Budget 0-20k Last upgrade in 2011 so what is required now?

eskaydel

Disciple
Hi guys!

This forum helped me in my last upgrade five years back. Time to relook and see what to replace/refurbish/refresh.

This is what I have at the moment:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 @ 3.30GHz - Sandy Bridge
Mobo: Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 (Socket 1155)
RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 - 4096 MB × 2
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W
HDDs: 465GB Seagate ST3500418AS (SATA) + 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00DC0B0 (SATA) + 149GB Seagate ST3160211AS (SATA)
Cabinet: Cooler Master Elite 430 Normal
Monitor: DELL U2412M - No need to upgrade this
Optical Drive: LG DVD Writer
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech MK345 - absolutely new.

Basic work on this machine is graphics - Adobe and Corel family plus the usual stuff. No real complaints at the moment.

The budget is around 20K. Can stretch a wee bit.

Suggestions please.

I noticed you don't have an SSD, right? In that case I would highly suggest ONLY first try getting an SSD like Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB model - that will really make your system fly - if you make it your boot drive and install OS and few apps like Adobe/Corel on it :D Don't bother upgrading anything else - you won't notice much difference except maybe looking at numbers on benchmark programs.[DOUBLEPOST=1454764709][/DOUBLEPOST]You already have 8 GB RAM - you could also upgrade to 16 GB if you observe your apps are consuming most of the memory. But getting an SSD should be top priority.

You can upgrade to the following components... Rest of the components can be re-used

SSD:
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -8500,
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520w -4800,
Cabinet: Corsair SPEC-01 -3500.
TOTAL: 16,800.

Moving your frequently used programs and data to an SSD would result in better performance.Saw plextor M5 Pro in amazon lightning deals a few days back.

The CM Extreme Plus is a not so good power supply (noisy and lots of ripple), it is better to change it for a good unit like Seasonic S12-II 520.

Moving your frequently used programs and data to an SSD would result in better performance.Saw plextor M5 Pro in amazon lightning deals a few days back.

The CM Extreme Plus is a not so good power supply (noisy and lots of ripple), it is better to change it for a good unit like Seasonic S12-II 520.
Thanks, Bobby!

You can upgrade to the following components... Rest of the components can be re-used

SSD:
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -8500,
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520w -4800,
Cabinet: Corsair SPEC-01 -3500.
TOTAL: 16,800.

Why do you want him to upgrade his PSU and Cabinet for utterly no reason whatsoever? I can at best understand changing the PSU since CM Extreme Power series are not that great, but there is no reason to upgrade the cabinet if he going to continue with same components.

SSD is the only thing to upgrade and I would suggest going for a Samsung 850 Pro or Sandisk Extreme Pro rather than some mid range stuff.

My rig was also built in 2011 around the same Intel i5 2500k , Its a gaming rig, so I have upgraded storage and GPU in late 2014. This year, I plan to add more storage, but I will probably go the NAS route. Nothing else needs a change presently.

Back