Budget 0-20k Memory Upgrade Suggestions Required

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Friends,

As all hardware prices are keep increasing, thus I postponed my new system build plan and looking to upgrade existing one's RAM (Memory)

But in dilemma, that, out of 2 system with me, which one should I upgrade (DDR3 or DDR4)?

Open for NEW or Used RAM too (either Online/Offline or from Reputed TE members too)

SYSTEM 1:- (Primaryly using i5 as main system - with below type of uses)
Issue Type (
keep crashing with BSOD- memory management message)

Intel i5 @ 2400 - 3.1GHz
Intel DH67BL Motherboard
DDR3 - 4GB x 2 - Gskill Value RAM (1333mhz)
500GB WD HDD
Seasonic-ii - 430w

STSTEM 2:-

(
often use for 1 or 2 program or MS Office only- but very slow due to 4GB RAM)
i3 - 6098P (3.60 GHZ)
DDR4 - 4GB x 1 - Kingston Value RAM
500GB WD HDD
Gigabyte - H110M-H-C-CF
Generic PSU

• My Work Type/Uses :
  1. System keep Running 11 AM To 1 AM (14 hrs. NON STOP)
  2. Among 14 hrs., 2-3 hrs for YouTube (for Cartoon/ TV Serial etc.), but same time browser/BlueStacks etc. keep running. (along with Point No.4 &5 activities)
  3. Requires to open minimum 3 different browser at a time (FireFox, Opera & Comodo Icedragon)
  4. Minimum 10-12 Tabs (randomly from any of above Browser) requires to keep open/surfing at all time. Comparison Work & too check if page/image/font etc. looking SAME with all browsers and yes HTML code writing too.
  5. Photoshop/PhotoScape/PDF Reader keep open often for few Images/cut/copy/paste/brightness/changes/Printing etc.
  6. Windows OFFICE Suite (some time but along with all above activities) (along with Point No.4 &5 activities)
  7. YouTube for Uploading/Downloading and Testing Videos/Demos (along with Point No.4 &5 activities)
  8. Windows Movie Maker (while using movie maker, trying to keep minimum browser should be open) (along with Point No.4 &5 activities)
  9. Android emulator - BlueStack (3-4 apps keep open anytime/every time) (along with Point No.4 &5 activities)
Please suggest your best,

Thank you

Last edited:
Did you find out the reason for the Bsod? Have you done complete check on hdd and memory for bad sectors?

i5 is 2nd Gen cpu with 4 cores and i3 is almost same speed 6th gen cpu with just 2 cores. GPU in i3 is better than the one in i5.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/502/Intel_Core_i3_i3-6098P_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-2400.html

which system is running 14 hours? i3 or i5? Which system runs android emulator? the i3 one with just 4GB ram? 4GB is very low for android emulation and requires 8-16GB ram if you want to keep 5-6 tabs, youtube, photoshop, office etc open along with the android emulator. And for photoshop, it would be better to put a low end gpu too since it will share gpu memory too for doing work.

My recommendation would be to upgrade the i3 system and sell off the i5 if you don't want it or don't use it. Why use any system that keeps crashing like you said?
maybe put the seasonic psu in the i3, buy 1x8GB ddr4 ram (since your i3 motherboard has only 2 ram slots) or sell off old ddr4 ram and buy 2x8GB ram for total of 16GB ram.

I think this memory might work. It says optimised for x99 chipset though. Voltage, CL timings all match with motherboard manual.
HyperX Fury Black 8 GB CL15 DIMM DDR4 2400 MT/s Internal Memory (HX424C15FB2/8) Rs5,934.00 + 100.00

Oh Sorry, forget to mentioned that primarily using i5 for all works/uses.

Memory checked with Windows Memtest and HDD with WD Data Life Guard Tools and no issue found with any HW.

BSOD strikes, as soon as I open 4-5 tabs with Blustacks and Photoscape Software.

BlueStacks 4 - tested on i5 system and it refuse to load BelusStacks Engine (stuck after 99% loading and blusestacks ask to restart engine or system) so turn with old version of BlueStacks.

