iPad 4 vs Nexus 10

My iPad 2 plays 1080p mkv files brilliantly without any conversion, I use AV Player HD and its brilliant. Of course, since I have 64gb, never felt the need to depend on DLNA streaming, though that works well too.

My iPad 2 plays 1080p mkv files brilliantly without any conversion, I use AV Player HD and its brilliant. Of course, since I have 64gb, never felt the need to depend on DLNA streaming, though that works well too.

AV Player HD plays them fine. It is the streaming issues that are perturbing me.

Just to give you an idea I am talking about over 10GB mkv 1080p rips. There are dropped frames all the time.
I just finished playing a game of virtual tennis HD with my friend online and it sure is addictive.
Am confused again.
Argh, if I can only solve this issue of DLNA streaming, this thing would be golden.

First of all, I'd hate to waste a 10gb movie rip on the iPad...they all go streaming to my 50 inch TV. Now if you have to do it, the problem is not with the iPad, its the either the processor in your PC or the router. For your sake, I just tried streaming a movie though Universal Media Server 2.2.0 on my PC and AirAV app on my iPad...a 12gb rip of Taken2...it played well, no frame drops. Make sure you dont choose the 'no encoding' option. Now if your processor and router are good enough you will be good to go.

^ first of all I would hate wasting so much resolution for a 10" 'retina' screen. :p
Guys, I bought an iPad 4 yesterday because my only main use is gaming for which this turned out to be better. I always believed and now am experiencing for real how crippled iOS is and would never be able to do if this was my primary device. I bought this because I already have an android phone, only to perform the tasks of gaming and some browsing and media consumption. I dont regret being an android user all my life and will always be.I had to buy it yesterday itself because I was unable to decide since many days and have been putting of the purchase, so had to take a strong stand. Thanks everyone :)

@rdst_1
buddy,try setting up oplayer HD for FTP transfer.
I tried a Dark knight BR rip (more than 14GB in size,ripped myself)last night and it played perfectly on ipad 2!
Are you sure your router is not acting up?
Can you stream those rips in Android devices using same router?

Last edited by a moderator:
good to see the super awesome Skifta release for iOS. It was the best dlna app in android. @rdst_1 try it if it helps :)

... I always believed and now am experiencing for real how crippled iOS is and would never be able to do if this was my primary device.)
The only restriction I find irritating is inability of Safari to download stuffs(.doc,ppt and pdf are supported though)
Try opening large(>100MB)pdf with lot of pictures in any Android tablet and do the same in iPad,see the difference.

try changing the ringtones or as it turns out streaming 10 gb videos on your ipaD and see the difference...or better still just try to put live widgets on the screen and see the difference...are live wallpapers supported now? for the best tablet in the world this is just some of the hundred of things it cant do...havent even come to overclocking or undervolting yet

@rdst_1
buddy,try setting up oplayer HD for FTP transfer.
I tried a Dark knight BR rip (more than 14GB in size,ripped myself)last night and it played perfectly on ipad 2!
Are you sure your router is not acting up?
Can you stream those rips in Android devices using same router?

Yes I was able to stream those RIPs on my Note 2.

I will try OPlayer HD right now.

try changing the ringtones or as it turns out streaming 10 gb videos on your ipaD and see the difference...or better still just try to put live widgets on the screen and see the difference...are live wallpapers supported now? for the best tablet in the world this is just some of the hundred of things it cant do...havent even come to overclocking or undervolting yet
Oh!Oh! You were talking about ringtones and widgets and live wallpapers.....you win mate!I am speechless!!
Regarding oc and uv,no mate..it is not possible and not needed...I do understand the need of undervolting in N10,but my aging ipad2's battery still refuses to die before a couple of days!
On a serious note,try finding a good MIDI controller or a good Pages/keynote/GarageBand
alternative for Android.
But you probably won't need them,you are happy playing with your widgets and live wallpapers...and when they screw up the battery...try some undervolting scripts....oh!there you go!Another SOD...time for some XDA!

Oh!Oh! You were talking about ringtones and widgets and live wallpapers.....you win mate!I am speechless!!
Regarding oc and uv,no mate..it is not possible and not needed...I do understand the need of undervolting in N10,but my aging ipad2's battery still refuses to die before a couple of days!

haha it is not like the need ...if you compare the horsepower of an Ipad by running simultaneous apps...oh sorry it cant do that...then only we could have known if they have actually put in a processor inside...you dont need to wait for downloads to finish while looking at the screen waiting foolishly...

As per battery life I can make the life of N10 last longer than your Ipad...I can bet on that just bring it around and run full HD videos and we will see who wins...oh sorry Ipad doesnt have a good resolution so its like Nokia 3300 lasting 1 week...which is useless to compare to the highest resolution device

Ok. So i tried with OPlayer HD. Samba server access was fine. I tried 720p and they are playing well, but even they were stuttering a little bit.But OPlayer HD recently dropped support for AC3 audio and also like in other cases 1080p content isn't playing.

There was a reason I had asked whether it was my router which was having trouble pushing such high bandwidth content.

The 10GB 720 rip of Gladiator is playing fine vis AVPlayer HD but not while accessing via OPlayer from my PC.

Also to put things in perspective, these files are on my external HDD which is connected to my PC via USB 3 port.

^^As he can play the same rip natively with oplayer but it is stuttering while streamed off through SMB/FTP,what else can be the problem?

Back