Mandriva 2008.1 Spring Edition : Breath Of Fresh Air

MANDRIVA-BLACK_0.png

Mandriva 2008.1 Spring Edition Review: Breath Of Fresh Air

Mandriva is the leading European Linux distributor. It was founded in 1998 under the name Mandrake, producing the Linux Mandrake distribution. The name Mandriva was adopted in 2005, following a merger between Mandrake and Conectiva (a Brazilian Linux distributor) and also a trademark lawsuit in which Mandrake was sued by Hearst Publications, an American company which syndicates a comic strip named Mandrake the Magician. Mandriva Linux earlier known as Mandrake Linux was first released on July 1'st 1998. The first release was based on Red Hat and KDE..From its inception to version 8.0, Mandrake named its flagship distribution Linux-Mandrake. From version 8.1 to 9.2 it was called Mandrake Linux.The product lifetime of Mandriva Linux releases is 18 months for base updates and 12 months for desktop updates.

Mandriva Linux known for its intuitive interface and providing newbie friendly Linux Distribution.. Mandriva 2008.x series comes with some advance GUI tools that will help you to Interact with your computer easily and will allow you to setup your hardware without any hassle.. Being a KDE featured Desktop Mandriva focuses more on KDE though other Desktop Environment are available..The new Mandriva 2008.1 Spring Edition features latest and the best software from the Linux barracks.. On the base software front you will be greeted with the brand new GNOME 2.22 desktop, the latest stable KDE 3.5.9 .Linux kernel 2.6.24.4, gcc 4.2.3, glibc 2.7, X.Org 7.3, compiz 0.7.2, Pulse Audio Sound Server etc... Other Desktop Environment available on the repositories are the latest KDE 4.0.3, Xfce 4.4.2 and IceWM 1.3.1..

In the software bag, Mandriva has added a lot of new and essential applications for your day to day need.. Compiz Fusion 0.7.2, OpenOffice.org 2.4.0, Firefox 2.0.0.13, Gimp 2.4.5.Mozila Thunderbird 2.0,Kmail, Amarok 1.4.8. Apart from these you will get basic applications provided by the Desktop Environment with an addition of some gr8 software ...So keep reading ! Mandriva 2008.1 for the 1'st time added the NTFS Write support out of the box..The write support wasn't available on the 2008.0 version..

Though Mandriva is a KDE centered Distros it offers Gnome to meet the need of other public.. Not only that Mandriva has specialized in Gnome Softwares and Updates and provide as better software in Gnome like KDE...Mandriva 2008.1 includes the cutting edge Gnome 2.22.1. with all new and re mastered applications.. Mandriva coders has remastered some of the applications to ease the use and added some valuable feature. Major improvements have been made to GNOME's Bluetooth module, improving the interface and adding several new features so you can now interact with Bluetooth devices in many ways from this single point.Totem, GNOME's media player, now has full support for DVB digital television and is used as default video player plug in Firefox.

Mandriva always stands one step ahead of other distribution in terms of overall experience.. Though ranked #6 in Distrowatch.. Mandriva features and utilities makes it one of the best newbie friendly distro out there.. The best feature of Mandriva is that the developers try to re master the new release from the scratch.. Not only in terms of Hardware and Software.. but Mandriva also focus to provide the best possible eye candy to its distro.. With latest wallpaper, theme, Log In/Off Scree, Boot Splash.. As a result of the above Mandriva proudly released their spanking new gun in town i.e Mandriva 2008.1 .. Loaded with vicious features like Latest Hardware / Software Support, Revamped Artwork, New Installer, Xclusive Mandriva applications and much more..

[BREAK=The Derivatives]

The Derivatives

Mandriva Linux has been split into different branches.. Each edition focus on different user and comes with a total new look and different set of tools and different set of tools.. But the base of all the different version remains the same..Mandriva comes in four different version .. Out of which 2 are commercial release and other two are Free software libre..

Mandriva Linux One : - Mandriava Linux One is a Live CD version from Mandriva stable.. Being a Live you can use it without installing it on to your system. The best of Mandriva One is that despite being a single CD version it comes with a lot of useful software.. Backed by the ultra stable DrakX11 you will hardly experience some Boot Crash or Live CD Errors..Developers have added plethora of video and hardware drivers in One edition so that you will not face any problem with the Live Setup of the OS..With the inclusion of latest nVIDIA Forceware 169.12 and ATI Radeon 8.471.. You will never face an issue with the live cd , the drivers are tweaked to provide 3D Composite effects out of the box..The One Edition comes in both KDE and Gnome flavour though you have to seperately download the ISO for a particular Desktop Manager in One Edition..