Thank you for quick reply

Did you find out the reason for the Bsod? Have you done complete check on hdd and memory for bad sectors?

i5 is 2nd Gen cpu with 4 cores and i3 is almost same speed 6th gen cpu with just 2 cores. GPU in i3 is better than the one in i5.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/502/Intel_Core_i3_i3-6098P_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-2400.html

which system is running 14 hours? i3 or i5? Which system runs android emulator? the i3 one with just 4GB ram? 4GB is very low for android emulation and requires 8-16GB ram if you want to keep 5-6 tabs, youtube, photoshop, office etc open along with the android emulator. And for photoshop, it would be better to put a low end gpu too since it will share gpu memory too for doing work.

My recommendation would be to upgrade the i3 system and sell off the i5 if you don't want it or don't use it. Why use any system that keeps crashing like you said?
maybe put the seasonic psu in the i3, buy 1x8GB ddr4 ram (since your i3 motherboard has only 2 ram slots) or sell off old ddr4 ram and buy 2x8GB ram for total of 16GB ram.

I think this memory might work. It says optimised for x99 chipset though. Voltage, CL timings all match with motherboard manual.
HyperX Fury Black 8 GB CL15 DIMM DDR4 2400 MT/s Internal Memory (HX424C15FB2/8) Rs5,934.00 + 100.00

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Mon 01-Oct-18 12:51:49 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100118-20046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (FLTMGR+0x7207)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x3F, 0xB6FA, 0x8F461CC6, 0x8F461CB6)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Mon 01-Oct-18 12:51:49 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x5164A)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x3F, 0xB6FA, 0x8F461CC6, 0x8F461CB6)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion
2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.[DOUBLEPOST=1538392587][/DOUBLEPOST]

Last edited:
Run that why so slow with BlueStack running and Photoshop and office and browser tabs.

I'm guessing your Windows is running out of memory and page file is filling up due to BlueStack. Is page file set to automatic?

I'm guessing your Windows is running out of memory and page file is filling up due to BlueStack. Is page file set to automatic?
  1. Last time paging file set on E drive (on same system HDD) 2.5 time of 8GB .. still Crashing
  2. Earlier to that, paging file set on C Drive (on same system HDD) - 2.5 time of 8GB ... still crashing
  3. Now paging file - let maintain (Suggested by windows) by Windows (on same system HDD) ... still crashing

I've had issues with Bluestacks as well. It BSODs once in a while for me. No other app causes my system to crash like it does.

Can you try with Genymotion or another Android emulator? If the same thing works on Genymotion then it's BlueStack problem which is making the OS crash.

[DOUBLEPOST=1538399257][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can you try with Genymotion or another Android emulator? If the same thing works on Genymotion then it's BlueStack problem which is making the OS crash.

I tried one, other than BlueStacks, forgot it's name, but it looks very horrible (big font/app covers full screen-not able to adjust window/no option found to import/export files from Window/desktop)

PS: just remember the name of other Android emulator I used- was KOPLAYER

Last edited:
I think it's software having memory leak. If Windows does not crash if you don't use BlueStack or something then it's definitely BlueStack which is causing the bsod. Run BlueStack only on the i5. Rest of stuff run on i3. If the i5 still crashes, then it's blue stack.

Edit: is the second screen shot with BlueStack running? Look at the page fault stats. 1st image it's zero. 2nd image it's 70/s.

Edit: is the second screen shot with BlueStack running? Look at the page fault stats. 1st image it's zero. 2nd image it's 70/s.

Yes, with 2nd Screenshot was captured while following ALL programs were open:-

1] 7-8 Tabs (Opera + FireFox)
2] BlueStacks (2 apps open)
3] MS Office (excel sheet)
4] PhotoScape

What is your windows version 7, 8 or 10?
32-bit or 64-bit?
Are your windows up to date?[DOUBLEPOST=1538408347][/DOUBLEPOST]My company has provided a Core i5-4590 (4th generation) computer. It has 4GB DDR3. When I open lots of Excel files it hangs/slows but never show BSOD.[DOUBLEPOST=1538409021][/DOUBLEPOST]Remove/clean RAM and reinstall.

