All OS Low display PPI on the iPhone XR

Just got to play around with the XR for a while and you really cant tell that its a lower PPI screen for sure.

Ditto same vibe when I saw it in hand couple of weeks back. It does feel enough crisp and corners are done very nicely for LCD panel.

I think this topic is overblown. Does anyone really need FHD on a phone screen ?!?

imagine how much better battery would be if it was HD instead of 2k and more

See, the problem has always been quality of the screen. But everybody harps on about specs.

A good screen is more expensive than some higher PPI[DOUBLEPOST=1542916221][/DOUBLEPOST]
factory unlocked and carrier unlocked

Same thing ?

Has to be unlocked before using here

I don't even know what locked means. Everything sold here is not locked
Phones in USA typically come locked to a carrier(sprint/tmobile/.verizon/at&t) and people buy them mostly in carrier stores or carrier kiosks at places like walmart/bestbuy etc. So if you want to sell it to someone else, you need to carrier unlock the phone by paying the carrier "unlocking fee" of 30$ or so. Once you unlock it, you can put any sim and use it.

Infact, till 2016, only 12% of total phones sold in USA were "factory unlocked". Thats why even though oneplus launched in US many years ago, it can be still bought only online and not in carrier stores. Thats why it has been a niche device in US market. Thats changing with oneplus 6T because its being sold in verizon stores now.

Factory unlocked means phones dont come locked to any carrier and you can only buy these phones online directly from manufacturer (like apple/google) or on amazon etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1542946116][/DOUBLEPOST]
Isn't 1080p FHD?

There's nothing sensible about apple and pricing of the latest phones. iphone Xr can't play 1080p videos on youtube . that alone is a deal breaker for me.

One question.

How do you get the network to watch 1080p on Cellular.

I barely manage 720p on Airtel.

I guess i was being rhetorical there. We've yet to see any sort of locking in India

No. 1080p is more than enough.
FHD is 1080p

When i say does anyone really need FHD on a phone i'm implying 720p or there abouts is enough.

Which is what the XR has but some people find that low a spec of a screen unacceptable for the asking price of the XR[DOUBLEPOST=1542978462][/DOUBLEPOST]
One question.

How do you get the network to watch 1080p on Cellular.

I barely manage 720p on Airtel.
why would you want 1080p, more data, more load = less battery left.

If its 60fps thats available with 720p

Only time i want a max rersolution video is if i want to screen shot something

4k means an 8MP image
FHD is ~2MP
HD is 0.7MP

better image quality crop with high res video and this assumes the camera used in the video was good enough to allow for that

Last edited:
Infact, till 2016, only 12% of total phones sold in USA were "factory unlocked". Thats why even though oneplus launched in US many years ago, it can be still bought only online and not in carrier stores. Thats why it has been a niche device in US market. Thats changing with oneplus 6T because its being sold in verizon stores now.
One innovative aspect of oneplus is they have one variant for the entire world when it comes to the modem. That's doing one better than Apple which has two variants (i think). Rest of the world and US. The earlier oneplus would not work on Verizon i think, it worked everywhere else.

Compare that with the koreans and its crazy how they release a variant per carrier in some places. There are three variants for LG or samsung of the same phone just for Korea alone.

Back