The developers has worked a lot in One Edition and their confidence can be seen at the Live Cd boot Splash . Unlike other Live/Install Media, One doesn't offer you multiple option .. There's only one option i.e Boot Through Live CD.. This is due the stable DrakX11 and VGA drivers provided by Developers..

On a quick note Mandriva emerged as a great Live Cd alternative and even a better desktop for Home usage . Since it comes with pre-installed VGA drivers, Drivers for Intel Wireless chipset and media codecs to play audio file like Ogg, MP3, AVI, WMA, MPEG 1, MPEG 2, and Quicktime files., it becomes easy for user to make a transition from Windows to Linux

..Apart from that it include Open Office 2.4 , Gimp 2.4.5, K3B 1.0.4 , Brasero [ Gnome ] , Transmission [ Gnome] , AbiWord 2.6 [Gnome], Firefox 2.0.0.13 , PulseAudio, Homebank [ Gnome] and many more..

Mandriva Linux Free : Mandriva Linux Free Edition is another Free alternative to Mandriva One.. Since it has Free as Suffix..Its stands upto its name .. It only ships Free and Open Source Software and drivers. No non free media plugin, no external video drivers , no Intel Wifi Drivers..That's why it sometimes failed to boot in some system..Like it did with my desktop .. It failed to open the Installation in my Desktop Computer..

Mandriva Free will give you the opportunity to select the Desktop Manager or multiple while Installation.. Mandriva Free comes with the comes with a dedicated installer, named DrakX, which is first used to install the distribution to the hard disk of the computer before it is run..

Mandriva Linux Free comes with a totally different artwork ... Pretty interesting.. Mandriva GFX designers have put in a lot of effort dressing their versions. .. The Free Edition comes in a single DVD or a 3 CD ISO set. So make your choice.. Since its pretty big in size it has an upper hand over The One edition in terms of bundled applications.. Mandriva 2008.1 Free edition comes with some exicting new and great tools that are not included in One [Due to small size] ..The applications listed above are common to all the version namely Firefox,Gimp, Open Office and other.. Some of the applications that are Xclusive of Free are FileZill FTP, Kphone, KmyMoney, Project Managment, KThesaurus,Kivivo, Scribus . K Games and Mandriva Documents ..

Mandriva PowerPack : Mandriva elite and commercial offering.. PowerPack is now the Mandriva's only commercial offering on Operating System front ..In Mandriva Linux 2008, the Discovery and Powerpack+ editions have been merged into Powerpack, which will become Mandriva's only commercial offering. Users will be able to choose between a novice-friendly Discovery-like setup or an installation process and desktop aimed at power users..Being a Paid version you have to get a copy of Power Pack edition from Mandriva store . That will cost you neatly 70 Euros depending upon the pack you are buying..

Powerpack is the best way to help Mandriva developers.. not only help you will get a really stable and rocking desktop at your end..Bundled with commercial applications like Cedega , Fluendo Media Codecs and more.. LinDVD a great burning tool has been removed from Spring edition due to some license issue..Mandriva Flash : Mandriva set the trend by delivering OS on a Flash drive..

Mandriva Flash is a pre-installed Mandriva Linux distribution on a 4GB USB key. The user can choose how much space is used for system files and how much is reserved for user files. Runs faster than Live Cd .. A pretty handy tool if you are on the move and need a OS without any installation hassel. .Just plug and play ...

Mandriva One KDE is the distro that I choose for reviewing ..It provides a mirror reflection of the Power Pack Edition and the Free Edition , as it consisits all the drivers , multimedia codecs and pretty useful utilities :)..

[BREAK=Booting & Installation]

The 1'st Impression

Booting & Installation

I was tempting to get my hands on the newer Mandriva Spring from the date it was released .. and to my surprise all the Magazine here in India included Mandriva 2008.1 as their distro of the Month.. Finally I got the Mandriva 2008.1 One KDE Edition courtesy Digit.. After that I got the Magz I look no further and without wasting any more time I burned the DVD.. Next day I popped up the Media and was greeted with the spanking new Boot Screen .. My friend sitting beside my computer glared at it, like he hasn't seen such an artwork.. After that it keeps on booting the system.. I was surprised that the Live Cd took only seconds to boot through the configuration screen.. Mandriva lets you configure you network , choose your keyboard layout, language , set/disable effects before you loads into your Live Desktop..

After configuring I was shunned by the cool Log In sound .. Though the sound is same as the one that comes in 2008.0 but still I love it.. After that I was greeted with Mandriva Introduction Screen that will educate about Mandriva and its derivatives.. The Live CD of Mandriva was pretty fast in term of booting.. I was very impressed that it actually load the desktop in few minutes ;)

The Default Desktop consist 7 Icons .. Out of them 2 of them are aimed to promote Mandriva .. One icon will lead you to Mandriva Club so that you can join it and the other suggest you upgrade to Power Pack Edition. Some people have problem that Mandriva put those icon promoting their commercial version but its ok with me. Every One has the right to promote their things :) So if you don't like just trash those Icons..

