Laptop not working after installing elementary os

evilwit

Disciple
Hello guys,
Actually today i tried to install elementary os 3 on my dell laptop.Previously my laptop had windows 10 in it.But I thought of trying something new but it all screwed up.Actually my laptop had two partitions that i can see when we visit on my computer. My laptop had windows installed on C and my data was on D.But when i downloaded eOS and tried to install it,it showed me there were many partitions.So i decided to delete the partitions except d.after that i created three more partition. One was"/",other was "/home" and the last one was "swap" one.and after these partitions were made and i clicked next,a pop up came up and directed me to create efi boot partition,so i created one of 70mbs.after i installed the os on "/" and after the download was completed it showed me to restart so i restarted and after that a screen came up showed minimal bash like editing is supported...after that i tried to boot into bios setup mode and boot options but i was unable to do that.now i am stuck on this screen.how can i solve this problem and how can i install eOS again. i have dell inspiron 15 2014 model.please help.

is it a "grub>" screen? can you run "help" command? if yes, then you can recover from there by running grub commands.

see... hd0,8 is partition 9 on first hard drive (hd0), you will have to specify the correct partition.
also you will need to execute 4 commands
grub>root=root_partition (e.g., root=(hd0,1))
grub>kernel=vmlinuz_path (e.g., kernel=(hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.xxx.x86_64)
grub>initrd=inird_path (e.g., initrd=(hd0,0)/boot/initrd.x.x.xxx.x86_64)
once you set the above values, you execute boot command and it will boot to.
grub>boot

while setting the the kernel and initrd, try pressing the tab key to auto-fill and also verify if the paths are correct. like kernel=(hd0,0)/<tab><tab>

refer to this https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/776643-how-to-rescue-a-non-booting-grub-2-on-linux/

see... hd0,8 is partition 9 on first hard drive (hd0), you will have to specify the correct partition.
also you will need to execute 4 commands
grub>root=root_partition (e.g., root=(hd0,1))
grub>kernel=vmlinuz_path (e.g., kernel=(hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.xxx.x86_64)
grub>initrd=inird_path (e.g., initrd=(hd0,0)/boot/initrd.x.x.xxx.x86_64)
once you set the above values, you execute boot command and it will boot to.
grub>boot

while setting the the kernel and initrd, try pressing the tab key to auto-fill and also verify if the paths are correct. like kernel=(hd0,0)/<tab><tab>

refer to this https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/776643-how-to-rescue-a-non-booting-grub-2-on-linux/
Thanks for the reply but there is a update which i should make you aware of.when the computer was showing minimal bash like....i managed to enter to boot menu by typing exit and changed uefi to legacy and now its showing gerror: file '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.
grub rescue>.so what should i do now.even now i cant access boot or bios options by any means (like pressing f2,f12,esc,del,f8).i want to ask you if i completely format my hdd by removing it from my laptop and connecting to other computer and then connect it back and perform a fresh install of eOS.is this possible?And whats the right way of partitioning the hdd and installing eOS? Please reply.

Last edited:
you could reinstall the os if its easier. just start with the boot disk. since you've already disabled the efi it should install without much issue. linux can be installed on a variety of file systems. all you need is a root partition. but some people create an extra partition for /home and one for swap. but they are actually optional.
I suggest you create two simple partitions, one root and other for swap. swap is usually 1.5 times the RAM. you dont need LVM etc...

you could reinstall the os if its easier. just start with the boot disk. since you've already disabled the efi it should install without much issue. linux can be installed on a variety of file systems. all you need is a root partition. but some people create an extra partition for /home and one for swap. but they are actually optional.
I suggest you create two simple partitions, one root and other for swap. swap is usually 1.5 times the RAM. you dont need LVM etc...
Thankz for the reply.i just wanna ask you one thing if remove the hdd from my laptop and externally attach it to another computer and format it completely and attach it back and then do a fresh installation of os.is this possible?i actually tried to remove the hdd and booted up my laptop without the hdd .and it just booted up and showed no operating system found.even in this case i cant boot into bios or boot menu.so what should i do?thanks

Why don't you install it on a USB stick and boot from it. You can then use gparted or something similar to properly partition your HDD

https://elementary.io/docs/installation#creating-an-installation-medium
The thing i cant get into boot menu or bios even if i press f2 and other keys.thats why i am asking can i format the drive and then connect it back and then do a fresh installation. As i booted the computer without hdd even then i cant access bios or boot menu

The thing i cant get into boot menu or bios even if i press f2 and other keys.thats why i am asking can i format the drive and then connect it back and then do a fresh installation. As i booted the computer without hdd even then i cant access bios or boot menu
I don't see any reason you can't do that. You will lose your data though. Connect to a different PC, format the disk, leave the disk as "unallocated" i.e don't create any file system on it, eOS installation process will do it later.
Make a big /, and swap partition. Thats good enough to get your started.

I don't see any reason you can't do that. You will lose your data though. Connect to a different PC, format the disk, leave the disk as "unallocated" i.e don't create any file system on it, eOS installation process will do it later.
Make a big /, and swap partition. Thats good enough to get your started.
Thanks for the reply mate.This is what I am thinking to do.But there is one issue and that is I cant boot into BIOS or boot menu.And I have also changed UEFI to legacy.So I am thinking of removing the CMOS battery and connect it back.I think this should reset the BIOS into its original settings that is in UEFI.So after the bios has been reset,drive has been formatted.Will I be able to access BIOS or boot menu and install whatever OS i want?

Last edited:
Back