Linux Mandriva 2009.0 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't happen when I use pidgin on windows though. :|

KDE. Didn't I just post it? :S Or do you want something else?

Don't know ... don't use the webcam at all.

^ nice review there.

one question i wanted to ask. why is the sound volume so low compared to windows on linux? i found this problem on 2-3 editions of ubuntu and mandriva as well. all volume levels are turned to max even my speakers are max. music is fine, but for movies even after setting everything to max, i cant hear some of things said.

viralbug said:
^ nice review there.

one question i wanted to ask. why is the sound volume so low compared to windows on linux? i found this problem on 2-3 editions of ubuntu and mandriva as well. all volume levels are turned to max even my speakers are max. music is fine, but for movies even after setting everything to max, i cant hear some of things said.
Try clicking on the Audio button in the tray, then click on Mixer, and make sure "Front" is maximum.

Dark Star, I figured that my External hard drive is in read only mode because I'm not "root". When I access it as "root" in terminal, it works fine.

If I try to run a 1080p video on Vista, it's insanely choppy. On Mandriva, I can run the same 1080p video smoothly, alongwith another video(TV show), DC++(which also would slow down Vista if it were the only thing running), Pidgin, installing stuff and about 20 windows of Firefox.

It's a pain in the ass to install stuff and there are a few bugs, and I'm giving up playing Fifa and PES, but it's worth it.

PS: I'm not an MS hater; infact quite the opposite. Hope Windows 7 kicks butt!

:D

i use klm mega codec pack with media player classic on vista. have yet to face any problem playing any type of file. works just great.

some say mega code pack is bloated. but i had tried the standard pack and faced a problem with a couple of my files. so instantly removed and installed mega pack. once installed no need to do anything. :p

I have an issue with running mysql on mandriva 2009, I get the following error

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket 'var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I tried googling and found out that, disabling selinux is a solution.. but there aint not /etc/sysconfig/selinux file, I couldnt find it.. tried setting the permission of va/lib/mysql to 755 as another reply suggested.. no help.. what to dos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back