After lurking around a bit I fired the Installer .. You can install it as the Install Icon is present at the default desktop.. The Install shield hasn't gone through a major overhaul and that's a nice thing as the Installer is very easy and quite compact..

The Installer as usual is superb , it went like a breeze .. 3-4 Steps only and bingo you installed an OS.. My friend was stunned to see the GUI partitioning tool during Installation.. He abruptly said.. WoW its way better than Windows partitioning tool.. Well the installation ended in 6.8 minutes and he was baffled to see that an Os installation ended in mere 7 minutes..Few more seconds were spent on later configuration grub and after that I did a restart..

The Installer and the Live Cd has gone through major Overhaul.. I noticed that their Country and Language Support has increased drastically.. Unlike the previous version ,Mandriva 2008.1 now has India on their country list not even this , while setting up Internet connection it will allow you to choose your ISP from India ... Though there is no mentioned name under that option. But seems like it will be done in the next release.

The grub now detects your Windows Vista and other Linux Installation [if present] and will automatically add the entry to your Menu.lst.

So far so good lets take a deep look into the application and the core system of Mandriva Spring ;)

[BREAK=Tools & Applications]

Tools & Applications

Mandriva developers has added the best possible application in every version of the Spring Edition ..From Web Browser to Media Player to Graphics Editing you will get everything .. The number/variety of software and codecs depends on the version you choose for yourself.. Like One Spring Edition has less software when compared Free edition.. Its pretty obvious because of the lower size of One Edition...

Linux Kernel : - 2008 Spring includes the latest version of the Linux kernel, 2.6.24 , with notable Mandriva patches including ALSA 1.0.16 and several other updated or additional drivers for various types of hardware. This ensures Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring will be compatible with the widest possible range of hardware. Mandriva kernel 2.6.24 kernel provides:
  1. AppArmor integration
  2. Xen DomU support by default in kernel-server flavor
  3. Many additional ALSA fixes from upstream ALSA branch
  4. out of the box Asus Eee PC support, notably in the asus-laptop module
Software Managment & Update System : Mandriva Linux uses a package manager called urpmi, which functions as a wrapper to the RPM package management system.There's a RpmDrake a GUI tool backed by URPMI which will easily let you install and remove application just after adding repositories..Adding repositories in Mandriva is child's play.. Just after you boot into your computer a nifty utility know as Mandriva Online will open a Pop Up and will ask you to add the repositories and the official Main, Contrib, and Non-Free repositories will be added to media manager when you answer yes to the dialog which appear the first time you click on Mandriva online.. Mandriva Online is a tool that will keep you alert about system errors and will keep you update through system updates..

The Mandriva software management tools have undergone extensive improvements for Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring. Most significantly, an entirely new system of managing information about the packages in the Mandriva repositories improves your ability to access this information. Extended information about packages has been split into several separate extra information files for each repository, and the package management tools now have the ability to download this extra information on demand. The overall performance and user interface has been changed..

Internet Applications : Mandriva 2008.1 provides the latest and stable Frefox 2.0.0.13 to meet the surfing need of people without any hassel.. Though Opera users can install Opera from the Add/Remove program..

Mandriva also comes with Konqueror which is a Universal Document viewr.. Which works as a Web Browser, File Manager, Image Viewer, and many more. With the addition of Konqueror 3.5.9 you get a cutting edge multipurpose Document Viewer that will not only satisfy your day to day need but also comes with plethora of customization option to ease the working experience..

Mandriva include Kopete 0.12.7, thdefault Im Client so that you can easily chat with your relatives .. Not only chat but Kopete is a Multi Protocol Internet Messenger.. This means that you can access multiple ID's at the same time in a single Instant Messenger.. unlike in Windows you have to use separate Im for your different accounts.. Kopete even support Audio/Video chat.. The interface of Kopete is very simple and will remind you of MSN Messanger..

Mandriva even thinks about your downloading needs as it includes Kget 0.8.5 which will help you download files quickly and conveniently .. The bad thing is that Mandriva 2008.1 One KDE edition doesn't comes with a Torrent client by default. I was pretty shocked to notice that the default ktorrent wasn't present there.. Though you can install it via Add/Remove programs but a Torrent Client by default is must..

