iPhone 4 : Operator : Facetime : Working ?

rajshah

Skilled
A guide for people to make an informed decision (about Facetime) while buying an iPhone 4 in India.

List down the operators that are good to go with Facetime on the iPhone 4.

Please also mention if your iPhone 4 is software / factory unlocked.

100% Sure/Confirmed operators only. No hear-say.

iPhone 4 - VodafoneIn Mumbai - Facetime Working - Factory Unlocked

iPhone 4 - Airtel Mumbai - Facetime Working- Factory Unlocked

iPhone 4 - Tata Docomo Mumbai - Facetime Not Activating - Factory Unlocked

iPhone 4 - Idea Goa / Maharashtra - Facetime Working - Factory Unlocked (Confirmed by Anish)

i think, rajshah is pointing out about the facetime activation with specific operators..

FYI @rajshah pls note that facetime activation is done by making an international message to a UK based no. thats what i came to know from my Airtel itemized bill.....

pls check whether the DOCOMO no u r trying to activate has proper ISD messaging subscription. i know u dont need to subscribe to ISD messaging but just in case...

it doesnt depend upon the operator u r using AFAIK....

Hahahahaha Facetime can only work,when the carrier network is switched off and ur Iphone is connected to wifi to buffer the download.......Really some good new lol
One more thing to clear,facetime doesnt has anything to do with factory and non factory unlock...

thirumalkumaran said:
What?

I thought facetime works only with wifi...

What the hell is this, how does the operator come into picture...?

The mobile operator matters for activation. And yes, it works *only* on wifi as of now. But jailbreak does enable endless possibilities :)
vriship said:
i think, rajshah is pointing out about the facetime activation with specific operators..

FYI @rajshah pls note that facetime activation is done by making an international message to a UK based no. thats what i came to know from my Airtel itemized bill.....

pls check whether the DOCOMO no u r trying to activate has proper ISD messaging subscription. i know u dont need to subscribe to ISD messaging but just in case...

it doesnt depend upon the operator u r using AFAIK....
I know about the international message being sent out to the UK #. Read all about it on the iPhone Wiki. Has a lot of good FaceTime related info.

But why would a prepaid number have ISD messaging issues ? I think it might just be that the UK number doesn't realise Indian number starting with 8 ? , just a speculation.

destiny said:
Hahahahaha Facetime can only work,when the carrier network is switched off and ur Iphone is connected to wifi to buffer the download.......Really some good new lol

One more thing to clear,facetime doesnt has anything to do with factory and non factory unlock...
Dude, Where's your Car ?

destiny said:

i dont think so, i can make facetime calls with my network service ON.. and one can use facetime on their 3g network using MY3G from cydia...

rajshah said:
I know about the international message being sent out to the UK #. Read all about it on the iPhone Wiki. Has a lot of good FaceTime related info.

But why would a prepaid number have ISD messaging issues ? I think it might just be that the UK number doesn't realise Indian number starting with 8 ? , just a speculation.

Mine got activated & number starts with 8 ( Vodafone)

rajshah said:
A guide for people to make an informed decision (about Facetime) while buying an iPhone 4 in India.

List down the operators that are good to go with Facetime on the iPhone 4.

Please also mention if your iPhone 4 is software / factory unlocked.

100% Sure/Confirmed operators only. No hear-say.

iPhone 4 - VodafoneIn Mumbai - Facetime Working - Factory Unlocked

iPhone 4 - Airtel Mumbai - Facetime Working- Factory Unlocked

iPhone 4 - Tata Docomo Mumbai - Facetime Not Activating - Factory Unlocked

This is news to me, by the way you can even use an email address as a facetime ID, it doesn't have to be a phone no. That's how I use FaceTime on my iPod Touch 4G. So I don't think FaceTime is carrier dependent.

I dunno what "activation" needs to be done but my FaceTime worked right out of the box when I got it 3 months ago. Airtel Prepaid Chennai Factory Unlocked.

I'm pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the carrier and should even work without a SIM. If it didn't then you ****ed up somewhere else.

tracerbullet said:
This is news to me, by the way you can even use an email address as a facetime ID, it doesn't have to be a phone no. That's how I use FaceTime on my iPod Touch 4G. So I don't think FaceTime is carrier dependent.
On the iPod Touch, there's no option for a Sim, now, is there ? There's a separate FaceTime app. No such thing on an iPhone. That's why it works off the email address.

Anish said:
Idea MH/Goa - Facetime works perfect - FU iPhone 4.
That's news! So, one more operator supports the activation + usage :)

Torch said:
I dunno what "activation" needs to be done but my FaceTime worked right out of the box when I got it 3 months ago. Airtel Prepaid Chennai Factory Unlocked.

I'm pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the carrier and should even work without a SIM. If it didn't then you ****ed up somewhere else.
Thanks for deducing that I ****ed up somewhere :p I have done enough research on this to say, that, it is Carrier dependant. At least as of now, until Apple ties it with the email id like the iPod Touch.

And Airtel is an official carrier, so it will work out of the box :)

My first post already says so, about Airtel.

Facetime looks very simple but there is actually a lot complex technology behind it!

YES! It needs your operator support to initiate/activate it!

PhotostarSR said:
Facetime looks very simple but there is actually a lot complex technology behind it!

YES! It needs your operator support to initiate/activate it!
You are correct. There's a lot of good info on the Wiki about it.

It would be a lot easier if Apple ties it to the email id with the next iOS update. Would make life simple for people switching numbers while traveling !

^^It would be even better if Apple used normal tech..ie video calling over 3G like we have in all the 3G handsets.

Facetime in the current form is useless for 98% of the users.

PhotostarSR said:
^^It would be even better if Apple used normal tech..ie video calling over 3G like we have in all the 3G handsets.

Facetime in the current form is useless for 98% of the users.

for me, it's cross platform compatibility that makes FaceTime a win. Any new mac with iSight cam and SL 10.6.4 can connect over FaceTime with an iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4G. It's damn convenient for all mac users.

Back