Is Aadhar and mobile linking mandatory

^^ For mobile, the last date is still Feb 6th. It is the supreme court which mandated verification of all prepaid numbers and gave the govt 1 year time to complete it.
The court cases on which judgement is pending are in relation to linking of aadhar for banking and essential services.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...d-aadhaar-linking-deadline/article9985238.ece

Venugopal apprised the Bench, led by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, that the extension, however, does not include linking of mobile phones with Aadhaar. The deadline for this is February 6, 2018.

He said it would require a judicial order from the Supreme Court itself to extend the deadline to March 31. This is because the government is complying with a February 6, 2017, order of the Supreme Court in the Lok Niti Foundation case to tighten the verification process of mobile phone users through Aadhaar linkage, citing national security.

Ok, looks like the supreme court extended that deadline too since then. Its 31st March for mobile also. But don't expect any relief for mobile linking at least since its the supreme court that originally demanded it.

Last edited:
lol. its like the servers and api are in full view of people behind a glass door. i wonder how many people must have downloaded the entire database till now. guess even the uidai servers must be open access and anyone could compress all the data in parts and copy them out without anyone knowing anything.

They are already trying to cover it up by issuing a statement that it is fake and misreporting from Tribune. I have personally seem some local businesses advertising Aadhar services like phone number/address update and printing aadhar cards and they shouldn't have such ability without enrollment agent access.

In any case, I would trust any news paper in this country over UIDAI. They are habituated to lying and I have also had personal experience of their antics and indifference to problems experienced by people.[DOUBLEPOST=1515099656][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/na...reporting--read-how-that-is-wrong/523478.html

Last edited:
I am amused and baffled at the way they are trying to portray it as a minor data breach while BJP social media wing is spreading propaganda that its fake news even though an FIR as been registered by UIDAI.

If I understood right, unauthorized people were getting "enrollment agent" grade access control to the aadhar system. This makes perfect sense as that is what various authorized aadhar update/grievance redressal centers/ and enrollment centers also have. Basically If you want to setup a aadhar update/printing services this is exactly the kind of access that you would need. there is no doubt that that such illegal centers are sprouting up all over the place and we know how they are able to do it now. So what all can a unauthorized person do with it?

First of all, lets see what a normal citizen can do on the public aadhar website. We can download the e-aadhar containing all basic information. For that, we need to enter my Aadhar number, Name as per aadhar, Pin code and an OTP sent to the registered mobile number. We can also update my aadhar details, but I would still need access to the OTP sent to the registered mobile number. If there is no mobile member linked or I lose the registered mobile number, I cannot update any details myself and would have to go a aadhar center.

A person with "enrollment agent" grade authorization can look up any aadhar number and get all the details like name, date of birth, address, phone number, e-mail, bank account linked and family members linked and recursively all their information as well. They also have ability to update a phone number without against a aadhar number without any phone number or lost phone number. Technically, they can also enroll a new aadhar account if they have the corresponding biomentric hardware required. In fact, there was news of some unauthorized enrollment rackets running in some places sometime back.

That itself is a gold mine data and there would be a number of people ready to pay good money for it. This is also enough data and access for significant abuse.

So what do they even mean by "data is safe", do they mean to say that the data is still there in their data bases? I would not be surprised if they even think that the data would "disappear" when it gets "stolen".

I am assuming for everyone's sake that bio-metric data cannot be recovered. UIDAI deserves a trashing if they are even keeping the raw finger-print/iris scan data anywhere in the system. I suspect that they would just extract a feature set from the raw scans which is a one way transformation and store that only. Basically data of that sort should only be usable for matching against another sample.

I think it's time for the United Nations to take notice. It's starting to become an attack on human rights.

This is what George Orwell predicted in 1984. (The book, not the year)

Nah. maybe they think data is safe when they see the dabba servers inside office. If the servers get stolen only then they will think data is stolen. I doubt anyone would want to steal crappy servers though.

What sickens me is that some respectable and much read sites such as ET.com etc seem to be pushing the govt agenda with routine articles being published like "how Aadhaar is helping this" "how Aadhaar is doing that" even today there's another shitty article on how Aadhaar is instrumental in something or the other.