Few More applications that can come handy ..
  1. Akeragator : - Rss Feed reader
  2. Kmail : Internet Mail Client for Sending and Recieveing Mails.
  3. Knet Attach : Network Folder Attachment Utility.
  4. Knews Ticker : An e-News Ticker Applet.
  5. Knode : internet News Reader
  6. Kontact : PIM . Stores and Manages Personal Information and Digital Diaries.
  7. VNC : A utility help you configure your Virtual Networks.
  8. Bluetooth : Bluetooth Manager .. Sync,Surf, Send Files via Bluetooth ..
  9. Tight VNC : A Terminal based VN configurator.
  10. Ekiga Softphone : A Internet Dialing Softphone..
The Free Edition comes with some additional software namely Filezilla FTP, Kopete,Konversation, Kphone, Ktorrent ..

Office & Productivity Suites : Mandriva Spring Edition comes with OpenOffice Productivity Software.. Open Office is the best Free Productivity suite .. Mandriva includes the latest stable version of Ooo i.e 2.4 .. The Open Office Suite consist of Word Processor , SpreadSheet, Presentation, and Drawing .. Mandriva One edition doesn't include Open Office Math which is quite good software..

You can easily create/edit documents, spreadsheets,presentations/slides, flow charts etc with the help of Open Office.. The Gnome version of One edition comes with Abi Word Process 2.6 .. Mandriva also incudes Kwirte Notpad.

Apart from that Mandriva 2008.1 comes with kpdf which will read pdf files , there's another pdf view known as Kghost View .. Kghost view even read Post Scripts not only this it display, saves, and print pdf and Post Script Files..

Mandriva includes Kaddress Book which will automatically transfer the address and other information saved in Kontact.. Mandriva has even packed the Office section with a Personal Organizer that lets you easily organize you Date schedule..

The Gnome version comes with an additional software known as Homebank.. Extra tools/software that comes with Free Edition are Kmymonye, Project Managment, Kthesaurus,Kivivo, Scribus : A Desktop Publishing software & a free pdf creator.

Graphics & Editing : The only segment that comes with a few software.. Mandriva has added the best Free Image Editor Gimp 2.4.5 for Image Editing. Gimp is an advance Image editor that will let you create new images, edit photos and many other things..

For photo Management and Organizer digiKam is included.. DigiKam is a very advance and easy to use Photo Manager.. that will easily manage you photo from you Hard Disk , Portable Media and from other source..Though Konqueror can work as your Image viewer ,Mandriva has included Show Photo as the default photo viewer..

Mandriva could have added better Image viewer like Gnview and Fspot.. The Free Edition comes with Gnview and the above listed.. No other Image processing utils like Inkscape or Blender.. ..

Sound & Multimedia : Mandriva always pleased its user on the Multimedia front ..Amarok is the Audio player to play and organize your audio collection. You will really love Amarok as your media player ..

Codeina has been added to provide you an easier way to install Audio Codec not only Free but it even allow you to shop Commercial Fluendo codecs.. Kaffeine is the Xine backend Media/Video player .. Its the default KDE video player.. Mandriva has even added Totem Video Player..

I was pretty shocked to see it.. Since the KDE version comes with Xine Plugin by default including Totem didn't make sense as Totem is a Gstreamer backend player not only this they have made Totem as the default Video Player , and if you try to play Video files it won't play , from here Codeina comes into play.. As soon as you play Video in Totem Codeina will open and ask you to download/buy Codec depending on the file you are playing. That's pretty bad. I just don't get the mentality if developers has added Xine plugin what the use of adding Totem..Mandriva sure looking commercial here by promoting Fluendo codec..

But since they have include Xine plugins for Ogg, MP3, AVI, WMA, MPEG 1, MPEG 2, and Quicktime files. All you need is to change the Association.. To do this Open KDE Control Center -> KDE Components -> File Association and change the default audio player to Amarok and Video player to Kaffiene..

Apart from that Mandriva 2008.1 include Pulse Audio Sound Server .PulseAudio is the default sound server for Mandriva 2008.1, because it simplifies the usage of sound peripherals easier and efficiently. Mandriva One also include Tv Time a Tv viewing software with basic interface no fancy thing here Those with multiple sound devices will appreciate PulseAudio's ability to move sound streams from one device to another - even on-the-fly. It's also easy to designate a single device as the default and have all applications respect this - something that was difficult without PulseAudio.It also allow your sound device to work on a different machine.. Integration of Pulse Audio in Mandriva is way better than Ubuntu..Mandriva comes with all the Ppulse Audio configuration software that are not available in Ubuntu..

Few other notable application are : --
  1. Cd Ripper : - Audio CD Creator and Cd Ripper.
  2. KSCd : - A Cd player for you KDE desktop..
  3. TransKode : - Audio trans coding tool ..
Plugins :-- Mandriva comes with the Xine plugin which will play nearly all types except Real Media and few more. .The formats supported out of the box are Ogg, MP3, AVI, WMA, MPEG 1, MPEG 2, and Quicktime .. The Firefox on Mandriva Linux ONE edition comes with Adobe Flash player pre-installed but it still lack a Java browser plugin. Unfortunately there is no Sun Java plugin for Firefox in the official repository.

