Linux Mandriva 2009.0 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Mandriva%20Logo.png

All 'Mandriva 2009.0' Release News Goes Here

Mandriva 2009.0 Released

Mandriva Linux 2009 is one of the most ground-breaking releases of Mandriva Linux, the leader in innovative and easy-to-use desktop Linux, ever.

It introduces KDE 4 - specifically, 4.1.2 - as the default desktop. This major new release of KDE promises to revolutionize the desktop experience. Other major new software versions include GNOME 2.24, OpenOffice.org 3.0, and Mozilla Firefox 3. The Linux kernel version is 2.6.27. No less important are the major re-designs of the Mandriva installer and Control Center tools.​

Plans implemented in 2009.0 Final : -
  • Improved boot time
  • Optional automatic removal of 'orphans' (no longer required packages) in the package management tools
  • The use of the increasingly popular and fast-maturing PackageKit and PolicyKit technologies
  • Improvements to the Mandriva Windows migration and parental control tools
  • A live distribution upgrade mode for MandrivaUpdate
  • A new design for the installer
  • Migration to KDE 4, OpenOffice.org 3, and Firefox 3
  • Splashy will replace Boot Splash
  • Live Upgrade (Same as Ubuntu Update Manager )
Features :
  • Linux kernel 2.6.27 [Using Linux Kernel 2.6.27 rc9?]

• GCC 4.3
  • GNOME 2.24
  • KDE 4.1.2
  • Firefox 3.0.3
  • OpenOffice.org 3.0
  • Revamped installer
  • Improved boot speed
  • Improved DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) management
  • Improved language selection
  • Implementation of the PolicyKit and PackageKit technologies
  • Improvements to the Mandriva Windows Migration and Parental Control utilities
  • Live Upgrade (same as Ubuntu's update-manager tool)
  • Initscript improvements
  • Splashy will replace the actual boot splash
  • Lots of desktop improvements
Development planning:The following editions are planned for each pre-release:
  • Free : x86-32 and x86-64 DVDs, x86-32 CD, dual x86-32 / x86-64 Mini CD - 100% free / open source software
  • One : KDE and GNOME x86-32 CDs, including proprietary drivers

Roadmap :-
  • [strike]Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 1 : 2008/06/25
  • Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 2 : 2008/07/10
  • Mandriva Linux 2009 Beta 1 : 2008/07/29
  • Mandriva Linux 2009 Beta 2 : 2008/08/19
  • Mandriva Linux 2009 RC 1 : 2008/09/03
  • Mandriva Linux 2009 RC 2 : 2008/09/23
  • Mandriva Linux 2009 Official Internal Release : 2008/10/02
  • Mandriva Linux 2009 Official Public Release : 2008/10/09[/strike]

New and Improved Free/Power Pack Installer

Download Mandriva 2009.0 : Download | Mandriva

Source : 2009.0 - Mandriva Community Wiki | 2009.0 Tour - Mandriva Community Wiki | 2009.0 Errata - Mandriva Community Wiki | 2009.0 Notes - Mandriva Community Wiki

Thanks for information,at least it carries KDE 4.1 beta 2.KDE 4.0 was a mistake from developers.Lets hope better now.I will try this alpha release on sunday.My OpenSuse already updated with KDE4.1:D Nothing impressing again:(

=Dark Star;863720]@coolboy4you : Can you please upoad the KDE 4.1Beta 2 wallpaper ? That resembles with the Ksplash posted here ?

Sorry dude OpenSuse is no longer in use now,Formatted due to crashing every 5 min with KDE 4.1 Beta 2 installed.

Going to install Mandriva 2009 alpha 2 KDE in 1 -2 hours,will post screen of my deskop soon:)

Link above for Mandriva 2009 KDE CD is for live one?? There is no option to install on hard disk.

Dark Star said:
^^The LIve CD wil install on HDD .. btw I have provided Free Ed. Link to :)

I have this live CD but there is no option to install on hard disk in boot or after.After loading Live CD how can we install on hard disk?

Firefox crashed many time on browsing internet in Mandriva 2009 Alpha 2.There are some bugs for sure.Need improvement.

Actually I don't know the exact location but it would be somewhere in /usr/share/wallpapers or /usr/share/ . .Well you don't need to worry just select the wallpaper and click on browse button and you will get the location

I want this wallpaper and the browse button is also located

Browse takes to home folder for new wallpaper image source.Any way managed to search whole partition for png,jpeg.jpg images with kfind.Got the wallpaper.It is blue pearl,Ksplash is with black pearl :clap:

Here is...

wow it surely looks great!

im kinda bored with ubuntu hardy heron. i would like to try mandriva. is the beta version pretty much stable? i think ill wait for beta 2 to release on 18th.

Mandriva 2009.0 Beta 2 Release ":) Comes with new and improved installer for Free and Powerpack Ed . :) Tested and I am pretty satisfied :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back