Graphic Cards Is my Dextop ready for Windows 10?

vikramranu

Recruit
I was studying Animation in 2009. By 1 year started doing freelance. So I needed a good dextop to start with. I had invested enough money to built a workstation class dextop which was D.I.Y. with a help from my techy class mate. Following are the specification :-
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @2.80GHz 2.79 GHz
Installed memory (RAM) - 18.0 GB
System type - 64- bit Operating System
Mother board - Gigabyte X58-UD5
Graphic Card - Nvidia quadrofx 1800
Operating system - Windows 7 (PIRATED)

One day it stopped working. I didnot care to rectify the problem and it was powerless for over 3 years. Till my friend had told me that it has a harddrive issue. Now that its working fine i want to get it genuine. I have following quetions :-

1. Will this configuration support Windows 10? And where to buy it ? And why is window 7 price is equal to windows 10 in amazo.in?
2. I have a Adobe Creative cloud subscription for 2 computers.(One for mac) Photoshop doesnt work in this pirated windows 7 and says to upgrade to Sp1.
3. I have been interested in "HTC Vive VR" and google's "Tilt brush" for quite a some time. And they say it requires minimum NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060. Is my graphic card enough to have a VR ready dextop?
4.Will Gigabyte X58-UD5 support Windows 10? I checked for it and didnt find any driver. If thats the case I dont mind Windows 7.
5. Should I just go with Linus? or any free OS instead. I just want my Adobe creative cloud to run Fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but creative cloud requires installing adobe products on the pc for it to work. Adobe does not support Linux OS at all. If your bread and butter depends on Adobe software buy a Mac or Windows pc. You can buy original windows 10 license from here or online stores for around 2-2.5k. You won't get the dvd's but will have to download the disk from Microsoft server.

Whether your pc supports windows 10 or you will have to find out the hard way. Backup your entire OS hdd with Acronis or other disk imaging software. Then get a copy of windows 10 and install it as a trial version. You could run it for a month i think. In that month, windows will search and install all the drivers if it finds and you can see if all the programs you want run in it without problems. If you come into problems, you could search google for the solutions. If everything runs fine without problems and you're happy with it, just buy a key and add it to your OS (in system settings) when Windows 10 starts crying about it.

Just a hint on how much Adobe does not care about Linux users: https://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/produce_creative_suite_for_linux
That post was made 6 years back in the age of Photoshop CS or something. More than enough time to produce a version for Linux if they wanted to by now.

Last edited:
You will need to use Windows or Mac as @6pack mentioned. I will skip the piracy part, as I condone piracy, but understand that buying original software is not an option for everyone.

You machine will be supported on Windows 10 as its not very old - AFAIK, Intel is not supporting SNB and older systems officially with W10 - you will need to find workarounds. You have a Quadro which I am pretty sure will have a W10 driver.

For VR, you will need a top of the line GPU which can handle rendering 2 separate monitors at 60 fps each @ 1080p. The Quadro wont even make a dent.

Linux wont cut it either.

Oh, and BTW its 'Desktop', not 'Dextop' :p[DOUBLEPOST=1474094053][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, as a user who is using Adobe CC Photoshop, I find lags with Windows 10 Anniversary Update. This is with an SSD, while some with a HDD too have complained. So you might want to stay on Windows 7 or 8.

You will need to use Windows or Mac as @6pack mentioned. I will skip the piracy part, as I condone piracy, but understand that buying original software is not an option for everyone.

You machine will be supported on Windows 10 as its not very old - AFAIK, Intel is not supporting SNB and older systems officially with W10 - you will need to find workarounds. You have a Quadro which I am pretty sure will have a W10 driver.

For VR, you will need a top of the line GPU which can handle rendering 2 separate monitors at 60 fps each @ 1080p. The Quadro wont even make a dent.

Linux wont cut it either.

Oh, and BTW its 'Desktop', not 'Dextop' :p[DOUBLEPOST=1474094053][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, as a user who is using Adobe CC Photoshop, I find lags with Windows 10 Anniversary Update. This is with an SSD, while some with a HDD too have complained. So you might want to stay on Windows 7 or 8.

I am on a core i7 860 and ATI HD7770 with 8 GB RAM. On windows 10, the cursor starts lagging if I am using lightroom and adobe after effects. I thought my hardware was not good enough. Good to know that I am not the only one

Correct me if I'm wrong, but creative cloud requires installing adobe products on the pc for it to work.
Yes, within the adobe creative cloud dropdown menu, they have options to download any application and update. But some application does not download because it required windows 7 to upgrade it to service pack 1(This in case you have a pirated Windows i.e. you cannot upgrade). I run all the application quite smooth on my mac book pro. I never had any problem. Its just that this windows desktop is lying in my home for a very long time. And if it can run few basic application, I can make use of it. I really want a genuine windows for the dextop because mac had taught me that how nice is to have every things original. I guess they have a nice ecosystem. Buying apps are so easy. I live in that part of india where if you go to computer vendor and ask for a genuine windows 7, they might sell you a fake one and give you guarantee that it will work. It tough to say "NO" to them.

Back