iPad 4 vs Nexus 10

rdst_1

Skilled
I had my mind set on ordering a Nexus 10 from US, but I read somewhere that Android has few to negligible tablet specific apps whereas iPad reign supreme when it comes to apps designed for tablets.

Now I don't want this to turn into an iOS vs Android thread.

I just want honest opinions from people who have used both iPads and Android tablets as to how much it affects your daily use. I use a lot of native Google apps and thus would prefer going the Android way but I don't want to use garish looking apps all day just because they are just scaled up versions of phone apps.
One of my friends who has uses both a Nexus 10 and iPad said that on the Nexus 10 he ended up using the browser for most of his uses and that is something that is off putting for me. I want to use the apps and not the browser and that is why I am a bit sceptical.

Like I said waiting to hear peoples opinions who have used both kinda tablets.

Although i am not someone to comment on android tablets as i have not used any (except android on my HP touchpad before i sold it), i do own an iPad 2 and i am completely satisfied with it. Yes there are lots of tablet specific apps in iOS and i have many apps like Banking, amazon, ebay etc which i have both on iPhone and iPad and both have completely different layout as per the device with the iPad giving more of the information and UI tailored for tablet use.
Apart from that the app store does not stop you from downloading an iPhone specific app to iPad in case there is no iPad version, just that it will be scaled up when opened and used but will still be very much usable.
Let me know if you want any more specific information on the iPad.

I had tried nexus and currently use both second and third gen iPad.
Nexus apps are just overstretched phone apps and no native apps.
And iPad 4 has even better cpu. Along with apps of iOS.
iPad makes it better deal anyday.

I have been using N10 for the past month and I can honestly say there has not been a single app which I have needed and is not optimized for tablets...probably cricbuzz is the only one I have needed which isnt optimized yet. You can rest assured that all Ipad apps would be available on Android within a year. The screen is amazing and the 1080 playback is smooth as butter with Hardware encoding

Is it ok if it is the iPad 2 vs Transformer Pad TF300 comparison?

Absolutely. My dilemma is regarding whether tablet specific apps are really that big a deal. It doesn't matter which exact tablet you had used but should be an iPad and an Android tablet.

I have been using N10 for the past month and I can honestly say there has not been a single app which I have needed and is not optimized for tablets...probably cricbuzz is the only one I have needed which isnt optimized yet. You can rest assured that all Ipad apps would be available on Android within a year. The screen is amazing and the 1080 playback is smooth as butter with Hardware encoding

I use all native Google apps including Google Voice, a few games, ES file explorer, Whatsapp, Tapatalk, Facebook and eBay and that's it. I use Google drive a lot to maintain my finances. So if all these are covered then I would rather buy the N10 as I know that native Google appps are better on Android with richer features. I have an amazing offer for the 32GB N10 from an eBay seller which will actually cost me less than what it will cost me if I buy from Google with taxes and shipping.

So if these apps are covered I am gonna pull the trigger today itself and just sell the iPad 4 locally when I receive on the 11th.

Google apps are all optimized including drive and g plus. Fb has released an app for tablets but as usual fb apps are pathetic (might be the case on iOS). Whatsapp as far as I know is not supported on tablets. Tapatalk recently released HD beta version for tabs which is free as of now. Ebay just downloaded to check and it looks decent am not sure if it is different but didnt look stretched to me...I used to use ES earlier but have recently shifted to solid explorer...both are optimized on n10

any other apps?

I use all native Google apps including Google Voice, a few games, ES file explorer, Whatsapp, Tapatalk, Facebook and eBay and that's it. I use Google drive a lot to maintain my finances. So if all these are covered then I would rather buy the N10 as I know that native Google appps are better on Android with richer features. I have an amazing offer for the 32GB N10 from an eBay seller which will actually cost me less than what it will cost me if I buy from Google with taxes and shipping.

So if these apps are covered I am gonna pull the trigger today itself and just sell the iPad 4 locally when I receive on the 11th.

As always with the app situation, what matters is what apps you use personally. iPad definitely has more tablet specific apps than Android, but matters not unless there are specific apps you need exclusively available on iPad. As for the apps you mention, not only are they tablet optimized on Android (except Whatsapp), but many are better than their iOS counterparts. In your case, the app scenario actually ends up being better on Android. iPad 4 is a better gaming device though, more because of its awesome GPU.

Thanks guys. Gonna place the order for N10 tonight. I only use the apps I mentioned and therefore N10 makes more sense to me as I won't have to go through loops to get my media onto my tablet. Plus the added benefits of using USB OTG.

Absolutely. My dilemma is regarding whether tablet specific apps are really that big a deal. It doesn't matter which exact tablet you had used but should be an iPad and an Android tablet.

Well, I’ll just post some impressions. The TF300 was able to play 1080p content smoothly without hiccups whereas the iPad 2 with the old VLC app. couldn’t, possibly owing to the old hardware on the iPad 2 or maybe the hardware isn’t optimized. The file played like a slideshow. There was one instance when I tried accessing eBay over a browser (Firefox IIRC) and there were a couple of other tabs open. The page would just not load! This was due to some Flash issue I was told by my roomie - I am not sure if that was exactly the case. Whereas on the iPad, it quickly loaded on Safari and I did a transaction without any hiccups. Gaming was a lot more smoother and refined when I tried Dead Space on both the devices. I had completed the title on the iPad 2 some time back but when the app. hit the Android OS, I had recommended it to my roomie but the experience was a tad different on the TF300! Controls were a bit tacky and felt unresponsive. He keeps playing Temple Run all the time and that game works fine by the looks of it.

I have an amazing offer for the 32GB N10 from an eBay seller which will actually cost me less than what it will cost me if I buy from Google with taxes and shipping.

Which ebay listing or seller are you referring to? I don't see anything below 41K for the 32GB Nexus 10.

just found out there is an app called facedroid which is specifically facebook app made for tablets...its available on the play store for 56 inr at the moment

I just received my iPad 4 from HS18. I had ordered it from the Superdeals a few days ago. Every google app I use apart from Voice and Talk have superb support from Google.
I don't like the way the media is played from my PC by using streamer services which converts the files using my PC resources on the fly. Why? Because that would mean that I can't use a cheap atom based file/media server as a streaming source.
Also some of my files couldn't be converted, but that is a different issue as I had trouble playing files with DTS audio on Android as well.
I am not sure that I am gonna keep it or not but as it was available for cheaper price and with warranty, I thought I'd give it a try. I am gonna use it for a couple of more days and if I don't run into major problems I am gonna not buy the Nexus 10.
I so wish that this was jailbroken because that really lifts all these silly limitations. Lets hope that they come out with a jailbreak soon. If this media server thing doesn't work out, I will wait for like a week and I think I will be able to sell it off locally for as much as I bought it for.

Congratulations on your new purchase...Now android can play dts files too with archos player and free codec pack thats available...it also plays it using hw acceleration on my n10 which means the blurays are completely lag free as well...

Congratulations on your new purchase...Now android can play dts files too with archos player and free codec pack thats available...it also plays it using hw acceleration on my n10 which means the blurays are completely lag free as well...

Care to explain, the DTS part, I use MX player

Back