iOS iPhone 6 screen cracked. Replacement costs 24k in damages?

Sobirvs

Skilled
So I cracked the screen yesterday morning, and went to service center. I had my expectations in 10-15k but the guy said they don't do screen replacement neither do any other service center's.

I went to one in Cyberhub DLF Cybercity Gurgaon.

Costing is 24k and they will give the whole new iPhone, and the price was really shocking to me. Mine is space grey 16gb. Do I have any other option? Also, I can't replace the screen by ordering the screen from aliexpresss as I am aware if done, will get me lose my warranty. Any help, what options I have ? Should I try any different service center? Lemme know!

Sorry to scare you even more but this touch ID thing is another pain in the back when replacing the screen. My wife's 5S lost this feature when screen was replaced by a non apple facility because somehow there's a chip integrated with the screen that gets paired with the motherboard of the phone, and replacement screens cannot be repaired for touch ID.
Dunno if it's the same situation with a 6 also though

Sorry to scare you even more but this touch ID thing is another pain in the back when replacing the screen. My wife's 5S lost this feature when screen was replaced by a non apple facility because somehow there's a chip integrated with the screen that gets paired with the motherboard of the phone, and replacement screens cannot be repaired for touch ID.
damn... and i don't know if they replacement that they provide for 24k is new or refrub. probably a refrub. This really can't get more messy. Never thought I would have to pay half the cost of iPhone 6 for this..

Even if you change the display from third party vendor
The touch id will not work on your handset for sure

damn... and i don't know if they replacement that they provide for 24k is new or refrub. probably a refrub. This really can't get more messy. Never thought I would have to pay half the cost of iPhone 6 for this..
Similar story with the xperia Z series. They don't repair them officially at the service center, just replace with another.

Was your warranty no use here at all ? its still less than a year since the iP6 launched. Had heard how apple had a no questions asked policy in case of any issues bla bla.

Similar story with the xperia Z series. They don't repair them officially at the service center, just replace with another.

Was your warranty no use here at all ? its still less than a year since the iP6 launched. Had heard how apple had a no questions asked policy in case of any issues bla bla.

Standard warranty doesn't cover such damages

Its funny that official price in India is so high. Did they give split details of screen charge and service charge. It seems half in US.
Because they don't repair certain series devices in India. Why ? company policy it would seem.

They are sent abroad. Either you wait a month or so or shell out and get a replacement immediately.

Even if you change the display from third party vendor
The touch id will not work on your handset for sure
Can't one just move the original Touch ID to the new screen by moving the whole Home button assembly. I have seen it done in some video.

Edit - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6+Plus+Home+Button+Assembly+Replacement/29706

The third comment at the end clearly states that this can be done. In fact, I am going to try do the same tomorrow on one of my friend's iPhone 6 whose screen I am replacing for him.

Last edited:
Spending 24k u should had a opted for a third party screen which cost less than 6500
The only different it should had made that touch id would had not worked on that...
Still u could have saved some money

Can't one just move the original Touch ID to the new screen by moving the whole Home button assembly. I have seen it done in some video.

Edit - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone 6 Plus Home Button Assembly Replacement/29706

The third comment at the end clearly states that this can be done. In fact, I am going to try do the same tomorrow on one of my friend's iPhone 6 whose screen I am replacing for him.
Can you update here on your progress, whether successful or not ?

Spending 24k u should had a opted for a third party screen which cost less than 6500
The only different it should had made that touch id would had not worked on that...
Still u could have saved some money
Why do you say so?
Can't the home button assembly be moved from the original screen to the third party screen thereby ensuring Touch ID continues to work.

Can you update here on your progress, whether successful or not ?
100% success moving the home button assembly to the third party screen with working TouchID. In fact moving the front camera/earpiece assembly proved to be a lot more difficult than moving the home button which was a pretty straight forward affair.
Total cost is Rs. 5700 for the screen and Rs. 300 as labor charges had I got it replaced from someone who does this professionally.

Back