Is Aadhar and mobile linking mandatory

"they were expected a "good judgment, maybe in July or August"
Wtf? So is the mandatory rule to link accounts in effect then? Or can we wait till the verdict?

"they were expected a "good judgment, maybe in July or August"
Wtf? So is the mandatory rule to link accounts in effect then? Or can we wait till the verdict?

yes, we have to wait till the final verdict is delivered.
in my opinion SC will restrict use of this (nir)aadhar card for subsidy purposes and will not scrap it completely.

http://www.india.com/business/aadha...ng-kyc-guidelines-what-should-you-do-3016168/

To link or not to link ? nothing doing until the SC comes out with a verdict

Why has the RBI got involved

https://www.thehindubusinessline.co...inking-cannot-be-mandated/article24007211.ece

it's like a turf battle, each one pushing their own agenda

“In our opinion, mandatory linkage of Aadhaar with savings bank account is not required as there is no clarity in the Banking Regulation Act,” a senior Law Ministry official told BusinessLine. He also said that the Finance Ministry and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) have been advised to consult the Solicitor-General, the country’s top law officer, besides waiting for the apex court verdict to make the next move.

RBI defers to the SC

Interestingly, on April 20, the RBI made changes in its master circular on KYC and made linking of Aadhaar to bank accounts mandatory as part of its updated ‘Know Your Customer (KYC)’ guidelines. However, it made it clear that this will be subject to the final decision of the Supreme Court in the Aadhaar matter.

But you do need to link pan & aadhar for income tax

Meanwhile, the official quoted above said that there are no problems in mandatory seeding of Aadhaar with the 10-digit PAN. “Necessary amendment has been made in the Income Tax Act which will facilitate this,” he said. Earlier, the Government set the deadline of March 31, 2018 for the linkage. However, on March 27, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) extended the time till June 30, 2018.

Last edited:
Good gracious. Asking because I haven't linked my account.
Update: dad was forced to link his Aadhaar when he went to get a new SIM. He lost his phone. His number was linked to important offices and sites so he had to get a new one ASAP.

The other side has this to say

RS Sharma’s tweet sharing his Aadhar number has generated quite a buzz but till now none of the naysayers has been able to come up with a credible proof on how his data can be misused.

If you do that you go to jail isn't it. Still, a proof of concept does not require execution.

Where are the clinchers that all can agree on ?

Last edited:

How do people this stupid get into these high positions? I wouldnt trust them to manage a nukkad panwala and they are running TRAI.

Just posting a challenge online to hackers is an open invitation to getting ****ed if you are well known person. Any sane adult should know that. It doesn't even matter how secure Adhar is or how secure you THINK it is. Once you throw that gauntlet down on a public domain, you're done.

How do people this stupid get into these high positions? I wouldnt trust them to manage a nukkad panwala and they are running TRAI.

Just posting a challenge online to hackers is an open invitation to getting ****ed if you are well known person. Any sane adult should know that. It doesn't even matter how secure Adhar is or how secure you THINK it is. Once you throw that gauntlet down on a public domain, you're done.

paanwaala, chaiwaala, pakodawaala all are the ones running things. the smart indians have already left the country. the smart and rich ones have taken citizenship of other countries.

Makes for the ultimate test then doesn't it. Only trouble is it isn't clear as yet whether he did get ****ed. That's not allowed. Limits of ethical hacking etc. Which then implies no smoke equals no fire. Which then means those arguing about freedom are a bunch of paranoids. The sense i'm getting is this TRAI chief is feeling quite smug right now. That's the curious part. Why nobody noticed this

What does TRAI have to do with aadhar :confused: and why is this guy sticking his head in there ??

As for how people get into these positions, that's easy. Showed sufficient drive & initiative. This isn't even a political topic for me, its about how govt like to track people and attendant consequences to privacy

Last edited:
Makes for the ultimate test then doesn't it. Only trouble is it isn't clear as yet whether he did get ****ed. That's not allowed. Limits of ethical hacking etc. Which then implies no smoke equals no fire. Which then means those arguing about freedom are a bunch of paranoids. The sense i'm getting is this TRAI chief is feeling quite smug right now. That's the curious part. Why nobody noticed this

What does TRAI have to do with aadhar :confused: and why is this guy sticking his head in there ??

As for how people get into these positions, that's easy. Showed sufficient drive & initiative. This isn't even a political topic for me, its about how govt like to track people and attendant consequences to privacy

1 You shouldnt post personal details online if you are an influential person and then challenge the Internet to do its worst. Anyone with the basic understanding of Internet should know that.
2 I can explain why he is feeling smug. Google Dunning Kruger effect.

Back