Lifetime validity on prepaid mobile plans and deactivation

Yep.

As for LTV - I doubt they (AVOID) will change their stance. BSNL/MTNL might still be on the old path, but lets see...
We should wait and see whether Airtel has any LTV plans left in the new year. They have placed their notification in the newspaper linked earlier in advance i think.

Wait and see.

got msgs. in my idea / airtel nos. though the numbers are secondary but with sufficient amount in main balance, and kept redundant. above all, they do not have any validity recharges. soon porting all my nos. to bsnl, where rs. 36 is for 180 days validity recharge available.

Crappy offers from Idea.
01_com.ideacellular.myidea.png 02_com.ideacellular.myidea.png 03_com.ideacellular.myidea.png 04_com.ideacellular.myidea.png

Why would anyone want to recharge for 1k /5k? BSNL is non existent in my area. One option is switch to Jio now. Other option is to deactivate the number but I'm using it for whatsapp, etc.

If Airtel and Vodafone-Idea combine removed the plans together, can we file a case of anti competitive practices with the CCI? Of course, they have been hiking all their plans and etc together, but this is on a whole new level...

I think AVOID have started making customers hate them now.

Airtel, Vodafone Idea Prepaid Users Baffled as They Receive Outgoing and Incoming Voice Calling Expiry Notice

In order to push unlimited prepaid plans, top telcos- Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Idea seem to have taken yet another major step. After removing the talk time plans, telcos are now barring outgoing and incoming calling facility on prepaid numbers. According to the information we have, Airtel and Vodafone Idea started restricting its users from making outgoing voice calls without an unlimited prepaid pack.

According to the information we have, users will not be able to make outgoing voice calls starting from the 15th day after the expiry of ‘Unlimited Combo Pack.’ Yes, we’re referring to the unlimited plans here which include Rs 199, Rs 209, Rs 249, Rs 399 and so on. While the outgoing calling will be stopped on the 15th day, incoming voice calls will be stopped on the 30th day. Having said that, here’s the actual twist: you won’t be able to make unlimited voice calls even if you’ve Rs 10,000 talk time balance in your account. All telcos need is you to perform an unlimited pack recharge.

India dumps the second SIM with a vengeance, 60 mn numbers set to be history

Last edited:
I am using jio for all my outgoing traffic and as a backup where jio network wont be there i have airtel prepaid sim. Also i opted for airtel as backup just because they have good tie up with networks abroad so international roaming works in many countries (suitable for me). I could at least get incoming sms there.

In two years i have recharged this airtel sim for only 20rs that too year back probably. And have used up 6rs balance from it for verification smses of bank and wallet apps. So still have 14 rs remaining in it. This number is anyway active due to incoming spam sms and bank transaction sms. There has been not outgoing call from this number for 2 years.

But considering new mandatory monthly recharge demands, i am gonna just port out this airtel prepaid to bsnl.

I dont understand why AVI companies are neglecting income from low arpu users from inter-connection charges whatever small it may be? When people port out at large they are gonna lose that revenue also (for some months at-least till these interconnetion charges are made zero).

Also i think TRAI is a puppet of these telco's only. This same TRAI supported and agreed chortel and cartel to come up with FUP, saying that its good for the industry.

Another point is, jio allows incoming calls even without any recharges for months (atleast till now). Which wont be case for AVI from now.

IMHO, best way to straighten up big companies in capitalist system is just to boycott them. Remember days when Airtel was planning to charge voip calls when whatsaap voice calls were launched? With nation wide outcry, they had to recall the decision.....

Same should happen now. And forcing people to recharge separately with extra money (not from account balance also) is literally day light robbery/ ransom. People should file petition about changing these terms.

Last one..... while porting out number, there must be provision to carry over remaining balance to next service provider or get refund. People have lost hell lot of money (including me) when rcom and aircel went kaput. And same problem is gonna arise if AVI doesnt allow recharges from account balance. There are people having thousands of balance in prepaid accounts.

Last edited:
I am forced to be with Idea, as it's around 2k as a main balance.. they do not allow doing recharges from main balance, unlike bsnl.. either i have to be with idea and recharge every 28 days or i should forget my 2k.

I am forced to be with Idea, as it's around 2k as a main balance.. they do not allow doing recharges from main balance, unlike bsnl.. either i have to be with idea and recharge every 28 days or i should forget my 2k.

Don't they give a cheque for unused amount when u port out?

Don't they give a cheque for unused amount when u port out?

Nope. Only when company stops operations, they are expected to refund the amount and that also doesn't happen in India. RCom raised hands when they were asked by trai to refund people's money. And issue is still pending or forgotten / given up.