Funnily whenever there's a report against Aadhaar in general media, I find a rise in the articles which Tom Tom Aadhaar benefits.

ET also keeps publishing stupid articles like how Modi does this and how Modi is doing that... Least expected the Times Group owned media stream to be coming out like some state propaganda machinery which to me it appears is increasingly becoming one

What sickens me is that some respectable and much read sites such as ET.com etc seem to be pushing the govt agenda with routine articles being published like "how Aadhaar is helping this" "how Aadhaar is doing that" even today there's another shitty article on how Aadhaar is instrumental in something or the other.

Funnily whenever there's a report against Aadhaar in general media, I find a rise in the articles which Tom Tom Aadhaar benefits.

ET also keeps publishing stupid articles like how Modi does this and how Modi is doing that... Least expected the Times Group owned media stream to be coming out like some state propaganda machinery which to me it appears is increasingly becoming one

Bennett & Coleman (TOI, EconomicTimes, Indiatimes etc) have always been like a lackey of the current govt in power. They earn very well doing that, so I doubt they will change their business model in the future.

Yeah, I'm surprised you're expecting actual journalism from major outlet in India. The concept of journalism doesn't exist in this country, they don't give a rat's ass about the truth. Neither are they competent enough to find the truth. It's all about telling a comfortable story and making the buck. The whole country is happy to live on some fantasy and delusion, while ignoring the cold hard realities of how sorry a state this country is in. If you want actual journalism better try out the independent publishers like The Wire. I mean, most of them are not good either, but at least they are trying.

FIR lodged against the Tribune staff under Aadhar act and 420 sections for impersonation and gaining access to Aadhar data.

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...orter-over-aadhaar-data-breach-story-5014674/

I would not be very surprised if the people selling the access were related to somebody high up in UIDAI. Recently, it has been found that nay UIDAI employees are running side businesses involving aadhar related services.

In any case, this is a classic case of "Security through legality", Its a ploy used when the builder of a system knows that the system is not secure and all he can do is restrict information about the lack of security.

Electronic lock manufacturers already use it. After some exposures of electronic locks being easily hack-able, they put in legal language making it against their terms to meddle with the firmware and effectively making it illegal. So, if a security researcher wants to publish a paper showing how easy it is to tamper a certain lock, they would open themselves to law suits involving significant damages which would deter them from publishing it. Its not going to stop malicious person(s) from doing it, but a legitimate whistle blower would be prevented from sharing information which means that customers will keep buying the products in ignorance.

EVM security also involves the same process. security researchers or auditing firms are not allowed access to an EVM. if anybody gains access through alternative means, a criminal case would be registered to silence them. If somebody describes a method of breaching without access to the device, it would be declared invalid since the person does not have access to the device and hence cannot prove it.

Last edited:
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Alok Kumar confirmed that an FIR had been registered and an investigation launched. The FIR has been lodged with the Crime Branch’s cyber cell under IPC Sections 419 (punishment for cheating by impersonation), 420 (cheating), 468 (forgery) and 471 (using as genuine a forged document), as well Section 66 of the IT Act and Section 36/37 of the Aadhaar Act.

What the actual ....

Shut down the newspapers unless it's full of praise for government, especially Glorious Leader Modi.

Nice! So when do we get a link which shows how many mobile nos, bank accounts are linked on our aadhaar/pan/voters id? There's actually no way to know if any or all people's aadhaar cards are being misused :p

Some years ago, a guy on another forum pointed out that Aadhaar is not trustworthy at all and the government wants you to have aadhaar card. Now I'm seeing some conspiracy proved here

I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow we find out that rich & powerful people are able to obtain CBSE X & XII examination papers before the actual exam by paying a hefty amount

Last edited:
Shut down the newspapers unless it's full of praise for government, especially Glorious Leader Modi.
Modi, Sonia, Rahul whomever...

newspapers are dependant on ad revenues from the ruling govt. of the day otherwise they will close down

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/951154910569140225

mAadhar app encrypts its settings to a local file with password generated like this.

DTMsz_2W0AAEXNb.jpg:large

Back