Budget 31-40k Looking for a new gaming rig?

dejavu619

Disciple
Budget: 40,000

Hardware I will be keeping from my existing rig:

Benq FP531 (1024x768) monitor

Hardware components I am looking to buy:

CPU
GPU
Motherboard
1 TB HDD
8GB RAM
Case
PSU

I stay in Bangalore but I'm open to buying components online as long as I get a good price.

I do not want to buy second-hand and my intended purpose is to play games, browse internet, watch movies and download files. The games I'm looking to play are Assassin's Creed Unity, Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V and upcoming titles for at least two years.

I will overclock only if absolutely necessary, otherwise I will keep things in their default state. The OS I'm planning to install is Windows 7 (64 bit).

I was considering the following build but if there are any recommendations, I am open to them:

Intel i5-4440 CPU
GTX 960 (2 GB) GPU
Intel DH87MC Motherboard
Transcend 8GBx1 RAM
Seagate 1 TB HDD
iBall Case and PSU

The above build is costing me Rs. 43466 as of now (including VAT 5.5%)

A big no to two things;

Transcend RAM - Please get some other brand like Corsair, Kingston, G-Skill
iBall PSU - Dunn skimp on PSU. Get a better one like Seasonic S12 II 520w for your build.

Which ones? Could you please be specific? The shop guy is suggesting Transcend

Will those fit in my budget? Are they costlier?

PSU will be costing you approx 5,000; RAMs will be approx 3,500-3800. You can get single stick of 8GB if its turning out cheaper.

Reason for avoiding Transcend is virtually non-existing after sales service. Also change hard disk to Western Digital Blue 1TB, as Western Digital has much better after sales service compared to Seagate.

With mentioned processor and motherboard you will not be able to overclock. For overclocking you need to have k series processor from Intel. With same processor, you will be good with any B85 chipset motherboard instead of H87; like Asus B85M-G R2.0. This should save you couple of thousand bucks.

PSU will be costing you approx 5,000; RAMs will be approx 3,500-3800. You can get single stick of 8GB if its turning out cheaper.

Reason for avoiding Transcend is virtually non-existing after sales service. Also change hard disk to Western Digital Blue 1TB, as Western Digital has much better after sales service compared to Seagate.

With mentioned processor and motherboard you will not be able to overclock. For overclocking you need to have k series processor from Intel. With same processor, you will be good with any B85 chipset motherboard instead of H87; like Asus B85M-G R2.0. This should save you couple of thousand bucks.

If I have an H87 motherboard and buy an Intel k processor in the future, will I be able to overclock?

Intel Core i5 4440 -11500,
MSI H97 PC Mate -6500,
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -3300,
Asus Strix GTX960 2GB OC -15000,
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB HDD -4000,
Antec VP500PC -3300,
Zebronics SPY II -1000.
TOTAL -44,600.

Intel Core i5 4440 -11500,
MSI H97 PC Mate -6500,
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -3300,
Asus Strix GTX960 2GB OC -15000,
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB HDD -4000,
Antec VP500PC -3300,
Zebronics SPY II -1000.
TOTAL -44,600.

Thanks for your reply. Are these prices net of VAT? Where can II find an i5-4440 for 11,500?

If I have an H87 motherboard and buy an Intel k processor in the future, will I be able to overclock?

Hi @dejavu619,

For a gaming rig in this budget, then you go with the bssunilreddy configuration.

In my thought, the future proof rig has the latest CPU and the new MOBO with the latest technology. For most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to gain the upper limit velocity as per game or usage demands.

In short, for future proofing, your main focus on the CPU and MOBO.

Just a suggestion, based on your budget; the normal CPU like Intel i5 k series and MOBO with Z97 chipset overclocked will fulfill your requirements.

Hi @dejavu619,

For a gaming rig in this budget, then you go with the bssunilreddy configuration.

In my thought, the future proof rig has the latest CPU and the new MOBO with the latest technology. For most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to gain the upper limit velocity as per game or usage demands.

In short, for future proofing, your main focus on the CPU and MOBO.

Just a suggestion, based on your budget; the normal CPU like Intel i5 k series and MOBO with Z97 chipset overclocked will fulfill your requirements.

Sunil's configuration is decent but I won't get any components at those prices online. I checked Flipkart and other e-tailers... No luck

Also, do I have to get a different PSU or will a cabinet with inbuilt SMPS (450W) do? my computer shop guy says it will suffice.. any thoughts?

Also, do I have to get a different PSU or will a cabinet with inbuilt SMPS (450W) do? my computer shop guy says it will suffice.. any thoughts?
your computer shop guy is bs'ing you.
skimping on the psu to save 1-2k puts your whole system at risk.
I'd recommend seasonic too. my s12 is the oldest and only part that i've carried over from my prior pc (running oc'ed gpus in both).
also, the gtx 960 is known to oc well so you'll want that clean power to fully tap that gpu.

to overclock the cpu you will need a k series unlocked cpu, a z series board and a decent cpu cooler. these 3 will cost ~35k alone. (you will def. need a high quality psu for this setup)
i5 4440 on an asus b85 board (or h97 if budget allows) would be my suggestion.

i should point out that an i5 + gtx 960 is a bit excessive for 1024x768.
if possible, try to save up about 8k for a 1080p monitor in the future. you'll love it :)

The problem as of now is that if I go for an i5-4440 and GTX 960 combination, I'm ending up cutting costs on the motherboard and PSU, both of which happen to be very important. What I can do is go for decent motherboard and PSU now by downgrading the CPU to an i3-4160 processor. So my rig will look something like this:

i3-4160 processor
GTX 960
8GB RAM
1 TB HDD
Asus Z97 PC Mate motherboard (earlier I was thinking of B85 or H81 chipset motherboard but Z97 is decent from what I've heard)
Antec VP500PC PSU
Zebronics SPY II cabinet

Later, I can upgrade the processor to an i5.

Does this plan make sense? Another headache is convincing the shop guy that a case with inbuilt SMPS isn't good lol

Overclocking not going to help you drastically in game performance; might be 2-5 fps here and there. Getting a Z97 motherboard now so that you can upgrade to k series processor after couple of years in not a good/wise idea. After that much duration, processor which fits for the socket may or may not be available. Also it is very much possible that there are better options for amount of money you can spend then. I would strongly suggest, stick to B85 or H81 chipset with i5. Basically buy what you need at present. If you are going to upgrade to k series processor within 6 months, once you have more cash, then only getting a Z97 board makes sense.

Coming to PSU, dunn skimp on it. If needed buy cabinet from somewhere else, in case current shopkeeper not ready to sell cabinet without PSU. Also you dunn need to convince him, just straight forward state that need XYZ.

Overclocking not going to help you drastically in game performance; might be 2-5 fps here and there. Getting a Z97 motherboard now so that you can upgrade to k series processor after couple of years in not a good/wise idea. After that much duration, processor which fits for the socket may or may not be available. Also it is very much possible that there are better options for amount of money you can spend then. I would strongly suggest, stick to B85 or H81 chipset with i5. Basically buy what you need at present. If you are going to upgrade to k series processor within 6 months, once you have more cash, then only getting a Z97 board makes sense.

Coming to PSU, dunn skimp on it. If needed buy cabinet from somewhere else, in case current shopkeeper not ready to sell cabinet without PSU. Also you dunn need to convince him, just straight forward state that need XYZ.

Which H81 chip motherboard would you suggest? Asus H81M-CS or Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1?

Also what do you think of the H97 chipset motherboard that bssunilreddy suggested?

Back