I am using jio for all my outgoing traffic and as a backup where jio network wont be there i have airtel prepaid sim. Also i opted for airtel as backup just because they have good tie up with networks abroad so international roaming works in many countries (suitable for me). I could at least get incoming sms there.

In two years i have recharged this airtel sim for only 20rs that too year back probably. And have used up 6rs balance from it for verification smses of bank and wallet apps. So still have 14 rs remaining in it. This number is anyway active due to incoming spam sms and bank transaction sms. There has been not outgoing call from this number for 2 years.

But considering new mandatory monthly recharge demands, i am gonna just port out this airtel prepaid to bsnl.

I dont understand why AVI companies are neglecting income from low arpu users from inter-connection charges whatever small it may be? When people port out at large they are gonna lose that revenue also (for some months at-least till these interconnetion charges are made zero).

Also i think TRAI is a puppet of these telco's only. This same TRAI supported and agreed chortel and cartel to come up with FUP, saying that its good for the industry.

Another point is, jio allows incoming calls even without any recharges for months (atleast till now). Which wont be case for AVI from now.

IMHO, best way to straighten up big companies in capitalist system is just to boycott them. Remember days when Airtel was planning to charge voip calls when whatsaap voice calls were launched? With nation wise outcry, they had to recall the decision.....

Same should happen now. And forcing people to recharge separately with extra money (not from account balance also) is literally day light robbery/ ransom. People should file petition about changing these terms.

Last one..... while porting out number, there must be provision to carry over remaining balance to next service provider or get refund. People have lost hell lot of money (including me) when rcom and aircel went kaput. And same problem is gonna arise if AVI doesnt allow recharges from account balance. There are people having thousands of balance in prepaid accounts.

Airtel is actually the only viable alternative, since Vodafone does not have a good pan India presence. Internationally, I think Vodafone has an edge in some countries.

Why are they neglecting the interconnection charges? Because they have been lowered and will be abolished completely. Honestly, its a bad way to make money IMO.

Is TRAI getting funded by these companies? Yes? Then its akin to being a puppet. The earlier FUP and stuff, yes. However, here I doubt TRAI and more as a business sense. At the end of the day, ARPUs are shrinking because they are not able to compete. Basically forcing to recharge with 35 minimum.

I dont know about incoming calls, but I think they will allow incoming but not outgoing.

Good point. However, with a three legged race, with Jio, Vodafone-Idea and Airtel makes it difficult. BSNL is ok for calls only, but not otherwise I guess.

That account balance thing removal is 100% fraud. They had the option earlier and removing it (by both together) is nothing but collusion. I had suggested many people to move to this 458 plans from postpaid or rate cutters, and some of them had balance. The other group which still hangs on to postpaid (which is a steadily shrinking group) is surely high (I am not talking about corporate or those who need for business)

To my knowledge, when porting, they do refund the money. However, I ported from postpaid (Airtel) to prepaid (Jio) this April and I got a cheque (with the remaining amount) with wrong name for some 80 bucks which was not worth the run around. I will be porting back the same number from Jio to Airtel or Vodafone (the former mostly, as Jio has some issues in North India still and V-I sucks)

Nope. Only when company stops operations, they are expected to refund the amount and that also doesn't happen in India. RCom raised hands when they were asked by trai to refund people's money. And issue is still pending or forgotten / given up.

I doubt that as well. When stopping operations, it depends on how they have accounted this money. If shown as money spent and if they do not show any value for the talktime, then its akin to getting screwed.

Is TRAI getting funded by these companies? Yes? Then its akin to being a puppet. The earlier FUP and stuff, yes. However, here I doubt TRAI and more as a business sense. At the end of the day, ARPUs are shrinking because they are not able to compete. Basically forcing to recharge with 35 minimum.
TRAI is a govt regulator. Where is the question of being funded by these companies.

TRAI does have to get along with these people otherwise they will kill the industry.

The only reason I had 2 sims was for good data plans on prepaid and sometimes one of the sims would keep showing no signal or emergency calls only. Now since the Idea-Voda merger, both sims go out of service at same time sometimes, plans are not good anymore and I see no reason to keep 2 sims now. Might drop the Idea sim and put a 64GB sdcard in the hybrid slot. I'm searching what things I linked to the Idea sim and changing them to the Voda sim slowly and steadily.

TRAI is a govt regulator. Where is the question of being funded by these companies.

TRAI does have to get along with these people otherwise they will kill the industry.

Oh, I momentarily got confused TRAI with COAI. Well, your second point made it clear its collusion.

It's not collusion. The govt can't be all high & mighty. In the end its dependent on taxes so a modus vivendi has to be worked out.

State of revenue for indian operators is pretty bad right now.

Back