Budget 21-30k Laptop for home use

@vyral_143 : OK with the SSD now (just saved some money unexpectedly).
I will buy the Samsung 850 128GB (budget constraint, I want to buy the simplest to migrate to SSD , Sammy seems to fit the bill).

Basic doubt: which caddy to buy? I will replace the DVD drive, completed all the installs, will use one of the ext HDDs for addl. storage. I want to keep the 1TB drive inside for storage (I need lots of it). So which caddy - 9.5 or 12.5mm? How does the install go - in the sense Samsung is giving software on CD/DVD, but I won't have any DVD drive to use it. How to go about it?

@vyral_143 : OK with the SSD now (just saved some money unexpectedly).
I will buy the Samsung 850 128GB (budget constraint, I want to buy the simplest to migrate to SSD , Sammy seems to fit the bill).

Basic doubt: which caddy to buy? I will replace the DVD drive, completed all the installs, will use one of the ext HDDs for addl. storage. I want to keep the 1TB drive inside for storage (I need lots of it). So which caddy - 9.5 or 12.5mm? How does the install go - in the sense Samsung is giving software on CD/DVD, but I won't have any DVD drive to use it. How to go about it?

I m not sure aboutcaddy size - 9.5mm or 12.5mm; but instincts say you would be well with 9.5mm. Do confirm this before buying. :(

When you want to clone content of HDD to SSD, I believe first you would need to install software came along with; which can be done when DVD Drive it still around. Once that's done you can just install caddy and go ahead with cloning. However in case where you would need that disc remains in DVD Drive, you would need casing to put 1TB HDD and to connect it via USB. Also another option, if possible, is to copy contents of disc to a USB Pen drive and using software from there.

Yeah, I too was thinking of installing first, or put it in a USB stick.

Problem seems to be the caddy - it is 9.5mm (Aliexpress is selling a few that are compatible with G50, all are 9.5mm) but, the face plate needs to have a curve. All those available on FK & Amazon have flat face plate.

Is the face plate of the DVD drive removable and can it be fixed to the caddy?

Do people here have any thoughts about glossy vs matte screens for laptop ?

i'm thinking glossy gives the best visibility but i find business class laptops do not offer gloss option some times.

I do not have direct experience with Glossy and Matte screens of laptops. But I have noted that if you apply matte screen protector to any device, visibility gets impacted. I feel like small granules have been introduced on screen.

@blr_p : I prefer matte mainly because it eliminates/diffuses reflection. That was the reason I was looking at Vostro/Latitude.

No doubt that colors on glossy screens are more prettier. But given my circumstances, the laptop would have no windows behind it, so went ahead with the G50. No regrets!

Most of the "business" laptops come with matte screens.

@vyral_143 : mini review is here: link.

Last edited:
@blr_p : I prefer matte mainly because it eliminates/diffuses reflection. That was the reason I was looking at Vostro/Latitude.

No doubt that colors on glossy screens are more prettier. But given my circumstances, the laptop would have no windows behind it, so went ahead with the G50. No regrets!

Most of the "business" laptops come with matte screens.
I like the business line because they are robust. But i don't understand why the option for gloss isn't even offered.

Think about tabs and mobiles, do they have matte screns, no, virtually all of them are gloss. Either IPS or amoled.

Even big screen tvs are IPS or LED. Older ones were TFT which are phased out. Even on monitors IPS is preferred. More expensive though.

What is holding things back in the laptop space, particularly the corporate line. I've had matte screens for ever but it does make me wonder whether i should consider glossy instead. Not if it reduces my choices only to the consumer line.

Agreed. There is a big boost build quality in the business segment. Not just laptops, any product that is aimed at enterprises is tested more, as if the retail customer is OK with lower quality. If you remember the magnesium roll cages etc., debuted in the ThinkPad (I prefer to call them TankPad) series.

I will definitely buy kiddo(s) a ThinkPad(s) or, similar built laptop(s) when she/they really need a portability.

But, many times the premium charged for the enterprise class seems a bit too much - a bit like the food premium charged in Rajdhani trains :)

I do remember seeing glossy screen as an option in some business series laptops. Will ping you, if I come across it, the next time.

Back