You can enable addition media and plugins from the PLF Repositories available at easyurpmi..Mandriva doesn't come with Sun Java so you have to install it !

Tools & Applications : Mandriva comes with all the essential KDE tools and few other important tools.. But the best of 'em is the Mandriva Control Center ..Mandriva CC (drakconf) has always been the trump card of Mandriva Linux. .. Loaded with all the tools to set up your computer it is the one stop for you to fix errors, update your computer , add/remove media, enable/disable 3d effects.. and many more..

In this release Mandriva has added 2 new software in their Portal .. Mandriva is the 1'st Linux to deliver Parental Control (drakegaurd), it restrict the kids to surf net, parents can block sites and it will restrict the net usage for a specific period of time .. So before you enable it make sure you added your name under approved user.. Mandriva One doesn't come with all the dependencies of Parental Control ..So you need to install them.. Until and unless it won't work.. Though you do nothing as soon as you try to enable Parental Control the wizard will ask your to download few plugins for it to work.. So all you need is to download few plugins..

Another new addition is the Snapshots.. Snapshot is a clean yet easy tool,which will allow you to take backup of your system with ease.. Mandriva also has a tool in the MCC which provide easier migration from the Windows platform to Mandriva Linux. While installing it on My Mom's laptop it detected all the Folders and Files on Windows Vista Home Premium and prompted to migrate them to Mandriva..

List of some tools that are included in the Spring Release : --
  1. Ark : Power Archiving Tool for KDE
  2. Compiz Manager 0.72 : One stop for Compiz Plugins..Enables and Disables plugins.
  3. Online Dictionary.
  4. K3B 1.04 : K3b is a power Burning software for KDE.. K3b comes with intutive interface making it easy for users to burn CD's and DVD's..

1. Kalarm : Alarm Schedular for KDE
  2. Kover : A CD/DVD Cover creation software.
  3. Screen Magnifier, and other KDE utilities..
3D Effects : - Mandriva One come with Compiz Fusion 0.72 pre-installed..You can enable Compiz Fusion from the Mandriva Control Center.. The default installation did not include all the plugins so you have to install it .. But still The default compiz comes with more plugins than Ubuntu..

Mandriva also comes with Metisse another 3d desktop manager. Its is very good manager and its very good that Mandriva always include Metisse. Metisse allows users to rotate, bend, zoom, flip, warp, topple, and arrange their windows in different configurations. The aim is to help users become more efficient.Here is my CCSM with all the plugins installed..

[BREAK=Hardware & Design]

Hardware & Design

Mandriva know for excellent hardware support stands upto its name even in this Spring release.. All the latest Graphics card from Nvidia Geforce 8XXX ,Ati HD 3XXX series are fully supported.. People using nVIDIA newly released 9XXX series will not have any problem using Mandriva 2008.1 as you will get update for your driver just after you will the media .

Note : Mandriva 2008.1 Spring edition comes with nice support for Acer User, spring edition comes with third-party acer_acpi and wmi-acer modules which will please Acer user :)

NVIDIA driver update I refer above isn't an update to the NVIDIA driver. It's the exact same version as came with the initial release. It's just that when developers update the kernel, they have to update all external kernel modules (like the NVIDIA driver) at the same time.
The update is just to make sure it works with the new kernel, it doesn't actually change anything.

So for now, 2008 Spring doesn't have a version of the proprietary driver that supports 9300 and 9600 chips
. The current beta version of the proprietary driver does support these chips and they have it in Cooker, but they don't want to issue it as a backport for 2008 Spring, they prefer to only backport stable releases, not betas. These chips will *work* in 2008 Spring, but they use the free nv driver, not the proprietary nvidia driver, so of course there's no 3D acceleration.

Mandriva has a very complete graphics card database and should detect just about any card and automatically use the correct driver.Mandriva even has great support for VIA chipset and VIA graphics so if you are wondering that will Mandriva support you old VIA then have no fear .. Mandriva fas full support of Via VGA..

Since Mandriva 2008 Spring Edition comes with pre-installed Vga and Wifi Chipset drivers including the recent 4965 chips , you won't have any problem setting up your Intel Wireless Adapters ..Even Broadcom Wireless adapters works in Mandriva Linux.. They are suppported via Broadcom bcm43xx drivers which are available on the Official Repositories for download..Popular WiFi firmwares which are available in the Non-Free repository are the Intel Pro Wireless, Intel Wireless WiFi link, RaLink (rt61, rt73, etc), Zydas, and Atheros chipsets.If somehow your chip doesn't work you can use the bundled nDiswrapper to set it up.Mandriva network configuration tools make the task of getting the Broadcom firmware as easy as legally possible. A major new feature is also introduced to the network configuration tools: support for WPA-EAP, the advanced authentication protocol often used in larger, sophisticated Wi-Fi installations.

