be moved to Windows Phone or killed.

Originally introduced in February this year, Nokia X platform was the company (Nokia at that time)’s attempt to make affordable smartphone using Android Open-Source Project (AOSP) and get the first time smartphone buyers acquainted with Microsoft services, so that it will be easier to sell them Windows Phone devices when they are in the market for their next smartphone purchase.

It was a good move. A huge market to be had. But since then, they made Windows Phone free, total shift in strategy and a change of management. Look at the sexy nokia Z launcher. The strategy wasn't bad, the implementation was bad. Most of us were cheering the strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
MS can focus on their own platform now. Riding two horses, one of which was controlled by Google would be very difficult, costs point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
MS should and shall always concentrate on their primary product rather than mixing it with other OS as a trail and use base. Else it'll again fall in the same struggling category as it was 2-3yrs back.
Focus should be only on Lumia/Windows with not more than 10-15% integration with Android. But a little more up and down and MS is gonna screw itself again.

Didn't they release a new X2 just last month? Now they're killing the whole lineup? Lots of people won't even buy the x2 now since I doubt wp8 can be installed on it. Knowing MS, only upgrade path would be to buy a new phone.

Not only that,but they are also closing their XBOX ENTERTAINMENT STUDIOS . No future project but they will be coming out with Next Halo. Halo - Nightfall.

It was a good move. A huge market to be had. But since then, they made Windows Phone free, total shift in strategy and a change of management. Look at the sexy nokia Z launcher. The strategy wasn't bad, the implementation was bad. Most of us were cheering the strategy.
You still don't get it do you. oh lets create a half way house device and try and poach some of those android users over to wp8. What does the user get ? not android or WP. That is the fundamental flaw.

It was a ridiculous move or a frivolous one, this is why its being wound up in less than six months. Companies make stupid decisions now and then. Brains is calling this out at the time instead of parroting out hype. Not a single reviewer worth their salt could make head or tail about it.

The way you get users is make products that can actually compete. They did this with the lumia series, the first one that turned heads. Now with all those nokia people gone i really wonder if they can do it any more. Seeing how downsized the 630 is am really dreading to see the new crop of WP phones. They won't stand out like lumia's thats for sure or htc 8x.

Now with windows free they will be pretty run of the mill and not distinguish themselves. This is a setback, they can recover but it will take time. Two years.

You still don't get it do you. oh lets create a half way house device and try and poach some of those android users over to wp8. What does the user get ? not android or WP. That is the fundamental flaw.

It was a ridiculous move or a frivolous one, this is why its being wound up in less than six months. Companies make stupid decisions now and then. Brains is calling this out at the time instead of parroting out hype. Not a single reviewer worth their salt could make head or tail about it.

The way you get users is make products that can actually compete. They did this with the lumia series, the first one that turned heads. Now with all those nokia people gone i really wonder if they can do it any more. Seeing how downsized the 630 is am really dreading to see the new crop of WP phones. They won't stand out like lumia's thats for sure or htc 8x.

Now with windows free they will be pretty run of the mill and not distinguish themselves. This is a setback, they can recover but it will take time. Two years.
Someone give this guy some cheese.

Going into android was a good decision. strategy to use that horrible launcher was bad. It was also overpriced. That is why the second iteration was going to be totally new and the older ones wouldn't get updated. You need to stop flattering yourself with all the "Brain is ..." crap. Thanks for giving a good laugh. Your misguided narcissism is always fun.

Someone give this guy some cheese.

Going into android was a good decision. strategy to use that horrible launcher was bad. It was also overpriced. That is why the second iteration was going to be totally new and the older ones wouldn't get updated. You need to stop flattering yourself with all the "Brain is ..." crap. Thanks for giving a good laugh. Your misguided narcissism is always fun.
You've justified my post, as i can see your attitude is no different to when it came up last.

Nothing was wrong with the price it was the concept that was in no mans land. Kinda like midrange phones are on shaky ground nowadays.

Don't use words you can't back up. I am not claiming to have come up with this idea on my own, a few other people clued me into it. They are the ones with the 'brains'. Some people asked me about the x when it came out i told them to stay the hell away from it. Am i glad i told them that. you bet.

Last edited:
You've justified my post, as i can see your attitude is no different to when it came up last.

Nothing was wrong with the price it was the concept that was in no mans land. Kinda like midrange phones are on shaky ground nowadays.

Don't use words you can't back up. I am not claiming to have come up with this idea on my own, a few other people clued me into it. They are the ones with the 'brains'. Some people asked me about the x when it came out i told them to stay the hell away from it. Am i glad i told them that. you bet.
You're hilarious man.

I agree that nokia went in with android ,it was good alternative. I think that Microsoft didn't want the X series competing with lumia. Moreover its windows phone from which Microsoft benefits most. But with X series we still get a reliable alternative. It would have been really good to have them. I was planing to get one actually :) .

Back