Intel Quietly Adds New Chipsets into Lineup, ASUS Debuts New Mainboards.

Darklord

Skilled
Without making any announcements to the general public, Intel Corp. added its i915GL and i915PL chipsets into lineup of core-logic offerings recently, confirming earlier reports about i915-series chipsets with cut-down specifications, particularly without DDR2 memory support.

Intel’s i915PL and i915GL chipsets support dual-channel PC3200 (400MHz) memory only, instead of supporting both DDR and DDR2 which is a standard for the i915P and i915G chipsets, but still boast with support for LGA775 processors and PCI Express interconnection. In contrast to usual i915-series chipsets, the i915PL and i915GL support only 2GB of memory, not 4GB of RAM.

The world’s largest mainboard maker ASUSTeK Computer was first to start shipments of its P5GPL mainboard powered by i915PL core-logic. The platform supports Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron D processors in LGA775 packaging with 800MHz or 533MHz processor system bus, 4 DIMMs for DDR memory, PCI Express x16 slot for graphics cards, two PCI Express x1 slots for add-in cards, 3 PCI slots, built-in Gigabit Ethernet, 7.1 high definition audio as well as other caps, such as USB 2.0.

Source -
Xbitlabs

this just shows the low acceptance of the new chipsets and the new socket.
The concept or technology isnt bad but the boards with DDR2 are freaking expensive and the normal range of CPUs for LGA775 are still based on the Prescott Core,which surely isnt a great news.

Everybody had expected that the heating issue would be addressed in LGA775 but it wasnt.

What came in was an excellent cooler but still that doesnt solve the problem.

unless and until Intel chipset boards are priced reasonabley [cheap],their acceptance is hard as the new P4 offers no performance boosts.

I believe tht the 865PE and the 875P were the best offerings from intel but somehow they were destined to be shortlived...cos intel was too hasty in introducing their 915/925x chipsets which though feature rich didnt find tht much acceptance from the mainstream market and virtually no acceptance from the enthusiasts...
I hav a feelin tht even the 915/925 gonna go down the gutter very soon as intel is busy workin on the 945/955 chipsets...
The 915 is to be replaced by the 945 (Lakeport), and the 925 by the 955 (Glenwood). There aren't many fundamental differences in the Northbridge here. Both chipsets will support FSB1066 and DDR2-667, with the 955X now handling up to 8 GB of main memory, with optional ECC.

Even the southbridge will get the ICh7 edition which will support sata2 and raid5 which shud be an easy task for the dual core processors tht the chipset will be supporting....
I feel tht the best and the longest standing chipset from intel was 845g/p...it still is available and performs comparably alongside an 865..

Off topic...its gr8 to c u after so long darklord...:) Keep up the good work...n keep it comin...

CaaYoTee said:
I believe tht the 865PE and the 875P were the best offerings from intel but somehow they were destined to be shortlived...cos intel was too hasty in introducing their 915/925x chipsets which though feature rich didnt find tht much acceptance from the mainstream market and virtually no acceptance from the enthusiasts...
I hav a feelin tht even the 915/925 gonna go down the gutter very soon as intel is busy workin on the 945/955 chipsets...
The 915 is to be replaced by the 945 (Lakeport), and the 925 by the 955 (Glenwood). There aren't many fundamental differences in the Northbridge here. Both chipsets will support FSB1066 and DDR2-667, with the 955X now handling up to 8 GB of main memory, with optional ECC.

Even the southbridge will get the ICh7 edition which will support sata2 and raid5 which shud be an easy task for the dual core processors tht the chipset will be supporting....
I feel tht the best and the longest standing chipset from intel was 845g/p...it still is available and performs comparably alongside an 865..

Off topic...its gr8 to c u after so long darklord...:) Keep up the good work...n keep it comin...

I hav a feelin tht even the 915/925 gonna go down the gutter very soon as intel is busy workin on the 945/955 chipsets...-----------> You stole my words there buddy,bang on target. ;)

Also Heating Issue with Prescotts is still hanging in the air.Intel doesnt seem to have a solution over it.Also 925 based boards were freakin expensive whereas Nforce4 SLi based boards are comparitively more cheaper. ;)

Off topic...its gr8 to c u after so long darklord...:) Keep up the good work...n keep it comin.----------> Good to see you too,see you around. ;)

I hav a feelin tht even the 915/925 gonna go down the gutter very soon as intel is busy workin on the 945/955 chipsets...-----------> You stole my words there buddy,bang on target.

The main reason the new chipsets is because the current line wont support the upcoming dual cores. Even the 925XE which supports 1066FSB wont support dual cored Pentium 4. Sad but true.

I somehow feel tht Intel is confused about what feature sets it shud incorporate in its chipset line up as very often than not (atleast in the last 2-3 yrs) they keep coming up wid chipset revisions and this in turn creates a lot of confusion for prospective buyers who find it increasingly difficult to keep up wid the revised information as to what chipset supports what feature....and this confusion makes people look other ways...and here the only other way seems to be the AMD/Nvidia or AMD/via camp.....not good if intel wants to hold on to their customers...

Back