Budget 31-40k Laptop vs Desktop for writing code 10 hours day

arnuld

Disciple
I have been using desktop computers since the beginning, when laptops where "thing of the riches" and even today when every college students carries a laptop than having a desktop. I understand it got lot of mobility. I am thinking of whether to build a new desktop or buy a laptop. There are few points: 1st, For the same price, you can build a better desktop than a laptop.

2nd, I am a programmer, I spend almost 15 hours a dat in front of my desktop. Writing code 5-6 hours a day, sometimes 10 hours, add to that browsing, reading, searching, PDFs, text files etc all time is spent mostly in Firefox. I watch HD videos on YouTube, related to software and sometimes an FHD movie. And I feel quite comfortable whole day in computer chair. I can do all this work very fast and quite efficiently.

Desktop does take a lot of space and has no portability/mobility. I am thinking of getting a laptop but I want to know if you have used both desktop and laptop and can do all of that I mentioned above with same level of comfort and speed and efficiency.

I also still use a desktop, though I don't game now a days.
Though I own a laptop, but I don't find using that comfortable enough - the posture, the keyboard, screen is too close to the keyboard etc etc.
I feel more comfortable typing in a discrete keyboard than a laptop keyboard. Plus the bigger screen (than a laptop)

For your case, if you work for 10+ hours, I would definitely recommend desktop. Or at least Laptop+ KB + extra Monitor combo, so that you can keep desktop like posture while working.

Laptop is only for mobility. Convenience is desktop. However, not sure about the young generation now as they are more used to laptops.

If you feel a laptop will do the trick, just borrow one from friends and try. For the posture/screen, you will need to get a laptop stand which is adjustable, but you will have a fair idea...

When I use my laptop regularly, I prefer it to the desktop, because it's portable, and easier to get comfortable with. But if I stop using it for a week or two, then I don't like going back to it because of the bigger monitor on my desktop. But if my laptop had a full HD screen, I wouldn't mind the smaller size so much.

It's not convenient to use a laptop with an external monitor, unless you also use an external keyboard and mouse, so I rarely plug it into my monitor.

Performance-wise they're both the same as the primary disk in both is an SSD and they both have the same amount of RAM. My desktop has more storage space though, but you can always use a NAS or an external USB3 HDD, or a HDD caddy in lieu of a DVD drive. I use Eclipse and IntelliJ on both, and they perform about the same.
My desktop has a tri-core AMD X3, and my laptop a quad-core AMD.

I prefer using the laptop because it's quiet and portable, but I don't use mine much because it's battery has worn out after 3 years, and lasts barely an hour now, and the screen sucks in comparison to my desktop. That said, the only way my desktop is better than the my laptop is that it can do surround sound, and can upgrade it's CPU and GPU.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose a laptop, as IMO it's cheaper, has better warranty support, is more versatile and doesn't need extras like a UPS/voltage stabilizer & a good quality PSU.

Grab a cheapo desktop, less price more features and truly posture comfort. Also no issues if anything goes wrong with any component in future. Replace easily without interruption and cheap + self replacement too!

I have had the chance to use desktop since 1998 & laptop since 2005.

Laptop has mobility, Desktop has everything else - performance, VFM, ability to change/expand existing HW.

For proper users Desktops make sense, like someone mentioned earlier laptop isn't comfortable - I'm typing this from my laptop using wireless KB/Mouse

I have been using a laptop as my main system for over 2 years now. At home I have a monitor and keyboard (I take the mouse with me most of the time) that I hook it up to when I get home. On the go I'm just working on it and at most have the charger and mouse with me.The main things to look for for comfort in a laptop is a screen with good viewing angles

The advantage of laptop over desktop is less power requirement. Coding isn't that power intensive unless your builds are massive.

If you don't have power issues then a desktop is best.

I have been using a laptop as my main system for over 2 years now. At home I have a monitor and keyboard (I take the mouse with me most of the time) that I hook it up to when I get home. On the go I'm just working on it and at most have the charger and mouse with me.The main things to look for for comfort in a laptop is a screen with good viewing angles
This will give you best of both worlds...

The advantage of laptop over desktop is less power requirement. Coding isn't that power intensive unless your builds are massive.

If you don't have power issues then a desktop is best.
Plus no hassles of electricity issues and investing in ups etc.
In fact now a day I'm thinking to buy a simple used laptop just for minimal tasks like web surf, shopping, office and similar light activities.
Powering up desktop for such tasks is like riding in bmw just to buy nearby groceries.

What you need is a powerful laptop and a big monitor. When you aren't mobile, connect to a monitor via HDMI and keyboard mouse and you have a desktop. The laptop screen can be a second monitor or you can close it.

Fortunately for you with new 8th gen quad core i5 Laptops, the systems are EXTREMELY powerful (16k on geekbench). So if you arent using a graphic card, this is the best solution for you.

Get an 8th gen laptop with 8gb ram on paytm starting at around 35k (Asus x507 after cashback) and add an m2 ssd for 2-3k (in addition to the hdd). And get a 22inch monitor for around 7.5-8.5k (during deals) and you are good to go. Reccomended 22in monitors - LG MP68, Hp 22es, HP 22w (1k cheaper was at 6999 yesterday on amazon deal. Rest go for 8kish on paytm after cashback)

This will be the best basic setup for you. Providing you best of both worlds.

I would go for desktop. They are cheaper, they are more like a good old standard and you anyway working/writing code here for 10 hours a day or even 15. I think I would just die in few month if I would do all of that on notebook. Have it as well and use it mostly for mobility thing, do something here or there, but non stop mind work - NO WAY!!! Gaming also not possible. Go for desktop

Back