Is Aadhar and mobile linking mandatory

Well airtel has blocked both my SIMs. Probably because I didn't update by Aadhar details. Getting a 'Not registered on network' message.

this cant be because of aadhaar, as other suggested please call Airtel and find out why you getting such error.
If you are on twitter tweet them on @airtelindia & @Airtel_Presence also tag @DoT_India and @manojsinhabjp .

Supreme Court had already passed order against aadhar and i hope soon aadhaar card may be scraped.
reference: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/sup...le-phone-asks-is-everyone-a-terrorist-1833492

Last edited:
Well airtel has blocked both my SIMs. Probably because I didn't update by Aadhar details. Getting a 'Not registered on network' message.

Do you have a 4G phone but non-4G SIMs? I am getting warning messages from Airtel for the past few months that "to enjoy continued service please upgrade to free 4G SIM within X days" :D so far no issues

I said 'from what'. As in both my numbers are not working for me to call their CC. Will stop by the Airtel store on my way back from work.[DOUBLEPOST=1525075904][/DOUBLEPOST]

I said 'from what'. As in both my numbers are not working for me to call their CC. Will stop by the Airtel store on my way back from work.
If you don't know you can very well dial any provider from other nos as well. I call Vodafone from my docomo or landline.
More to that anybody in your house or neighborhood will be happy to offer you a call if they using airtel.

So I went to an Airtel store today evening to get my issue sorted. Long post/ rant incoming. You have been warned.

Bit of background - I have two numbers - the primary that I've given to my work and friends and banks for OTP. The secondary is only with my family. Both the numbers are registered in the name of my dad. Both stopped working over the weekend. I had gotten these more than a decade back (when I was still a minor and didn't have a government ID for getting a new connection). Realizing this, I had gone with my dad along with his Aadhar card to the Airtel Store.

I had already decided that I would only be fixing my primary number - mainly because I've given this to many people and, more importantly, to banks for OTP purposes. For the secondary SIM, I was prepared to give it up and take a Jio connection since it would be easy update the new number with the few people that have it.

Also because **** airtel. This is how companies lose business. They lost one (1/2?) customer today.

Go into the store with dad. I explain the situation. Airtel rep asks me:

Q1) When did it stop working?
A1) Over the weekend, the last SMS I received was sometime late Friday night.

He thinks for a minute.

Q2) Prepaid or Postpaid?
A2) Prepaid.

He thinks for a minute.

Q3) When did you recharge it last?
A3) Last week. (I wanted to tell him that it was a data plan via Amazon Pay, but refrained for giving him any extra information which may confuse him further.)

He thinks for a minute.

Conclusion: There is something wrong with the SIM card. You need to replace it.
Refutation: How did two SIM cards, purchased a couple of years apart (but which were upgraded to 4G SIMs almost simultaneously), on two different devices, develop a flaw within a day or two of each other?

No explanation.
As dad was there with me, I didn't want to argue too much. They filled out a new SIM form. They took dad's aadhar number. Asked him to provide his fingerprint in the machine for verification.

Great. Now the real fun started.

Problem#1 - Their garbage app/ and or the fingerprint reader they use to verify the aadhar credentials and the fingerprints didn't work. I don't know if this a problem with airtel or UIDAI. Dad had to try about 4-5 fingers. Finally, the app they were using managed to detect one of dad's fingerprints.

Problem #2 - For some reason, I don't know why, all our aadhar cards have the details as Mr./ Ms. <dad/mom/me> son daughter of <our respective Mother's name> . Dad, Mom and myself had gotten the cards made at the same center on the same day, one after the other. All our aadhar cards, mine included, have our mother's name. I hadn't even noticed this until today.

Now so far, we've used the aadhar at several instances, mostly at banks, but never had any problem. However, airtel has a problem.

When dad had bought the new connection (pre Aadhar days), he must have supplied a government ID for proof. That was his driving license, which stated that Mr. ABC is the son of <his father's name>. Airtel refused to accept his aadhar card, saying that his details don't match - the 'son of' details don't match because the father name is different from the mother name (duh!).

They asked if we had another ID?

Luckily dad has his DL on him, which contains his father's name. Else he wouldn't have existed as far as airtel is concerned!

