Laptops Little known bargains - Used enterprise laptops

greenhorn

Patron
I had always seen folks posting used business class laptops on olx and facebook selling groups, but had been too weary to take the plunge. I had an inspiron which i was reasonably happy with. When it died, I ended up buying another entry level inspiron for 42K, and I was in for a world of disappointment. I swore never to buy a new cheap laptop again.
Fast forward to a year later, I ended up abroad for work, and let my wife take the inspiron at home. I was looking for a new one. At work, i was given an hp elitebook 840, which despite my strong dislike for HP, impressed me pretty well. it was a sturdy, sexy beast. I started looking for a used piece. Ended up getting one for pretty cheap for 160USD ( I can see examples for around 20K in india, which is still a decent deal)
PLYKnk2.jpg

It was in pretty decent shape, had an i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard disk no webcam and a worn out keyboard.
I upgraded the keyboard to a backlit one for 20$, added another 4GB stick (20$), added the webcam board for 10$, and I am waiting for an ssd cache for another 20 USD. All these are available on ebay global for even cheaper ( I ordered from US sellers because i wanted them fast). This is a much better machine than my 42k inspiron.

Anyone else here running these corporate beasts?

Last edited:
We still have 2 probooks (2nd/3rd gen i3) in our office. The older ones are great, the newer ones, not so much or maybe the Indian variant sucks.

We decided to standardise on Dell, initially bought Vostros which are ok, but moved to Latitudes, which are a notch better. I am considering getting refurbs.

Coming to your need for laptop parts - look around, you get them locally, no need to get from abroad except for maybe the SSD cache. We have a decent source here in Mumbai, sure you can get the same in Delhi and BLR.

Have the same piece of $hite given by office in ZBook form (i5/8GB/256GB PCI-E SSD/Firepro something) and it is a horrible laptop to say the least.

I think the corporate bloat also adds to the crappiness if your experience is based on your office laptops. The office one that I have, despite the identical configuration is not that great - it has a hard time playing even 480p youtube without stuttering. Also, for a 1 Lakh laptop, they arent that great value, but as a 15-20K laptop, they are awesome!
PS: mine is the older one (G1)

have the elitebook 840, love it to bits :)

had been a dell fan but the elitebook is just a class apart - zero hassles for 2 years now and my comparison is dell latitudes. had been a latitude fan and had latitudes in the house but the elitebook is a notch above in terms of overall use and zero issues.
wife continues to be a latitude fan however the elitebook is just better.

Branded computers use chips and ic made by Samsung hynix and few other.
So I suggest you turn to google and check it out. Please educate your self than being spoonfed.

Branded computers use chips and ic made by Samsung hynix and few other.
So I suggest you turn to google and check it out. Please educate your self than being spoonfed.
That is the problem, you've not educated me to anything other than you're a distributor.

I remain unconvinced of vivek's assertion that 'indian stuff has lower QC'

Tell that to samsung & LG who make in India. Which begs the question why aren't the laptop people following.

Which companies laptops are made in India

What else mr.distributor

i still remain unconvinced

He has a feeling that indian stuff might be lower grade. so that in itself means nothing.

I have been using ThinkPad T430s since last 3 years. i5 , 8 GB ram , 320 GB HDD (later on I upgraded to Evo 256GB SSD). Running rock solid with decent Battery backup.
I got this for only 100$ from states. Cozin got deal from fry's warehouse.

If i buy a dell xps in India the assertion that it would have inferior components to xps sold abroad is bunk.

It might not be as well spec'd which is a different argument. Some regions get different builds.

Inspirons are low end dell, ymmv

That is the problem, you've not educated me to anything other than you're a distributor.

I remain unconvinced of vivek's assertion that 'indian stuff has lower QC'

Tell that to samsung & LG who make in India. Which begs the question why aren't the laptop people following.

Which companies laptops are made in India

Its just a feeling.

Sony VAIO -

5 samples - 2 of mine, 4 friends. All use regularly. Indian one - plastic broken etc. USA - no such issue. Friends - Singapore and UK still good condition. Indian ones - one dead other power IC failure.

Back