micro ATX HTPC for around 15k

Discussion in 'PC Buying Advice' started by scarezebra, Apr 12, 2012.

1. scarezebra

scarezebra Active Member
    Adept

I am looking forward to building an HTPC.

Sole purpose: run XBMC 11, Downloading torrents, Watch 1080p videos

I will be connecting the HTPC via HDMI to an AVR. I will be placing the case horizontally since my present setup won't allow for a vertical cabinet. I want it to be silent and to have low power consumption since it will be ON most of the time. And It has to be really compact.

Also I would like to be able to control XBMC using my Harmony remote.
    1. Q: What is your budget?
      1. 15k (I am not sure whether this is enuff but I am willing stretch a bit max 2k)
    2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
      1. None
    3. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name)?
      1. CPU- Any will do
      2. Motherboard - micro ATX
      3. GPU - if required to run 1080p videos (else built in GPU would also do)
      4. Micro ATX cabinet +PSU (cheapest available)
      5. RAM: 2 GB
      6. HDD: 1 TB
      7. IR receiver
    4. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
      1. Might add a blu-ray reader a few months down the line
    5. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
      1. Mumbai
      2. Open to online purchase
    6. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
      1. Yes
    7. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
      1. HTPC
      2. Download rig, 24x7 operation
      3. Watching HD movies
    8. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
      1. None
    9. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
      1. Desktop - 1080p (I am using a Panasonic P50V20)
    10. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
      1. No
    11. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
      1. XBMCbuntu

Thanks in advance

2. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member
    Adept

3. scarezebra

scarezebra Active Member
    Adept

^^thanks buddy... Everything fits right within my budget.. :)

just one problem though, the cabinet seems to be a but tall... My current entertainment unit would not ffit anything taller than 13 cm ... I will try to find something that Is a bit shorter or else i will have to place the cabinet outside ... :p

Thanks again...

4. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member
    Adept

M-ATX cases are expensive and more than your budget so i've given the low cost good quality case,it's upto you to find or put the case outside or not.

5. scarezebra

scarezebra Active Member
    Adept

Oh damn!!! [​IMG] Yeah I guess the budget is more of a constraint that the size... Thanks man ..

6. Marcus Fenix

Marcus Fenix Active Member
    Adept

7. ALPHA17

ALPHA17 Big man with a mouth
    Adept

Better than the above two offerings is the Cooler Master eLite 100 ~3500/- #[member='asingh'] Sire has done a review on the same --> http://www.techencla...-24-x-7-dl-rig/.

OP Sire, for your usage pattern I think a standard AMD Bobcat based RIG will be sufficient --

Bobcat CPU + mini-ITX motherboard [the E-350 is fused onto the motherboard] ~7500/-

[rest same configuration as Jakob]

The above RIG will be able to play HD movies and will consume lesser power to boot.

hope this helps, Cheers!!

8. boomshankar

boomshankar Active Member
    Disciple

Chk out the [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cooler Master Elite 360 - ~2k [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Perfect quality budget cabinet for HTPC, I'm actually currently using the same

Review by[/font]
    JayMathers

-
    -Edit--

just seen ur 13cm requirement....i think this^ is almost 15cm..

9. Marcus Fenix

Marcus Fenix Active Member
    Adept

Elite 360 has dimensions of (W) 148 x (H) 360 x (D) 439 mm which are more than 130mm specified by the OP.

BTW Elite 100 is the first sleek HTPC cabinet that comes to mind but I suggested that Cheapo Nettop cabby as the total budget is 15k

10. Leshy

Leshy Well-Known Member
    Disciple

sorry for hijacking this thread but i am also need the same requirement [​IMG]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]AMD A6-3500-4k[HD6530 inbuilt][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GIGABYTE (pls. suggest a good board with HDMI)[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Corsair Value ram 4gb-1.2k[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fsp Sagaii 400W-1.8k[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Segate 500GB-4k[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Silverstone Sugo Series SG02B-F00020-4k [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]dont mind extending the budget [/font]

11. ALPHA17

Adept

Why don't you start a fresh thread Sire?

Fill up the template and we might be able to tailor a better deal for you because you said you do not mind extending the budget. Cheers!!

12. stalker

stalker Well-Known Member
    Veteran

Alternative perhaps, but please don't call the elite better than the Sugo. The Sugo is in a different plane altogether.

13. ALPHA17

Adept

Sire, Considering OP's requirement the SUGO is too large, I am not saying it is bad. But current requirements and conditions curtail us to promote the eLite 100 over other offerings.

Hope this enunciates my stand clearly, Cheers!!

14. scarezebra

scarezebra Active Member
    Adept

Thanks guys for all the suggestions [​IMG] ... I just went through the links mentioned above ... And it looks like Elite 100 is a really good option... is really compact as well.. I am bit of noob in the HTPC region.. So this Elite 100 cabinte would fit the A6 proccy+mobo combo without any issues right?

15. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member
    Adept

Yes it will.

16. vivek.krishnan

vivek.krishnan Workaholic + Teetotaler + pfSense FTW.
    Veteran

Unless you wont be needing to add more peripherals in the machine, avoid the eLite. However, if thats all that you plan to keep, go for it.

17. babhishek

babhishek Well-Known Member
    Adept

just go for a zotacmag!

why do u want to build one ?

if u were playing hi end games i would have understood the effort behind building one, but for your usage, just get a mag!

18. scarezebra

scarezebra Active Member
    Adept

^^ Want to build one just for the fun of it.... I am in kind of a DIY mood these days... [​IMG]

Just a small doubt .. If I go for the Elite 100; will the bundled 150 W PSU be sufficient for my use ?? would I need to change the PSU? IF yes, isn't the PSU for that cabinet a different from the normal ATX PSUs avaialble?

Also I had forgotten to mention it earlier. I need to connect the HTPC to the AVR through HDMI.. So mobo/GPU with HDMI is what I want [​IMG]

I have come across this mobo http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=558&tab=2 which has HDMI out ... and it costs around 3.3k in Flipkart (out of stock now). Is this a decent choice? Or any other mobos with HDMI out which I should check out?

19. ALPHA17

Adept

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

20. scarezebra

scarezebra Active Member
    Adept

From the various suggestions that you guys are giving an from my own research its becoming more and more clear that i might have to chuck the idea of a compact case and just go ahead with a full sized one... Also the more I read the more I am getting tempted to increase my budget [​IMG] ...