iOS iPhone 6 Plus acts like it is possessed - random apps opening and typing

raksrules

Elite
My wife's iPhone 6 plus sometimes acts very weird. This has happened once before (few months back) and now happened again but has stopped or minimized a lot.
What happens is that the phone would start randomly tapping on the screen and open apps and random typing begins in safari and music plays. It literally feels like it is possessed.
At first it seemed that the phone is tapping anywhere on the screen but later after some careful examination, we found that it is only a single column of icons on the screen which is affected. All apps from that column only are opening and nothing else. No matter what page we are on, on springboard, apps on that column will open.
This leads me to believe that there may be a touchscreen / digitizer issue in a specific section of the phone from top to bottom.
At first we thought whether the jailbreak is to be blamed, so I restored phone to latest 8.4 iOS. Then even removed the screenguard.
Problem is that the issue is not happening on demand, it is totally random so there is no definite way to replicate it. We are using original cable and charger only.
I have setup a genius bar appointment for this weekend to show at the apple store but I am not sure how to replicate the problem to prove it. I would really want to get this swapped with a new (refurb?) iPhone 6 Plus as this clearly seems to be a hardware issue.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem before ?

Most probably the touchscreen has gone bad. This type of behaviour was quite common in LG G2 whose topuchscreen is known to give problems.

Ok so it seems the touchscreen has gone bad because the situation got worsened since yesterday, weren't able to unlock the phone, had to repeatedly attempt it.
Even after unlocking, swiping between screens is horrid.
Yesterday, phone was kept on table, unlocked probably and saavn app started and music started playing. This app was in the same column which is affected.
Now it seems entire screen is affected. Taking a backup pf the phone tonight / tomorrow and will be going to genius bar tomorrow.
Hope to get it swapped.

Can anyone tell me that if the apple store offers to swap the phone, any way to get the 64GB model instead ? I am ready to pay X amount if necessary.

They will not swap the phone with different model no even different color(at least in India). If you can just make a video of the issue and show them. Once i had a problem with camera, which happened very rarely like once in 2 months for few seconds in iphone 5s. Even through i was not able to replicate the problem and because warranty was almost over i insisted on replacement and they did replace the phone.

Ok so Apple Store swapped the phone with a brand new 6 plus, same color and same capacity. So no go on upgrade.
They first told me they will replace screen and told me to come after one hour. When I went back they told me that replacing screen was a no go since they software or whatever told that screen replacement also won't resolve issue and hence they swapped for a new phone, not even a refurb. I checked online serial and seems the manufacture date is June 2015.
So this was my first ever experience with Apple support and the Genius Bar.

Glad to know you had a good experience and your issue was resolved quickly :)
Wish you could keep the phone and prank people around you all day long :D
My keyboard does this sometimes as well.

Ok so Apple Store swapped the phone with a brand new 6 plus, same color and same capacity. So no go on upgrade.

I have replaced at least 3 iphones and 2 ipads and they always give brand new pc. Never received any refurbised pc. Even for 1.5 years used device.

Back