The Installation detected my friends
HD 3870 and configured it to work perfectly , not only this he can access the 3D Desktop without any problem.. Thanks to ATI improved driver support for Linux..

After installation, desktop came up with native 1152X864@75Hz.
Portable Hard Drive or Flash drive gets mounted automatically and a pop up windows appear asking you to take necessary steps ..There is a nifty utility in the system that will let you easily change resolution ..2008 Spring includes ALSA 1.0.16, with several post-release fixes taken from Alsa HG. The Mandriva kernel also has some modifications to improve support for certain chips. Especially test recent model laptops, many of which use the High Definition Audio codec family.

There's a significant battery boost by using Mandriva on my Mom's laptop.I get more 25 mins backup even more over Vista. People using Gnome and Fluxbox will get even better battery life .. note these timing are noted with full compiz fusion on.

Mandriva come with huge list of Printer software and support just plugin you Printer and the printerdrake or the Printer Setup Wizard will open up and will ask you to setup your printer in simple and easy step..
Setting printer in Linux is even easier than Windows .. no need to install driver . For many models you don't have to set anything at all manually, the entire setup is automated.

Synchorinizing your phones can't be some much easier..Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring features much improved support for mobile device synchronization. All major synchronization tools, frameworks and front ends are packaged and integrated so that you can synchronize Windows Mobile 5 and 6, Blackberry and many Nokia devices with KDE or GNOME simply and easily.

Mandriva even configured my Multimedia keys, I can easiy use them to make computing easy and faster. .

Design & Artwork : - Mandriva 2008.1 Spring Edition come in a total new avatar.. With the revamped artwork , Mandriva Spring looks stunning.. The developers and designers have put in a lot of effort to dress up the desktop.. The Artwork on the One edition has evolved for the earlier Helical structures of DNA to Fingers like projection releasing cube like particles..

New and improved Screen Saver

While theFree edition comes with simple Light Blue look with Penguine performing a diving splash at the bootom right of the corner.. Keeping this artwork as a base other Log In/Logg Off, Boot Splash screen has been designed..

The Log In/Off windows has been totally changed . With new transparent look it looks more professional and beautiful.. After you log in the Ksplash will mesmerised you.. In the One edition the Ksplash is so designed that it resembles like the finger like projection are releasing Cube like particles and in Free edition the penguines keeps on diving . Its sure is cool.. The Gnome Splash is not as pronounced as Ksplash..

The default 'La Ora' theme haven't goes through much changes apart from the Windows Border to suite the new range of wallpapers.The One sport Dark Blueish Border while the Free edition comes with Light Blue,...

Mandriva uses the default KDE 3.x Icon theme i.e the Crystal Icon.. I guess Mandriva could have added a better looking set as I personally doesn't like Crystal Icon theme..

Mandriva by default comes with KDE Main Menu but do provide options for the user, to change the Menu style to a more pro. looking 'Kick Off' Menu.. Just right click the Mandriva Menu logo and select “Switch to Kick Off†and you will get a cool looking menu with proper categories to distinguish application . Not like windows trashing each and everything under All Programs :p

Mandriva even has changed the Menu Logo to a more sophesticated capsule shaped Star Menu..

[BREAK=Conclusion]

Conclusion

Mandriva has always been the best User Friendly Linux OS and the 2008.1 Spring addtion proved it right. By adding new and smarter tool . Mandriva surely is the distro look for .. Not only for Linux newbies but also for professinal users.. Mandriva excellls in software and hardware detection.. Even the artwork and eye candy is of top notch.. But depite all these Mandriva is not as popular as Ubuntu .Mandriva has been losing popularity mainly because of its commercial approach and low online documents. Even it did not include Mandriva Document in the One edition. While you can find it in the free edition..Apart from the Website of Mandriva is pretty complex and hapaphazard.. Finding information is hectic job.. Mandriva Club “now free†proves to be a a great spot for users around the globe.. One community front you will get your problem solved ..In the End I would say if you want to try out Linux Mandriva 2008.1 should be he One you should look for..

