Car & Bike Looking for a good helmet (Bangalore)

Mohit

Skilled
Finally I will be getting my bike next week. I was looking for a good helmet for it. I have never used a helmet before as it was not compulsory at my native place. I think AGV is the best brand out there if I am not wrong. I am basically looking for something comfortable and durable for long city rides mostly.

Please suggest which series from AGV should I consider and the approximate prices of the same. If you can also tell me where to buy them in Bangalore, it will be of great help :) as I am new here.

So here is what I exactly need,

My bike: Yamaha RX135 (5 Speed)

Budget: 2-2.5k (I hope this is enough)

Purpose: Mostly for city biking

Also give details about the warranty and different sizes and all. AGV does not have any official distributor/retailer in India it seems :ashamed:

for me nearest one is at kanakpura road near banshankri...saw some cool helmets there never checked out the brands though...metro is a place where shoppers shop and its german so they should keep good brands there...yah if ya can come this sunday or saturday evening then i can go with ya :)

^^Oh ok. Metro requires a card and all I think. You have it? We can go together then :D

By the way, I stay very near to Forum and I don't know much about Bangalore.

go to silk board cross from forum there take right towards jp nagar keep following that road (ask anyone for direction for kanakpura road or banshankri) when you reach banshankri ask anyone for metro :) i would pm ya my number :)

Hey sry 4 jumping into yur thread but i also want helmet which will suite my R15........budget 3 to 3.5 k.......plz suggest.....

There are plenty of helmet shops Lal bagh main road,near urvashi theater.

They stock AGV(mfd by MPA)GPR and GP1.Try to bargain a bit.

There is one big helmet store on that road called balaji traders(can't remember the name properly)He has some really good stuff,but,the shop owner is v.annoying

hemi said:
There are plenty of helmet shops Lal bagh main road,near urvashi theater.
They stock AGV(mfd by MPA)GPR and GP1.Try to bargain a bit.
There is one big store helmet store on that road called balaji traders(can't remember the name properly)He has some really good stuff,but,the shop owner is v.annoying

Exactly my experience. Good collection. Owner is damn annoying. You need to bargain a lot!!

He doesnt stock AGVs. I wanted AGV and he was insisting I buy a GPR. In the end I bought an AGV but I would have been better off buying a GPR.

one big problem with helmets is the wiser

try searching for helmets with good wiser clams, once they become lose ull have a tough time!

^^Can somebody give me the official link to the GPR website? And which series from AGV or GPR should I buy?

@Nikhil

Which series did you buy and for how much? Any warranty?

Please PM Bikey and Sunny.

Sunny has an AGV which looks very similar to mine(onbly difference is I have a dark visor and he has a clear one). The quality on his helmet is so much more superior to the one I have. I got a lemon. Or a fake.

It's so pathetic.

btw, mohit get a helmet with clear visor and also a sun glass. So that in the dark you ride with your visor closed without any trouble. Just my opinion. (i can't ride with the visor opened for a long time :lol:)

Even with a clear visor, you cant ride comfortable in the dark. I had an old helmet and for that I specially bought a clear visor so I could use the clear visor when it was dark.

Problem is, the glare from oncoming headlights creates stars on the visor. It is not clear at all.

My personal opinion.

Mohit -
Old guy, same old gibberish/rant.
Read it here>
http://www.techenclave.com/general-talk/buying-new-helmet-tips-req-79442.html

salluks said:
one big problem with helmets is the wiser
try searching for helmets with good wiser clams, once they become lose ull have a tough time!
VISOR. :)
wiser now?? :p
Saiyan said:
btw, mohit get a helmet with clear visor and also a sun glass. So that in the dark you ride with your visor closed without any trouble. Just my opinion. (i can't ride with the visor opened for a long time :lol:)
+100. :p
A dark or even tinted visor can obscure so many objects in a dark/dimly lit area.
You can miss a bend in an unfamiliar area.
And at times, even big vehicles parked on the shoulder of a road can be almost invisible. :no:
Epecially when at decent speeds and the FOV is small.

There was a very mild brownish-yellowish tinted, anti-reflective visor in Bieffe and AGV that i really liked- very rarely seen locally i have heard. :(
Most "too cool" dudes like to hide their **** face behind the dark glass. :p

Nikhil said:
Even with a clear visor, you cant ride comfortable in the dark. I had an old helmet and for that I specially bought a clear visor so I could use the clear visor when it was dark.
Problem is, the glare from oncoming headlights creates stars on the visor. It is not clear at all.
My personal opinion.
Stars on the AGV??
Either quality has gone down or fake. :(
I didn't even have an issue with the flat visor on the Vega Streehawk. :p
And Bieffe, AGV and MPA used curved, anti-reflective ones to even eliminate any possile optical aberrations.
If some other cheapo brand, and u bought the visor from some local shop, those are made with cheap materials and not ocularly correct (forgetting the right word :ashamed: ).
And Indian helmets bearing ISI mark is no gurantee of quality in India- afterall we are in India. :p
The ones that used to adhere to norms pretty ok were MPA, Vega and the steelbird Bieffe ones- but in the higher price range.

Nikhil said:
Bikey, the clear visor was some local one. Vega.
But my AGV sucks. Ask Sunny. The quality is so bad, it's shocking.
Sheesh- really sad to hear that.
What all is bad- if you have the time to post.
Will help everyone a lot if you and bunnysoi can do a comparo between his helmets and yours. :)
Vega has lot of fakes (and maybe mostly fakes) since quite some years now or quality has dropped too much.
Marked differences between Vega helmets bought at 2 different places by 2 pals some years back. :(
And most replacement visors sold locally are fakes. :mad:
Seems like i better drop the idea of getting one locally- i think i will have to coax some friend to get me a helmet and some replacement parts from the US. :eek:hyeah:

Back