CPU/Mobo ipmi motherboard recommendation

rajil.s

Adept
Hello,

I want to replace my Asus H87 pro motherboard with a board with supports ipmi. I need atleast two PCI slots to accommodate my legacy cards.

Anybody knows about a board which supports ipmi and has PCI slot?

Thanks

why do you need ipmi in the first place? just trying to understand the requirements.

I was in the same situation when I was researching an IPMI enabled board for my lab PC build. All the indications suggested me that (1) Such a board was pretty expensive for a home lab PC. (2) Add-on IPMI PCI cards were either not available locally or were insanely priced.

Asus X99-WS/IPMI Motherboard - 47K :eek:

IPMI is an open standard. it only allows you to do few things like looking at a linux text console (SOL serial over lan) or to reboot the box or check the hw status. if you want to do more than that like look at live screen, mount a dvd and reformat etc... you need more than IPMI to handle that.

Also, the IPMI/BMC are assumed to be used on LAN and not over internet as exposing IPMI over public networks is a serious security risk.

@booo you are spot on. I only need it to do a remote install (linux only) and reboot the machine in case it's stuck. Of course ipmi will be exposed only through vpn.

Last edited:
IMPI (atleast supermicro one) does allow you to reformat and install from ISO's over the network.

You can pick up a supermicro motherboard (x10slxxx series) from Mumbai from the retailers for about 16k+taxes

For budget, supermicro. If you are planning for a server build, you should go with IBM, heard some horror stories about Dell support recently.

Just, out of curiosity, what are you planning to get? I am saving up to get a Xeon build for lab testing. IPMI is a want-to-have feature.

Back