Pros :
  • User Friendly
  • Outstanding UI and Artwork.
  • Out of the box multimedia an 3D desktop support.
  • Great set of applications even in One edition.
  • Out of the Box VGA and Wifi Drivers.
  • Great Package Manager and Software Manager
  • Parental Control and Snapshots.
  • Mandriva Control Center.
  • Kick Off Menu .
Cons : -
  • Slow Boot/Shutdown Speed.
  • Totem as default Video Player.
  • Commercial Approach of the company.
  • Complex Web Site Infrastructure..
Mandriva 2008.1 despite of few Cons stand out to be the best OS for your desktop.. Mandriva community provide regular updates of software and system core files.. I would like to rate Mandriva on the following .
  • Booting & Installation : 4.5 / 5
  • Graphics & Eyecandy : 4.5 / 5
  • Software Managment : 4.5 / 5
  • Support & Documents : 4 / 5
  • Hardware Support : 4.5 / 5
  • Peroformance and Stability : 4 /5
  • Overall : 4.33 / 5
Te%20Rating45.png
Ratings4.5.png

Keep the comments & Suggestions coming :)

Regards Darky :)

Dark Star said:
Since I don't have Raid setup I was unable to answer. So I confirmed this with my friends .. It *should* work automatically.Set up the RAID in the NVIDIA utility, then run the Mandriva installer, choose 'manual partitioning', and see if it detects the array correctly.
Dude its bombed!!

its not even starting up i beleive.. it gets stuck at initialization part.. i mean to say.. after selecting install mandrake .. it takes up a minute to load few things and then it says " FATAL ERROR on INITIALIZATION" and sends termination signals.. i did dig into kernel messages.. they were prompting to I/O errors mainly.. may be it is something to do with RAID 0 i believe.. let me tell u that.. i am trying to setup mandrake on an existing RAID array and not on some other disk and nor it is being installed on fresh RAID 0 setup..

So can you dig this deep and let me know where i am going wrong.. FYI: I have searched through all possibles information on net with regard to my problem.. but no one seems to have this kind of setup though.. even if they have.. the hardware might differ from mine.. and mainly nobody in the mandrakeusers.org have noticed such kind of error during the beginning of the installation.. (Loading Programs to memory..., right when it is 50% it dies.. with I/O errors.. (refering to media error and bad sector blah blah blah))..

I have been an avid Linux OS user for the initial part of my career but not now.. i have lost the touch so to say.. but your review is what which made me try this distro out.. well as the things turned out.. I should have never tried it in the first place as it makes me feel LAME in the Open Source WORLD!! :)

Thanks in advance!!
Jay

^^You are using Free edition DVD? if Yes please read the review again. It has less drivers as its Free .SO better use One edition. Ihad the same problem with Free eidtion.. fatal Error during initialization but the On ed. worked perfectly ::::| ALso its Mandriva not Mandrake anymore :p

Try this if you intend to use the Free ed..

Code:
noapic nolapic acpi=off

Dark Star said:
^^You are using Free edition DVD? if Yes please read the review again. It has less drivers as its Free .SO better use One edition. Ihad the same problem with Free eidtion.. fatal Error during initialization but the On ed. worked perfectly ::::| ALso its Mandriva not Mandrake anymore :p

Try this if you intend to use the Free ed..

Code:
noapic nolapic acpi=off

Exactly, when to type in the command man.. little more info on this would be helpfull..my question may be noobish.. but yeah i am no more an avid user ;)

cheers,
Jay

So you have used the Free Edition DVD ? If yes please try the One Edition.. Apart from that Press F4 at Boot Menu and type the Command and the end of line :)

Dark Star said:
So you have used the Free Edition DVD ? If yes please try the One Edition.. Apart from that Press F4 at Boot Menu and type the Command and the end of line :)

The command you mentioned didn't do a thing for me.. as you said .. I was using Free edition DVD.. so i have to download the One edition and give it a try.. anyway.. why wouldn't the free edition install on my system properly is a mystery.. Some of the people in net pointed out to having written the DVD in high speed .. which could have caused the bad media error.. so for the sake of it i am gonna rewrite the dvd with minimum available speed.. FYI: I dont have the free 32bit edition anymore.. I deleted the same after writing it to the DVD.. so downloading the different version of free edition now(x86 x64 bit torrent).. so lets see whats in store.. if this too fails .. I will surely download ONE edition and try out the same.. Tell me if I am doing anything wrong by downloading the 64bit free edition?

cheers,
Jay

A really nice review, Kudo's and congrats.........:hap2: I also found Mandriva very easy to use too...but I am not as big a fan a you are.

Er.. why don't you guys get the point.. I am no distro fan check my previous Mandriva review.. if you guys think that I am Mandriva fan that you are sadly mistaken..I am no distro fan .. Check my previous review..

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-a...362-gars2.html | http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-a...362-gars3.html

You might notice that I have given Ubuntu Gutsy maximum point because it deserves it .. Not Mandriva that time.. But Mandriva developers has the turned the table again.. and if you still think I am a distro fan then I can't do anything ...

