Intel announces anti-virus software for smartwatches

AMG

Skilled
Intel just announced anti-virus software for smartwatches. Yes, that's right, for smartwatches. The chip maker is bundling its McAfee Mobile Security suite with LG's recently announced Watch Urbane LTE. I'm not sure why, and I don't think Intel is either. I asked Intel CEO Brian Krzanich why a smartwatch needs anti-virus software, and he compared the wrist-worn gadgets to air conditioners.

"Although we may think that a watch is a simple device that collects our heart rate data, some people may care about that personal data as well," explained Krzanich. Discussing security vulnerabilities on various hardware, Krzanich says breaches "actually occurred through very generic devices like air conditioners." Krzanich is likely referring to part of the Target breach, but complex and legacy industrial machinery shouldn't dictate modern device security. "I think that any device that connects to your network, you’re going to want to have protected over time," says Krzanich. So get used to it, if Intel has its way then smartwatches will be scanning your wrist for malware. The future is truly here.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/2/81...martwatches-saddest-day-in-history-of-mankind

Back