Is Hadoop a good career choice for 4 years experience software tester?

Hey Guys,

I am Piyush Garg and I live in Delhi. I have a total experience of 4 years in manual testing. I am working with a IT company in Noida. I have been trying to change from last one years but not receiving any calls regarding the job in software testing field. It makes me realize that saturation has come in software testing field and now there is no more jobs and scope available in this field.

I have came to know that Hadoop has appeared as the latest technology and is a very growing and future technology. I have learnt somewhat about Hadoop and found that there are actually three parts of it: Developer, Administrator and Data Analysis. Being in testing, I believe Hadoop Administration is best suited for me.

What do you guys think? Should I leave the software testing field and start learning Hadoop? Being a software tester, will I get jobs in Hadoop Administration? And most importantly, are there jobs in Hadoop in Delhi/NCR?

Please advice.

Thanks,
Piyush Garg

There will always be a new technology which becomes very much in demand until something new comes along and replaces it.

Even if you get trained in Hadoop, you will lack the relevant work experience and I am sure you do not want to move in as a fresher in a nascent field.

From my experience with Hadoop, these systems are not really administration heavy and require decent programming skills for performing many of the admin activities as well.

My advise would be to pick up programming skills in the software areas in which you are involved in testing and upgrade your skills from manual to automated testing, simulation models, performance testing etc.
You can then extend your programming skills and acquire skills in Hadoop or other platforms you want.

Thanks for your input and suggestions however I am not concerned here about the technology, I am more concerned about the jobs now and in future. I seriously doubt if there are jobs available in automation testing (Delhi/NCR).However jobs for hadoop are available in good numbers.

Also, I wont be going in hadoop as fresher. My company uses hadoop and I will be using it to show as 2 years experience (though I am not part of it). I just need to gain the knowledge of hadoop and apply for jobs.

I am confused like hell at the moment between automation testing and hadoop administration. I am just looking for something stable for which I do not need to worry after 5 years or so. This is something which I cannot discuss with my colleague even and when ever I talk about jobs in testing, all get agreed that there is saturation going on in this field. Is this the right path?

Back