Is this MX spike Guard good ?

No.

For surge protection, get the Huntkey boxes. Little more expensive than the MX, but the switches on mine are still working after about 2000+cycles on the heaviest used ones. I haven't suffered any spikes yet so replacement is not necessary. It is recommended to replace the entire box after one trip, or move it into lighter service (where protection is optional).

The MX switches fail after about 300 cycles, and the sockets on some of their boxes don't take the UK plug properly. 2-pin connectors are almost always loose and the ground pin on US plugs don't make contact. The wire is usually 0.5mm, which is not enough for any kind of mild load. And the internal wire is soldered on, unlike the Huntkeys which have solid bus bars. MX was using the same system a few years ago, then switched to soldering for lower costs. We never solder mains connections because a dry joint can be fatal, and all solder joints will go dry in time.

Here's one: http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-HUNTKEY-...3?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item33878391b5, though the one I use has individual switches and has a spike protector (the one above doesn't, regardless of the description) is quite a good upgrade: http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Huntkey+Power+Strip+5+sockets(PZC504-2)_C4P11843.html

If all you need is distribution and you don't care about the aesthetics, locally made boxes work the best. The switches last thousands of cycles and the sockets wear very well, if you buy the good stuff that is.

No.

For surge protection, get the Huntkey boxes. Little more expensive than the MX, but the switches on mine are still working after about 2000+cycles on the heaviest used ones. I haven't suffered any spikes yet so replacement is not necessary. It is recommended to replace the entire box after one trip, or move it into lighter service (where protection is optional).

The MX switches fail after about 300 cycles, and the sockets on some of their boxes don't take the UK plug properly. 2-pin connectors are almost always loose and the ground pin on US plugs don't make contact. The wire is usually 0.5mm, which is not enough for any kind of mild load. And the internal wire is soldered on, unlike the Huntkeys which have solid bus bars. MX was using the same system a few years ago, then switched to soldering for lower costs. We never solder mains connections because a dry joint can be fatal, and all solder joints will go dry in time.

Here's one: http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-HUNTKEY-...3?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item33878391b5, though the one I use has individual switches and has a spike protector (the one above doesn't, regardless of the description) is quite a good upgrade: http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Huntkey Power Strip 5 sockets(PZC504-2)_C4P11843.html

If all you need is distribution and you don't care about the aesthetics, locally made boxes work the best. The switches last thousands of cycles and the sockets wear very well, if you buy the good stuff that is.

How would you rate the Belkin surge protectors compared to the Huntkey?

@cranky

I was of the presumption that MX is very good quality. I myself have 2 of them in my home, 5 sockets, individual switches with blue like transparent top. Now we don't really use the individual switches much so i cannot say anything about their wearing out. They were bought somewhere in start if January 2013.
But i do notice that the 2 pin Indian plug are not always firmly held by the socket, they are many a times loose.
As of now they are using a general extension board which they found in their home itself. They probably don't face spikes but you never know. The things which we expect to be connected to the spike board are, 32" LCD TV, Tata Sky Box, MTNL Modem/Router. On rare occasions, a laptop may be connected. But it would be super rare.
At a local electrical store, they showed him some not known company one, 6 sockets with individual switches for 450 Rs. Would you recommend buying that ?

Re Belkin, we only used one once, the most expensive one. The protection is excellent but the socket quality wasn't so great. I also have no idea of the internals.

Re no-name spike guards, remember you get what you pay for, usually. I use a few of the local ones, but I always open them and disconnect the protection networks because they are severely underrated and pose a fire risk on spikes. I use them as UPS extension boxes, since you should never connect a spike strip to a UPS.

Back