So we show them the DL. Now this is supposed to be Digital India. Apps. Connectivity. Paperless Environment. I was waiting for the airtel rep to launch some high-fundo app on his phone to verify the details. I had expected the airtel rep to, at the least, take a photo of the DL.

Instead, and I am seriously not kidding here, he goes to the photocopy shop (which incidentally, happens to be located RIGHT NEXT DOOR) to get a copy of my dad's DL.

Airtel rep then proceeds to fill out a form for a 'SIM Swap', asks me for an alternate contact number (noticing my fuming face, quickly writes down the existing number) and asks my dad to sign on the form, plus a signature on the photocopy of his DL. Luckily he didn't ask for an ink thumb impression...

How long to get the SIM running again?

Tomorrow, late night. /end qoute.

Now I'm waiting for the SIM to activate. If it does. All this happened in Delhi. I am don't even want to think about how people would be handling this if it happened in small town/ villages.

Adding insult to injury, they took Rs. 25 for the new SIM card. Keep it airtel, you're going down soon anyway. Enjoy my contribution to your bottomline.

BTW, in the 20-25 minutes we were there, 2 other customers came and complained that there SIMs weren't working either.

As usual, with Airtel there are no winners... only losers (aka their customers).

Meanwhile, a mini rant on Jio... the only way to get a SIM is to first download their app and provide them with your existing number? WTF is this shit? What if I don't have an existing number?[DOUBLEPOST=1525102721][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do you have a 4G phone but non-4G SIMs? I am getting warning messages from Airtel for the past few months that "to enjoy continued service please upgrade to free 4G SIM within X days" :D so far no issues

No, both are the 128k 4G SIMs or whatever you call them. I did have 3G SIM earlier but "upgraded" when airtel launch 4G.

Last edited:
Beware, SIM card sellers can misuse your Aadhaar biometrics

Next time you want to buy a new Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card for your mobile device, be wary if your retailer tries to take your Aadhaar-linked fingerprints more than once.

The retailer can get a new SIM card activated — without your knowledge — using your thumb impression multiple times. Cases have surfaced of SIM cards thus activated being sold to persons who have then used them to commit crimes.

A SIM card retailer of Yasin Mobiles shop, Mohammed Rahmatullah, in Amberpet of Hyderabad was caught by Department of Telecommunications officials here two days ago on such a charge. “He admitted to have sold over 150 SIM cards fraudulently acquired in this manner. Some of these cards are being used to operate illegal Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone call rackets at different places in the country,” a senior DoT officer told The Hindu.

My sim was also on dads name but got it changed to my name either during lost phone scenario or during the pin puk sim lock issue. This was 13-14yrs ago.

jio-wrong-info.png

Why does Jio say VoLTE is not supported on the Redmi Note 5? Are they purposely giving wrong info to make people download their app and make calls on it?

Everything online is being hacked left and right and they still say its safe and secure because its not their data or money being stolen. once it effects these ministers and babus, they will start singing a different tune.

^ consider the fact that laws and legislations rarely affect the ruling class, congress, bjp or xyz. Rich and powerful people usually get away with anything while the poor always suffer. Those that do get caught are just to be made an example of, and even they get away with a lot. Look at Lalu.

A SIM card retailer of Yasin Mobiles shop, Mohammed Rahmatullah, in Amberpet of Hyderabad was caught by Department of Telecommunications officials here two days ago on such a charge. “He admitted to have sold over 150 SIM cards fraudulently acquired in this manner. Some of these cards are being used to operate illegal Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone call rackets at different places in the country,” a senior DoT officer told The Hindu.
This is just one incident by one guy in one place. Imagine just how many of these activities could be taking place all over the country. My gawd.

^ consider the fact that laws and legislations rarely affect the ruling class, congress, bjp or xyz. Rich and powerful people usually get away with anything while the poor always suffer. Those that do get caught are just to be made an example of, and even they get away with a lot. Look at Lalu.
True. They will just throw their colleagues under the bus. That exact thing happened with Addhaar Aadhaar (I still cannot byheart the spelling ffs). They blamed the company (I don't remember what company it was) who created the technology for them.

This is true. If you want proof, join those "startup groups" on fb and make a post asking for Aadhaar or "database." You'll get plenty on a good day. But I'm not sure if things will have changed knowing that people have been arrested for this.

Last edited:
Back