Update all drivers.

Check CPU overheating issue.

Are you using Microsoft Office 2016 or 18. They are resource hungry

Last edited:
What is your windows version 7, 8 or 10?
32-bit or 64-bit?
Are your windows up to date?[DOUBLEPOST=1538408347][/DOUBLEPOST]My company has provided a Core i5-4590 (4th generation) computer. It has 4GB DDR3. When I open lots of Excel files it hangs/slows but never show BSOD.[DOUBLEPOST=1538409021][/DOUBLEPOST]Remove/clean RAM and reinstall.

Update all drivers.

Check CPU overheating issue.

Are you using Microsoft Office 2016 or 18. They are resource hungry

1] Windows 10 - 64BIT with all latest updates - up to date
2] About CPU Temp, please refer above screenshot. (whyslow software)
3] MS Office, first I installed 2016 and think that it might have any issue with old system so turn to 2010 but still - BSOD keep coming
4] RAM/Cleaning - I really didn't did it, since it installed (just open cabinet remove dust and also clean - FAN/HeatSink/PSU too open and clean) EVERY once in year.
5] Following is my PSU image, check if you can suggest any....

[DOUBLEPOST=1538470710][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi,

Any input from other experts...[DOUBLEPOST=1538470811][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've had issues with Bluestacks as well. It BSODs once in a while for me. No other app causes my system to crash like it does.

Hi, now what are you using in place of BlueStacks for your issue get solved? if yes? how?

Last edited:
Dude years ago I used to use BlueStack and it is resource hungry. Somewhere I found Genymotion and then I bid goodbye to BlueStack. Genymotion is very lightweight with no resource hogging and i used to test many apps inside Genymotion with many tabs opened in FF + listening to mp3 etc. Never felt the load.
Then I was on 6gb ram though and pagefile set to manual 2gb on another drive.

Dude years ago I used to use BlueStack and it is resource hungry. Somewhere I found Genymotion and then I bid goodbye to BlueStack. Genymotion is very lightweight with no resource hogging and i used to test many apps inside Genymotion with many tabs opened in FF + listening to mp3 etc. Never felt the load.
Then I was on 6gb ram though and pagefile set to manual 2gb on another drive.

thanks for suggestion, but I'm looking for FREE service/emulator

That time Genymotion was free for one email id etc. I used it for more than a year. Give it a try then think of buying a license.
BlueStack was only good during its early days thereafter it itself became one big OS.

That time Genymotion was free for one email id etc. I used it for more than a year. Give it a try then think of buying a license.
BlueStack was only good during its early days thereafter it itself became one big OS.

Just installed MEmu Andriod Emulator, will reply here if found any issue... thanks for suggestion

MEmu, Andy all of these android emulators have bitcoin miners in them.

Code:
[URL]https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/8saimw/another_android_emulator_memu_admits_to_bundling/[/URL]

Code:
[URL]https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/8roayh/warning_andy_android_emulator_andyos_andyroid/[/URL]

Another free one is Nox -
Code:
[URL]http://www.bignox.com[/URL]
but it has some Chinese spyware in it. 
[URL]https://www.reddit.com/r/bravefrontier/comments/9knnac/how_to_block_nox_spyware/[/URL]

Android Studio is too huge and you cannot run just the emulator standalone in it, so its not for your usage type. So better stick to Bluestacks.

Edit: I purposely put links in code so the websites don't get a link referral from TE just to be safe.

Edit2: Genymotion is free for personal use. See here. They ask you to make an account first.

Code:
https://www.genymotion.com/fun-zone/

Last edited:
Edit2: Genymotion is free for personal use. See here. They ask you to make an account first.

Code:
https://www.genymotion.com/fun-zone/

Thank you for your immense help from busy schedule/work... really.. TE never disappoint me when ever i need it.

Back