[Not for PP] Apart from that people stick to a particular distro and didn't wanna try others.. So its not my fault if you are accustomed to one distroo.. [/Not for PP]

Hi dark Star,

I am afraid I will bother you one more time.. I did download and install 64bit version of mandriva and everything went as smooth as an ice.. although.. when i rebooted the system after the installation.. The GRUB bootloader is no where to be seen.. as i mentioned u earlier.. I am running on RAID 0 with vista and xp in dual boot.. so is there anything to be addressed to setup bootloader properly? and i did mention the RAID array MBR as the partition to setup bootloader.. i really have no idea why it is failing..

Look forward to your inputs on this...

Thanks in advance!!

cheers,

Jay

Hello to everyone,

No offense to anybody and Dark star in particular...

I did try out all possible steps to get things running on my RAID 0 Setup and the Bottom Line is " The setup FAILS BIGTIME ", before somebody calls me a whiner I will put forth the truth in front of you,

After installing the Free DVD x64 version.. the bootloader was missing and i couldnt get to boot Mandriva... so i tried to rescue the system by rewriting the bootloader once again but in vain.. it did not work either.. so finally i thought i would install all over again and this time select my 500GB harddrive MBR as the partition to write GRUB into.. and i did the same.. after this i was able to see GRUB loading up prior to windows boot loader and finally i was smiling at the prospects.. but when i chose to enter into mandriva.. it started booting up and got stuck at the point where it gave loads of error related to "media error on hda" and then nothing happened but a lame line saying "Bootup Failed". well i gave up and said to myself that I am gonna delete the linux partition and keep my winxp/vista dual boot alive.. when i actually tried to login to windows there was no option to login to winxp, it was directly booting to win vista.. but this is not all my men.. I was horrified to see one of my main drives getting vanished in win vista.. (Vista asked me to reformat the drive since it is raw and has lost all the data). I said to myself that its not big deal and reformatted it.. I was ok with loosing some entertainment data... not personal though. after this I rebooted the system and tried to rewrite the windows bootloader by using rescue operation from mandriva dvd and i was sucessfully able to rewrite it.. once after this i was able to see both winxp and win vista at startup.. I entered into vista and tried to delete the linux partition.. and this is where all hell broke loose on me.. I lost all my drives except WinVista and Winxp drives.. they were gone in a second.. i was really agitated at this point in time and still getting over it..

RAID 0 600GB STRIPE

30 GB WINXP Drive

50 GB WINVISTA Drive

50 GB MANDRIVA Drive (The one which was to be deleted and on deleting the same the other following drives just vanished)

100 GB Program Files Data Drive

and Two more drives for entertainment and stuff...

I am really not trying to put blame on anybody or anything but trying to prove that, Mandriva cannot work on RAID 0 Setup eventually will end screwing your system for no Good. So based on my findings, my suggestion for all those aspiring RAID 0 setup holders on the verge of installing mandriva on a RAID Partition.. "PLEASE DONT DO IT, ITS NOT WORTH THE RISK and WILL DEFINITELY NOT WORK"

PS: Dark Star: I should have listened to you man.. I should have downloaded the ONE edition.. anyway I took chance against my will and the results are in front of me..

and I think its time for me to try out ONE edition now, what do you guys think ;P

cheers,

Jay

Excellent review..me too got curious to try it...when i boot it shows the login pompt...not the desktop screen..Also it didn't ask for any settings..How do i login?i tried by typing root...I don't know other commands..plz help...

^^Log In prompt. What Source you are using CD?DVD ? Also please boot in Safe Graphcal Mode.. if that doesn't happens type startx in the login prompt :)

Dark Star said:
^^Log In prompt. What Source you are using CD?DVD ? Also please boot in Safe Graphcal Mode.. if that doesn't happens type startx in the login prompt :)

Hi darky,
tks for your prompt response....Am using CD...It doesn't have any option except the boot option..also tried that startX it did show the desktop but its very slow..using it on rig pentium4 2.66ghz with 512MB RAM....Downloaded the mandriva one edition...Also in verbose mode i saw some errors being reported...

Dark Star said:
What errors.. Also in the boot meny try pressing F4 then in the line add apci=off nolapic
I will try to post the errors..How do i try to save the errors?Is there any option?Again thanks for your prompt response...:)

Dark Star said:
^^Copy it down or take a snap :p
i know i could take snap...i meant is there any command to copy the errors in notepad?neways i tried what u said it seems bit okay with that kernel option...Also darky please suggest a distro for my old h/w which i plan to resurrect.rig-Pentium3 1.2ghz,RAM 192MB.. I didn't want to start a thread thats why thought of psoting it here...Here's what i got the search results for linux distro for old h/w=
Vector linux
Wolvix
PclinuxOS tinyME
zenwalk
Slax
puppy
Damnsmalllinux
Maybe you could suggest...Please suggest distro which is bit easy to use considering am a noob...drivers reconginsed for all my h/w,all applications preinstalled for daily use...
Easy installation of applications,reliable,stable...

Back